First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

YucaLandia

Feb 6, 2014, 6:56 AM

Post #26 of 27 (10342 views)

Shortcut

Re: [charlie131120] Smelly bathrooms

Can't Post | Private Reply
Concrete can get moldy.

Our Yucatecan plumbers enjoy installing uphill drain-pipes from sinks and uphill sewer-lines.** Sewer and drain plumbing is not designed for standing water. Water-logged concrete does mold. I've had to fix the slope problem, and then chip out all softened concrete - and repatch... *sigh*
Happy Trails, steve

**I've had to re-slope 2 drains in our home, one shower drain pipe in another friends home, sink drain pipe in other homes, and gave up on a second floor drain that ran uphill cross the length of the house through the floor (ceiling for the first floor) - and just built up the floor of the shower to keep nasty black water from standing in the shower.... ugly...
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

Adios

Feb 6, 2014, 1:57 PM

Post #27 of 27 (10326 views)

Shortcut

Re: [YucaLandia] Smelly bathrooms

Can't Post |
Yes - the bathroom I am most focused on is the master bath. It has a large, three-paned skylight, and while there is no sign of mold/mildew on the wall under the glass, there is some peeling/cracking that we need to repair. Everyone who has seen it says - oh that is nothing - but we like to stay on top of things.

Also - the previous owner had vines growing all over the outside wall of the bathroom. I've removed them but have not yet addressed the wall surface which needs some work.

I also learned today that the street-side boxes that I thought were related to sewage are in fact for the underground utilities in the community. We have a septic 'field' at the lowest corner of the lot. I guess it is something that is maintenance free because there is a big propane tank sitting on top of it. I guess we don't have any uphill issue.

I got hung up on the drains being the cause of the odors because our realtor's brother, a civil eng., came by with his 2 plumbers - and they declared the drains were the issue. At this point I'm not so sure.
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4