Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

CozICan

Jan 12, 2014, 9:30 PM

Post #1 of 9 (3049 views)

Shortcut

Exploring Mayan Ruins

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hola amigos

Here is the link to my photo album of my latest Mexican Driving Adventure. It takes place in Quintana Roo, Yucatan, Campeche, Chiapas and a small corner of Tobasco.

https://picasaweb.google.com/...e08gE&feat=email

I hope you enjoy,

CozICan

Read more: http://wahootours.hyperboards.com/...d/8150#ixzz2qFlEm0At

(This post was edited by CozICan on Jan 12, 2014, 9:31 PM)

robt65

Jan 13, 2014, 2:38 AM

Post #2 of 9 (3039 views)

Shortcut

Re: [CozICan] Exploring Mayan Ruins

Really nice shots. How long was this trip & where was home base in relation to your trip? Great photos . . . . . maybe on a rainy day you can add more info on the photos. You left me hungry for more information on some of the shots. Seems like a really great trip for you.
Regards,
Robt65

CozICan

Jan 13, 2014, 8:17 AM

Post #3 of 9 (3008 views)

Shortcut

Re: [robt65] Exploring Mayan Ruins

robt65,

I am not sure what you mean by Home Base ??? I live on the Island of Cozumel and we drove to Rio Lagartos on the Golf of Mexico on the 1st day, 2nd night in Merdida, 3rd and 4th nights in Campeche5th and 6th nights in Palenque, 7th night back in Campeche and the 8th night in Piste which is the town where Chichen Itza is located. The 9th night I slept in my own bed on Cozumel. All of the stops were located near or on route to the places we slept.

In regards to info on the photos, I made a small comment on many of the photos, how much more info do you want or expect ??

Take care,

CozICan

(This post was edited by CozICan on Jan 13, 2014, 8:17 AM)

robt65

Jan 13, 2014, 11:17 AM

Post #4 of 9 (2977 views)

Shortcut

Hello CoziCan,

Certainly wasn't meant to be critical, quite the opposite. For instance there is one photo where apparently there is a very large round hole in the middle of some type of courtyard (that's probably the wrong definition) of one of the Ek' Balam ruins (24th photo from the top). Fascinating. Do you know the specific function of that? Really great photos as I said, so nice and interesting, some just didn't have any explanation to them. I'm sure you really enjoyed that trip. All in all about ten days then. What a great trip to make in such a short time. Nice camera by the way.
Regards,
robt65

(This post was edited by robt65 on Jan 13, 2014, 4:40 PM)

CozICan

Jan 13, 2014, 11:23 AM

Post #5 of 9 (2971 views)

Shortcut

robt65... I am not sure about that particular hole but many ruins have similar holes that is the entrance to an underground cistern of sorts to collect water for the dryer season. I am not sure about that particular one but it looks like that to me. I have seen so many of the ruins that I take some stuff for granted.

Take care,

CozICan

robt65

Jan 13, 2014, 11:27 AM

Post #6 of 9 (2968 views)

Shortcut

Pretty fascinating and I am always stunned at how precise their architects /engineers were with so little tools .. .. . . . no backhoes, no chain saws or power equipment, no trucks or heavy equipment. Genius, absolute genius!
Thanks again for the photos.
Regards,
Robt65

playaboy

Jan 13, 2014, 3:55 PM

Post #7 of 9 (2943 views)

Shortcut

Robt65, that round hole could be the entrance to a cenote. They are natually occurring all over the Yucatan and have some of the cleanest, clearest waters.

robt65

Jan 13, 2014, 4:38 PM

Post #8 of 9 (2936 views)

Shortcut

Re: [playaboy] Exploring Mayan Ruins

Hello Playaboy,
Really interesting photos aren't they. Such construction from hundreds of years ago, just stun me that all could be done manually and without the aid of any of our modern conveniences. Not only that, but the fitting of joints and level spaces are way better precise measurements than their "trabajadores de hoy" at that kind of work. It just amazes me, always in awe of that kind of work commitment.
Regards,
Robt65

CozICan

Jan 13, 2014, 6:56 PM

Post #9 of 9 (2920 views)

Shortcut

Re: [playaboy] Exploring Mayan Ruins

Playaboy and robt65... Here is a link to more info regarding the Cistern that I mentioned above. I have seen these in other ruins where there were signs describing them. Please take a look. I hope the links works, you may have to copy and paste.

http://www.latinamericanstudies.org/chultun.htm

I don't think it was a regular cenote because the collected water in a cenote would just seep into the vast system below it.

I also found this video that has a pretty good explanation

http://www.latinamericanstudies.org/chultun.htm

(This post was edited by RickS on Jan 13, 2014, 8:14 PM)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4