Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

Adios

Jan 17, 2014, 12:11 PM

Post #1 of 17 (6402 views)

Shortcut

Bringing in 'family heirlooms'

Can't Post |
Two part question:

1) We brought in a small amount or household goods last year on a menaje. Other than a few friends and bank accounts we have nothing left behind in the States EXCEPT a small safe deposit box which among other things has some jewlery and diamonds which were inherited about 25 years ago. Is there some 'menaje-like' permission we can get to close the box and bring the contents here.

2) If we wanted purchase and bring back (by plane) some gold coins is anyone familar with the process ? I thought I read somewhere they are valued at the face value of the coin.

Rolly

Jan 17, 2014, 1:40 PM

Post #2 of 17 (6378 views)

Shortcut

Re: [charlie131120] Bringing in 'family heirlooms'

Can't Post | Private Reply
Jewelrys are considered personal items and are not subject to import duties.
Unset diamonds and gold coins may be different from jewelry. I don't know.

Rolly Pirate

YucaLandia

Jan 17, 2014, 6:16 PM

Post #3 of 17 (6327 views)

Shortcut

It is doubtful that Aduana would value gold coins at their face value. Consider a US $20 Double Eagle gold coin. Its gold content of 0.9675 troy oz. makes it worth a minimum of $16,000 pesos at today's exchange rates - just for the value/weight of the gold.

I seriously doubt that if you brought in 10 Double Eagles, that Aduana would value them at $200 USD. As a guess: They might even value them at over Mexico's $10,000 USD limit of carrying undeclared currency???

In light of the strong efforts to control money laundering, I would seriously check that out before I attempted to cross the border with serious amounts of diamonds and gold.

Anyone out there with first hand experience under the new rules for reporting/taxing substantial cash/wealth transfers into Mexico?
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

(This post was edited by YucaLandia on Jan 17, 2014, 6:18 PM)

rvgringo

Jan 18, 2014, 8:17 AM

Post #4 of 17 (6290 views)

Shortcut

I suggest leaving the valuables right where they are. Keeping them safe in Mexico might be a lot more difficult, to say nothing of the possible expense and danger of transporting them.

addtocart

Jan 18, 2014, 8:38 AM

Post #5 of 17 (6287 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |

In Reply To
2) If we wanted purchase and bring back (by plane) some gold coins is anyone familar with the process ?

I've tried, but can't come up with a reason why you would want to do that.

sioux4noff

Jan 18, 2014, 10:33 AM

Post #6 of 17 (6256 views)

Shortcut

Re: [addtocart] Bringing in 'family heirlooms'

Doesn't really matter why, does it?

stevebrtx

Jan 18, 2014, 11:43 AM

Post #7 of 17 (6243 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sioux4noff] Bringing in 'family heirlooms'

I live alone, so my situation may be somewhat different, but I have nothing here of "family" value, nothing. I've seen too many stories about some old geezer dying and by the time his relatives get here to claim his "stuff" - it's gone - and amazingly, no one seems to know where its gone, or who took it? So, I bring nothing here that I, or my family, value. Sad, but just one of the little things you accept as a condition of living here.

sioux4noff

Jan 18, 2014, 12:28 PM

Post #8 of 17 (6225 views)

Shortcut

Re: [stevebrtx] Bringing in 'family heirlooms'

That could certainly also be the case if you lived far from family in the US or Canada. Or anywhere.

stevebrtx

Jan 18, 2014, 12:48 PM

Post #9 of 17 (6220 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sioux4noff] Bringing in 'family heirlooms'

I have some family things in storage in TX and I'll be moving back there later this year. One of the primary missions is to sort out and dispose of most of it. And, should I decide to return here (which is 50/50) I'll deliver all the family keepsakes to my sisters etc. to make sure they're preserved because if I return it will be a one way trip until I "assume room temperature" and so I can leave directions to bank accounts etc. but nothing in my casa will be worth worrying about, just send my ashes back to TX and all will be well.

bronco

Jan 18, 2014, 1:15 PM

Post #10 of 17 (6209 views)

Shortcut

Re: [addtocart] Bringing in 'family heirlooms'

i have brought back 24k solid gold to mexico on several trips from the US. (in the form of jewelry. also transported it back to US to trade/sell. i traveled by plane. the gold was in a carryon, or a shoulder bag, or i wore it. nothing to see here folks. unless of cause the poster has bags full?

bronco

Jan 18, 2014, 1:17 PM

Post #11 of 17 (6207 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Bringing in 'family heirlooms'

no one inspects a ladies handbag. unless there has been some change of rules? also everything they have ARE personal items.

bronco

Jan 18, 2014, 1:19 PM

Post #12 of 17 (6206 views)

Shortcut

Re: [stevebrtx] Bringing in 'family heirlooms'

i took everything. if you dont give keys to maids, you will be ok. unless your friends help themselves i dont see a problem.

YucaLandia

Jan 18, 2014, 1:48 PM

Post #13 of 17 (6197 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bronco] Bringing in 'family heirlooms'

Gold coins (as proposed by the OP) are treated differently, as currency, than women's jewelry. Since our bags are x-rayed when we enter on flights, then gold coins would clearly show up on the x-ray screenings. ???
-
Read-on MacDuff

stevebrtx

Jan 18, 2014, 2:07 PM

Post #14 of 17 (6190 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bronco] Bringing in 'family heirlooms'

Bronco, I'd disagree totally, in an instance two blocks N of me a fellow died in a traffic accident, his "friends" etc. descended and then the police locked the place and by the time his daughter got here it was stripped. I could care less about money, I never keep much here, but I've lost too many family things over the years NOB to bring any of them here. I keep a safety deposit box in Austin with a few things to be claimed by my sister when and if.

playaboy

Jan 18, 2014, 5:12 PM

Post #15 of 17 (6162 views)

Shortcut

Try looking at this

http://www.dutycalculator.com/...or-24k-gold-bullion/

YucaLandia

Jan 18, 2014, 6:17 PM

Post #16 of 17 (6154 views)

Shortcut

Re: [playaboy] Bringing in 'family heirlooms'

Hmmm... Gold as a coin / legal tender => 0% duty, 16% IVA.
Gold as an investment coin => 0% duty, 16% IVA.

nice tool.
-
Read-on MacDuff

addtocart

Jan 19, 2014, 6:30 AM

Post #17 of 17 (6112 views)

Shortcut

Re: [YucaLandia] Bringing in 'family heirlooms'

Can't Post |

In Reply To
Hmmm... Gold as a coin / legal tender => 0% duty, 16% IVA.
Gold as an investment coin => 0% duty, 16% IVA.

So whatever investment value the gold coins may have is knocked back 16% as soon as you cross the border. Assuming, of course, you claim them.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4