First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

AlanMexicali

Jan 8, 2014, 8:59 AM

Post #26 of 136 (35285 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rvgringo] Part 2 - Recent experiences in INM and Consulate office

| Private Reply

In Reply To
I hope that is a universal policy. How recent was your experience?
Anybody else have anything to report?
If that is truly the casy, maybe Intercasa can clarify for us.
Thanks for the information.

"Domicilio del extranjero en México

* Calle

* Número exterior

Número interior

* Colonia

* Estado

* Delegación o municipio

* Código Postal

Teléfono particular (incluir clave de larga distancia)"

When you apply they already have your address on your online "tramite" form you print out and give to them to get things started. If proof is required as all immigrants have reported in the past, then I presume it still is. If one INM clerk does not require proof then it is possble she doesn´t follow the rules.

(This post was edited by AlanMexicali on Jan 8, 2014, 9:10 AM)

geoffbob

Jan 8, 2014, 1:31 PM

Post #27 of 136 (35256 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rvgringo] Part 2 - Recent experiences in INM and Consulate office

| Private Reply
This happy event occured about two weeks ago in das capital. I won't hazard a guess as to whether it is still in effect and/or universal.

geoffbob

Jan 10, 2014, 1:58 PM

Post #28 of 136 (35183 views)

Shortcut

Re: [geoffbob] Part 2 - Recent experiences in INM and Consulate office

| Private Reply
My dumb luck could well be a case of an employee at the immigration office not following the rules as to proof of residence, but wait.. it was two employees; one at the reception and the other at the processing counter. Then when days later I went to yet another office to apply for my INAPAM they didn't require any proof of residence either. They did however ask me where I lived. I hit the trifecta.

stevoH

Jan 14, 2014, 1:22 PM

Post #29 of 136 (35117 views)

Shortcut

Re: [DavidMcL] Part 2 - Recent experiences in INM and Consulate office

| Private Reply
Greetings to all

I am going to apply for permanent residence status at the Las Vegas Consulate and I have a couple of questions before I take all of my documents, statements, passport etc.

As I am applying for Permanent Residence status, do I need to have a Mexican Address (Playa del Carmen) before applying? Can I use a hotel address?
I have some friends that are Mexican Nationals that live in Playa that have offered to assist me in finding a place to rent long term.
I also have proof of a pension which I will take at age 65 (I am currently 59) an IRA, and of Course Social Security in addition to stock portfolio, part ownership of a business in Colorado, Own my home with a net value of $250,000 and about 30G's in my bank account. Am I missing anything?
Thanks
Hasta luego
Steve

rvgringo

Jan 14, 2014, 1:48 PM

Post #30 of 136 (35111 views)

Shortcut

Re: [stevoH] Part 2 - Recent experiences in INM and Consulate office

| Private Reply
You will need to have an address in Mexico when you apply to the local INM office to complete processing of your visa and issue the card. You must start that process within 30 days of entering Mexico. Proof of residency can be a temporary place, but that will require notifying INM when you change your address; something that you should not attempt while in process. The process could take a couple of months. So, when you find the temporary place at first, choose one where you are willing to stay until the card is issued. Then you wont confuse matters.

mazbeach

Jan 14, 2014, 3:58 PM

Post #31 of 136 (35098 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
On another board on this forum site Rolly presumed that you wouldn't be applying for your RP. If you are, then there will be issues regarding driving a foreign plated vehicle. As in, don't do it.

The easiest thing for you might be to just apply for RT and get a TIP when you cross the border. A lot less hassle and much less expense. In fact, you can get the TIP online before you leave. Then you can drive a foreign plated vehicle.

Aaron+

Jan 14, 2014, 5:17 PM

Post #32 of 136 (35084 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
You would not currently be applying as a retired person, so a theoretical future pension might not be considered relevant now. Do you have a current stream of income that would continue now in Mexico? It would seem no. What is the total value of your US investments and how liquid are they -- I am not asking for an answer here, but the Consulate may want to know if you meet RT or RP requirements. From what you write, with no valuation of your business stake, and with your home not sold, it may not be clear to them that you qualify. But you have nothing to lose putting forth your best foot, with the best documentation you can offer, in your interview at the Mex. consulate. Good luck to you!

