Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

skier14

Feb 10, 2014, 9:28 AM

Post #1 of 5 (2862 views)

Shortcut

Crossing from Tijuana

Can't Post | Private Reply
I live in Guadalajara and hold a Residente Permanente card and am going to San Diego after flying to Tijuana in March. I plan to return the same rouute. How do I handle Migration? Way cheaper to fly to Tijuana than LAX or SAN.

viktoremski

Feb 10, 2014, 10:46 AM

Post #2 of 5 (2837 views)

Shortcut

Re: [skier14] Crossing from Tijuana

If you are crossing on foot, your passport will not be stamped by US immigration on the way north, and there is no immigration checkpoint at all on the way south. I cross back and forth almost every day. No stamps are required, and INM does not care about this.
However, when I acquired at Tijuana INM, I was advised that if I plan on a longer (or overseas) vacation, I should get a stamp from mexican INM. That means that right before getting to US gates, where there is a pharmacy on your right hand side, you need to climb a few steps against the traffic of pedestrians entering Mexico. Inside the building there is aduana and imigracion for pedestrians. Explain to them that you need a stamp showing that you're leaving Mexico. Once you get that, you go back down the stairs, and continue to US gates. Do not forget to ask for another stamp showing your return date when you head back south.

playaboy

Feb 10, 2014, 11:51 AM

Post #3 of 5 (2822 views)

Shortcut

Re: [skier14] Crossing from Tijuana

Vikto info is for the San Ysidro crossing. At Otay Mesa, you have to walk to the "enter into Mexico side" and then cross the car traffic to the US side. There is an INM booth in the airport terminal terminal building. They will stamp you there if they are open.

Vikto, how much longer is the construction scheduled to continue?

viktoremski

Feb 10, 2014, 12:23 PM

Post #4 of 5 (2817 views)

Shortcut

Re: [playaboy] Crossing from Tijuana

"Vikto, how much longer is the construction scheduled to continue?"
-not really sure...
Vic

JuanCha

Feb 14, 2014, 12:54 PM

Post #5 of 5 (2705 views)

Shortcut

Re: [playaboy] Crossing from Tijuana

The INM inmigracion booth at the TJ airport is often apparently unattended. Knock on the desk, as there is small room attached where the agent sometimes stays unnoticed; at other times, one may have to send someone looking for the migra person elsewhere in the airport. All this assumes one has enough time to hunt for the agent.
JuanCha de: Santa Fe NM, San Cristobal de Las Casas Chiapas, San Diego CA

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4