Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

Mexicanbill

Jan 18, 2014, 11:18 AM

Post #1 of 11 (7961 views)

Shortcut

Heading North

Can't Post | Private Reply
We will be heading back up north in a few weeks/From Puerto Vallarta up to Eagle Pass. We will be staying on toll roads as much as possible and traveling only in the daylight hours, stopping for the night sometime between 4 and 5 pm.

We could use some information on hotels/motels to stay in that will protect our car and allow 2 small dogs.

A road guide refresher would also help. I have the map but not always sure it has the right information on it.

We got chased by bad guys with guns on the way down because my nephew, who lives in Mexico and was riding with us, new a shortcut by the town of Tequila and it was about 5 am, still very dark. It was the wildest 15 mile chase of my life and I don't want to go through something like that again. (my SUV outran their small dodge or I might not be writing this today)
Chef William aka MexicanBill

chicois8

Jan 18, 2014, 3:09 PM

Post #2 of 11 (7916 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Mexicanbill] Heading North

Just curious what was the "short cut" you were on near Tequila?
Rincon de Guayabitos,Nayarit
San Mateo, California

chinagringo

Jan 18, 2014, 6:12 PM

Post #3 of 11 (7888 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chicois8] Heading North

It is the very secret shortcut to use when you want to create an interesting story. Not saying it didn't happen but one small segment of a drive NOB that could present numerous problems depending on the chosen route or maybe none at all.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

RickS

Jan 18, 2014, 7:03 PM

Post #4 of 11 (7882 views)

Shortcut

"...and it was about 5 am, still very dark."

Bill, Bill, Bill!!! After all the checking and asking and planning on the safest route you did before coming down, then you go driving around at 5 a.m. on a back road in the dark. I'll bet your nephew won't be calling the shots again. ;>)

Motels will depend on how early a start you get from PV and how far you like to drive in a day and whether you want to go back through San Luis Potosi or Zacatecas. Sunrise in PV (Jalisco) is around 7:30; sunset in either Zacatecas or Potosi is 6:30 so you have 'only' a drive time of 10 hours max. Drive time to each of these cities is about 8.5 hours plus stops.

Do you have a preferred route?

robt65

Jan 18, 2014, 10:08 PM

Post #5 of 11 (7856 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Heading North

Hi RickS,
Some folks only learn by "stepping in it"!!!! I know on my first few times heading down to Tampico / Altamira, I did for sure, . . . . . . . . had to get a new pair of shoes!!!! (smiling) No longer living in Tamps!!!!
Regards,
Robt65

Mexicanbill

Jan 19, 2014, 3:07 PM

Post #6 of 11 (7781 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chicois8] Heading North

I really don't know the area/ We had planned to stop in Guadalajara but we got there way after dark, it was raining and traffic kind of pushed us through. We took a wrong turn and ended up in some little town where we stopped at a gas station and asked directions for a hotel. The one he sent us to had seen way better days,, there was a very large hole in the bano door, which was made of plastic, the room had furniture from the roaring 20's that looked very bad, In general, just the kind of place that you did not want to stay in longer that need be.

Mexicanbill

Jan 19, 2014, 3:21 PM

Post #7 of 11 (7778 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Heading North

Sorry Rick, I was going to PM you and ask for help but I am very embarrassed that I did something stupid after all the help you and others offered for the trip down. The only excuse I have, which of course is not a good one is that I miss judged the travel time between Auga Caliente and Guadalajara because I was listening to my nephew.

We want to leave at day break from PV and my wife has suggested we drive around the edge of Guadalajara and stop at Auga Caliente. I am open for suggestions as to the safest route and places to stay. I don't think my blood pressure can take another "adventure" like the trip down.

Oh, we did ask our nephew to meet us at the boarder and ride with us to PV because of my lack of driving experience in Mexico, we paid his expences etc. Needless to say, he will not ride back with us. Now that I have six months driving in and around PV, I think I can make my own mistakes without his help.

Mexicanbill

Jan 19, 2014, 3:31 PM

Post #8 of 11 (7774 views)

Shortcut

Re: [robt65] Heading North

Yes we did "step in It" The side effect was that once we got to our place in PV we rode buses for about three weeks before we would even get behind the wheel of the car. We have been planning for years to live down here at least half of the year once we both retired. This mistake had us spending a lot of time rethinking what we were doing.

For a time we were talking of shipping the car back and flying north and picking it up.

We broke all the rules, getting off a toll road, driving at night in an area that we had not planned on before the trip etc.
Once they blocked the road in front of us and got out of the car and headed towards us, we could see the guns they had in our headlights. I have no idea why they did not start shooting at us, or shoot at us during the chase unless they had guns but not bullets. I just know I was very happy to see the expressway with a large gas station that was open 24/7. We stopped there and waited for daylight.

robt65

Jan 19, 2014, 3:40 PM

Post #9 of 11 (7767 views)

Shortcut

Hello Mexican Bill,
That's Ok Bill, I know the feeling, I did it myself. It's OK to get dirty, once in a long while. The good thing about getting "dirty" is that we can clean ourselves off and try again. We also tend to learn a whole lot more, a whole lot better. After a total of three close calls myself in the Tampico / Altamira and Victoria areas of Tamaulipas, I hitched up the trailer and we moved to a far nicer state.
Much different here and the temps are great. Have a safe one going north.
Regards,
Robt65

Sunnyvmx

Jan 20, 2014, 4:17 AM

Post #10 of 11 (7736 views)

Shortcut

Re: [robt65] Heading North

Hey Robert, I seem to recall the trip we made moving me from Catemaco to Chapala. We didn't make Puebla and a "No Tell, Motel" until after nine o'clock and we couldn't find a safe motel for the truck and trailer as it kept getting darker and darker. Lots of anxiety and all the warnings about not driving after dark kept running through my mind, but we had to keep going. The look on the manager's face when we asked for two rooms for 8 hours was worth it. Well maybe.

robt65

Jan 20, 2014, 5:09 AM

Post #11 of 11 (7731 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Sunnyvmx] Heading North

Yeah . . . . . remember that well. Also remember someone telling me they knew the roads. In fact I still have those e. mails. Oh well, that was an adventure for sure. I still smell all that chlorine that was used to constantly clean that no-tell motel down (smiling)
Regards,
robt65

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4