YucaLandia

Jan 14, 2014, 5:53 PM

Post #33 of 136 (35079 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
More details on INM and getting residency in Mexico at: New Rules and Procedures for Immigration, Visiting, and Staying in Mexico ~ and subsections ~
~ How to File for Residency ~
~ General Summary of the Steps for Getting Residency in Mexico ~
~ Instructions for the INM Webpage for Visiting Mexico or Moving to Mexico ~
~ Your First Visit in Mexico to your INM Office ~
and
~ Financial Independence (Savings or Income) Requirements for Permanent Residency / Residente Permanente Applicants
Happy Trails,
steve

-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

roni_smith

Jan 23, 2014, 4:47 PM

Post #34 of 136 (34962 views)

Shortcut

Re: [YucaLandia] Part 2 - Recent experiences in INM and Consulate office

| Private Reply
A recent (November) temporal applicant did not have to show any proof of income in Merida as that had already been done at the consulate in the United States. This per a comment on a blog post of mine. He used Yucatan Expatriate Services to help him with the process.
------
Planning for Mexico Move Blog

rvgringo

Jan 24, 2014, 9:56 AM

Post #35 of 136 (34905 views)

Shortcut

Re: [roni_smith] Part 2 - Recent experiences in INM and Consulate office

| Private Reply
At that point, he was no longer an applicant, having been approved by the consulate. He was just finishing the processin at INM in Mexico.

kmetzger

Feb 4, 2014, 1:03 PM

Post #36 of 136 (34809 views)

Shortcut

Any experience with Laredo Consulate?

| Private Reply
After living in Mexico for 17 years, I now have to apply for a residente temporal at a Mexican consulate in the US. For the past year and a half I've been living in Ajijic on tourist visas renewed every six months. Five months ago I flew to San Antonio from my home in Ajijic to apply for the residente temporal at the Mexican consulate and left without results. The person I talked to wanted an "official document" stating that my income is $2,000 "after taxes." Bank statements weren't acceptable. He said he wanted an official letter. I told him the US government doesn't issue official letters verifying government retirement annuities and social security income.
I've been told that things go more smoothly at the Laredo consulate and was wondering if anyone here has had any experience with the Laredo office and specifically if they know what documentation they require for the residente temporal.

Aaron+

Feb 4, 2014, 2:22 PM

Post #37 of 136 (34792 views)

Shortcut

Re: [kmetzger] Any experience with Laredo Consulate?

| Private Reply
I would suggest that any Mexican consulate would be requiring official proof of adequate pension income, including social security. However, a federal pensioner myself, I am a bit puzzled by your understanding that the USG does not issue annual benefits statements, plus monthly statements.

--For Social Security, see
http://www.ssa.gov/onlineservices/#a0=5, where you can see that, online, you can
--Get your benefit verification letter (includes Medicare and SSI);
"Get a Form 1099/1042 -- Social Security Benefit Statement
Replace the lost, damaged, or missing tax summary of your Social Security benefits for 2013. (Not available for SSI). "

Perhaps your local US SSA office could even print out, on official letterhead, the verification leltter, perhaps even the American Citizens' Service office in the US Consulate (as in Guadalajara) could. Ask them!

And of course, all agencies issue a 1099-R for each year's income, and you can also use the Employee Express website from OPM for monthly statements for most agencies. (You need access to the website, which entails receiving a password by mail to your address of record. One has to access this site no less than every 90 days or your access shutsdown, and you would need to reapply...)

Our INM office in Merida accepted the above for my FM2 application and renewals, with no income evidence required when I applied for and received my residente permanente. True, under the prior systems, I never had to apply at a Mexican consulate.

kmetzger

Feb 4, 2014, 2:42 PM

Post #38 of 136 (34787 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Aaron+] Any experience with Laredo Consulate?

| Private Reply

In Reply To
Hi Aaron:

I am a bit puzzled by your understanding that the USG does not issue annual benefits statements, plus monthly statements.
- The San Antonio consulate official wasn't interested in my standard annual statements, which I showed them. He said he needed an "official letter," whatever that is.

--For Social Security, see
http://www.ssa.gov/onlineservices/#a0=5, where you can see that, online, you can
--Get your benefit verification letter (includes Medicare and SSI);

I can't get the social security letter online because I don't have a US mailing address. I have to get mine from the US Consulate in Guadalajara.

Perhaps your local US SSA office could even print out, on official letterhead, the verification leltter, perhaps even the American Citizens' Service office in the US Consulate (as in Guadalajara) could. Ask them!
- Yes, if that's what's required in Laredo, but I'd like to know if it is.

lobita

Feb 8, 2014, 12:40 PM

Post #39 of 136 (34698 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Kmetzger, I wish I had an answer for you about Laredo, but we are wondering the same thing. We tried both San Antonio and Austin in January. Austin's staff were pleasant and helpful, but the consul herself was out on vacation for the whole week we had available, so we couldn't complete the process.

