Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

cbettis57

Jan 27, 2014, 1:37 PM

Post #1 of 8 (3520 views)

Shortcut

car rental @ Guadalajara airport

Can't Post | Private Reply
First question: on American Turista visa, can I rent a car? Second, any recommendations for a rental out of the Guadalajara airport? We will have two small children and need it for about a week.

rvgringo

Jan 27, 2014, 2:09 PM

Post #2 of 8 (3513 views)

Shortcut

Re: [cbettis57] car rental @ Guadalajara airport

All of the major rental companies are represented there and most of them can be found online. You may find using taxis a more economical and efficient alternative. If planning a long trip, the luxury buses are wonderful.

cbettis57

Jan 27, 2014, 2:28 PM

Post #3 of 8 (3508 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rvgringo] car rental @ Guadalajara airport

Thanks - I like all of those ideas but we will need a car for different reasons. So no problem on tourist visa right, w/US drivers license?

cbettis57

Jan 27, 2014, 2:56 PM

Post #4 of 8 (3504 views)

Shortcut

And is it really like $12 US a day? So how much is the daily insurance, is that where they getcha?

rvgringo

Jan 27, 2014, 3:02 PM

Post #5 of 8 (3502 views)

Shortcut

I have no idea where you got that price, but it is way, way off. The insurance is often more than the rental, I hear.
However, I have not rented, so others will have to give you current quotes.

RickS

Jan 27, 2014, 7:34 PM

Post #6 of 8 (3482 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rvgringo] car rental @ Guadalajara airport

Looking at the common websites like rentalcar.com, one does in fact see cars listed for those kinds of charges ($12). A Jetta, for example, is listed at $17 + 16% tax. This does not, as you suggest, include Collision Waver insurance which is another $11 which would be a total of $33/day for the Jetta. It's been a while since I've rented in Mexico but I think if one suggests that they want to decline the insurance, the car agency will want to slap a charge on your credit card equal to the amount of the value of the car.... bring it back without any dents and you get the deposit back, but......

Also, don't forget to tell your visa card issuer that you will be using your card in Mexico. If not, most won't let a charge go through.

chinagringo

Jan 27, 2014, 8:02 PM

Post #7 of 8 (3481 views)

Shortcut

I have been playing and fighting the game with the "rental car cartels" for years. The daily rate means nothing because the real costs are in the insurance that they force you into taking. Supplemental Liability Insurance is mandatory and there isn't a credit policy out there that covers liability. As for comp, collision, theft, personal injury and personal effects - most agencies hit you with an a la carte menu that adds up in a real hurry. Try to claim that you are covered with coverages offered by your credit company and they will say: "fine but we are going to charge your card with anywhere from $5K to $40K deposit" depending on the value of the car you are renting. Take a look at the Alamo Protection Plus Plan that they offer for $35/day. To my knowledge they are the only one I know who offers a defined insurance package.

I am working with a new franchise as we speak where I may be able to beat the system but I won't know for sure until Feb 8th. For that reason, I cannot post untested details.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

cbettis57

Jan 29, 2014, 6:39 AM

Post #8 of 8 (3434 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] car rental @ Guadalajara airport

As I suspected...oh well, it is what it is. Thanks all!

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4