Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

Zorro64

Jan 24, 2014, 1:47 PM

Post #1 of 4 (2864 views)

Shortcut

Want to take a rabbit to Mexico

Can't Post | Private Reply
My husband and I are in a tight spot right now with his visa denied and he is in poor health. We have not seen each other for two years and if our new lawyer (3rd one to date) says it is OK for me to visit, I have a pet angora rabbit that I would like to take to Mexico for my six month visit. I cannot find any where with information about how to do this. I have traveled to Mexico frequently with my dogs without issue. Most of the time the officials never even ask for the dogs records whether coming or going in either direction (USA or MEX).

My previous visits have been on a 180-day tourist visa since we do not have validated income to apply for other immigrant or temporary visas. I currently have a small farm and would love to move my animals to Mexico if there is a way to import goats, rabbits, sheep or to have a consultant arrange the move somehow.
Attachments: Zorro1.jpg (138 KB)
  Georgie 3weeks.jpg (170 KB)

Aaron+

Jan 26, 2014, 7:37 AM

Post #2 of 4 (2788 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Zorro64] Want to take a rabbit to Mexico

The US Dept. of Agriculture's APHIS reports that Mexico bars entry to rabbits owing to a 2010 report of disease in rabbits in Minnesota (!). See: http://www.aphis.usda.gov/.../animal_mexico.shtml APHIS shows the pages as last being updated on 1/14/2014. Not specifically noted is whether APHIS has recently checked with Mexico to see if the ban is still in effect. You could check with APHIS to see if you could confirm the info, and, if ok, what you would need to do also to bring your rabbit back into the USA. Or you could talk with Mexican animal control folks at the border (if near to you).

Sorry to hear about your family's visa issues. Am assuming your husband has been residing in Mexico.

Zorro64

Jan 26, 2014, 8:25 AM

Post #3 of 4 (2779 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Aaron+] Want to take a rabbit to Mexico

Thank you! I just had no idea where to start, as I had also read that about the ban on rabbits. The U.S. does not restrict rodents in any way. I brought ten rabbits back from Mexico the last time I came back. And, yes, my husband has a ranch in Mexico which keeps him busy. Thank you again.

rvgringo

Jan 26, 2014, 9:16 AM

Post #4 of 4 (2766 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Zorro64] Want to take a rabbit to Mexico

If your husband is a Mexican citizen, you may go for a 180 day visit on a tourist permit and apply to INM for a Residente Permanented Visa under the vuncula familial rules, as I understand it.
As for all the animals: It might be best to sell out and re-stock in Mexico, since moving them will be expensive and complicated.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4