The San Antonio official was present, but seemed determined to be rude and unhelpful, and to make the entire process as difficult as possible. I would almost wonder if he considered it his job to keep Americans *out* of Mexico, rather than let them in. We would not recommend anyone attempt residency at the San Antonio consulate.

kmetzger

Feb 8, 2014, 1:49 PM

Post #40 of 136 (34679 views)

Shortcut

Re: [lobita] Any experience with Laredo Consulate?

| Private Reply
Thanks, lobita. That's what I thought. Right now I'm just trying to confirm that the financial documents generally required at Mexican consulates for people with social security and/or retirement income are the same as required when applying here in Mexico, i.e. bank statements for the past six months.
I'm actually flying to Austin next month and thought I'd first try the Austin consulate and if that doesn't work, drive down to Laredo.

Kim

(This post was edited by kmetzger on Feb 8, 2014, 1:51 PM)

wkramer

Feb 27, 2014, 5:27 AM

Post #41 of 136 (34498 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Yesterday I posted my detailed RP experience that lays out exactly what documents I needed to get mine. No Apostilles or translated documents were needed. The only originals were my passport, marriage certificate and Mexican deed.

http://www.mexconnect.com/...;;page=unread#unread

TedZar

Feb 27, 2014, 4:31 PM

Post #42 of 136 (34439 views)

Shortcut

Re: [wkramer] Any experience with Laredo Consulate?

| Private Reply
While my experience was 6-8 months back, I did not need any apostille or anything else. Just original documents. I dealt with an embassy in SE Asia.

gmelchor

Mar 3, 2014, 10:03 AM

Post #43 of 136 (34325 views)

Shortcut

Re: [DavidMcL] Part 2 - Recent experiences in INM and Consulate office

| Private Reply
I received my Temporary Residence card back in May 2013. I've read everywhere that I would not need to show proof of residence or income again. However, a local attorney in Cancun informed me that these items would be required. Has anyone else had to show proof of residency (gas/light bill) and income again when renewing their Temp. Residence? Thanks!

Rolly

Mar 3, 2014, 10:17 AM

Post #44 of 136 (34318 views)

Shortcut

Re: [gmelchor] Part 2 - Recent experiences in INM and Consulate office

| Private Reply
Yes, I have. It varies by INM office.

Rolly Pirate

Rolly

Mar 6, 2014, 3:12 PM

Post #45 of 136 (34235 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Part 2 - Recent experiences in INM and Consulate office

| Private Reply
After 14 years in México, today was my turn to apply for Residente Permanente. It's so easy at my IMN office -- just walk in and do it, no line, no waiting, off-street parking, very nice and helpful ladies who run the place. Drango still requires proof of address and 3 months of bank statements -- a nuisance, but no big deal.

I had gone to the office a couple of weeks ago to inquire about the application letter. I knew from past years, they are picky about the wording. I aced it. It even got a laugh at the part where I was supposed to say I wanted to live in México permanently.

I wrote:
He vivido en Lerdo durante casi 14 años y espero que permanecer aquí por el resto de mi vida. Ya he comprado mi sepultura en el cementerio de Lerdo.

In English:
I have lived in Lerdo for almost 14 years and expect to remain here for the remainder of my life. I have already bought my burial place in Lerdo’s cemetery.

Rolly Pirate

Adios

Mar 6, 2014, 3:46 PM

Post #46 of 136 (34225 views)

Shortcut

|
In December 2012 when we visited the consulate we really didn't know there was permanent and temporary residency. We made a trial run and asked what was needed for a visa. They gave us a list of requirements. When we returned a couple weeks later with all our paperwork I mentioned to the guy on the other side of the glass - we would like to live in Mexico forever - and he said have a seat. A while later when he called us back he had the biggest smile on his face and told us we had been approved for permanent residency. Someone must have been looking out for us...

Rolly

Mar 14, 2014, 1:06 PM

Post #47 of 136 (34111 views)

Shortcut

Re: Part 2 - Recent experiences in INM and Consulate office

| Private Reply
I just got an e-mail notice that my Residente Permanente application has been approved. Next is paying $4,000 pesos and getting finger prints. I'll do that next Tuesday.

Rolly Pirate

YucaLandia

Mar 14, 2014, 1:13 PM

Post #48 of 136 (34105 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Congratulations !
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

tonyburton / Moderator