Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > North Pacific Region

MayaDoc

Jan 18, 2014, 8:38 PM

Post #1 of 12 (11223 views)

Shortcut

When is best time of year to visit Mazatlan?

Can't Post | Private Reply
We'd like to get to know Mazatlan and surrounding area. We prefer to skip the rainy season. We'd like to stay in an apartment or house for a week, preferrably with a view to the ocean.

Suggestions and recommendations would be appreciated. We're nature lovers and would appreciate suggestions about what not to miss and referrals to restaurants and other places of interest.

Is it a good idea to rent a car for this area or can we get by on public transportation?

Thank you for your help!

MayaDoc

mazbeach

Jan 19, 2014, 6:24 AM

Post #2 of 12 (11202 views)

Shortcut

Re: [MayaDoc] When is best time of year to visit Mazatlan?

Buen Dia

We have lived in Mazatlan full time for over seven years and have no plans to return north, other than to briefly visit family. I you want to avoid the rainy season, in runs from late June into early October. Actually, the rain here tends to last only a couple of hours, and then late day in the evening. The humidity you might not care for at first, but you get used to it.

If possible, you need to be a bit more specific on what you want to know, mainly what you anticipate for a life style. Some of us avoid the foreigner thing and places, but others congregate with only foreigners. We chose to live in a middle class Mexican neighborhood and it has been wonderful. Maybe not for everybody, but good for us.

Public transportation here is incredible; bus, taxi pulmonia. Be aware that renting a car is expensive, if you want to go out of town on your own.

There are a couple of local forums here that could also help. Let us know if you don't have their URL.

Marlene / Moderator

Jan 19, 2014, 11:41 AM

Post #3 of 12 (11174 views)

Shortcut

Hi! Thanks for asking! I think the best weather months to visit here are April-May and late November-early December. As far as renting a car, there is is no need to do that and you would find it more hassle than it's worth. Our public transportation is plentiful, you can hire a driver for a couple of hours or a full day, for very a reasonable price. Then just sit back and enjoy the scenery. There is lots to see and do here, depending on personal preferences. And of course, the shrimp! You won't find a restaurant that doesn't serve it!

The locals of Mazatlán are incredibly friendly and helpful, which is one of the reasons I chose this spot over other places. I'd be happy to answer any questions you have, right here on this forum. Ask away!

MayaDoc

Jan 23, 2014, 2:59 PM

Post #4 of 12 (11084 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mazbeach] When is best time of year to visit Mazatlan?

Hello Mazbeach

I have a lot to learn about computers and I wasn't able to post a public reply to your last two messages. I'll figure it out. Some of the messages say Reply and Private Reply and others just one or the other.

Thank you for the info about the neighborhoods that I might be interested in visiting. I also appreciate the URL's where I may find a variety of information about Mazatlan.

As a preventive health care practitioner, I'm interested in meeting others in the healing arts. If you have suggestions, I'd be grateful.

Thank you for your generosity.
MayaDoc

mazbeach

Jan 23, 2014, 4:27 PM

Post #5 of 12 (11073 views)

Shortcut

One that comes to mind is Hospice Mazatlan. They do a lot of good here, and hospice care and home visits are not very common in Mexico. Their web site is
http://www.hospicemazatlan.org/

The two forums I mentioned can be a reasonable source of information and for asking questions. As with all forums, sometimes you might see little personality quirks. A Google search will lead you to a number of other sites, and there are a number of people who have blogs that might prove interesting. I sent you one, but there are others.

As I suggested earlier, Marlene might be able to help with the neighborhoods. She's the moderator here, her husband grew up in colonia Reforma (not too far from our house) and they have a service where they assist people with housing. I don't believe they are real estate agents, but rather serve as agents for property owners to arrange rentals. I've never met them but they have a pretty good reputation locally.

Have fun with the research!

(This post was edited by RickS on Jan 23, 2014, 4:37 PM)

MayaDoc

Jan 24, 2014, 6:38 AM

Post #6 of 12 (11048 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mazbeach] When is best time of year to visit Mazatlan?

Muchisimas gracias for the info about hospice work. I've done some of that type of work and I look forward to meeting the people who are behind it in Mazatlan.

I appreciate Marlene's background and will contact her to help me find a rental.

Thank you again.

Brian

Jan 29, 2014, 6:38 AM

Post #7 of 12 (10952 views)

Shortcut

Carnaval

mazbeach

Jan 29, 2014, 8:12 AM

Post #8 of 12 (10930 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Brian] When is best time of year to visit Mazatlan?

Only if you don't stay in Centro!!

MayaDoc

Jan 29, 2014, 12:46 PM

Post #9 of 12 (10897 views)

Shortcut

Thanks Brian, but is there only one Carnaval? And when does it take place?

Brian

Jan 29, 2014, 1:21 PM

Post #10 of 12 (10888 views)

Shortcut

Feb 27-March 4

http://www.carnavalmazatlan.net

MayaDoc

Jan 29, 2014, 6:09 PM

Post #11 of 12 (10862 views)

Shortcut

Gracias Brian. Looks like it would be fun.

AmyMajors

May 6, 2014, 3:30 AM

Post #12 of 12 (9529 views)

Shortcut

Ofcourse Caranaval

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4