Forums  > Specific Focus > Learning Spanish
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

citlali

Jan 18, 2014, 7:45 PM

Post #26 of 40 (7510 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bennie García] cabrona

| Private Reply
Yes some men are being called mandilón for helping around the house or listening to their wives ...

citlali

Jan 18, 2014, 7:47 PM

Post #27 of 40 (7510 views)

Shortcut

Re: [La Isla] cabrona

| Private Reply
a good man but that is hard to find...

La Isla

Jan 18, 2014, 8:02 PM

Post #28 of 40 (7507 views)

Shortcut

Re: [citlali] cabrona

| Private Reply

In Reply To
Yes some men are being called mandilón for helping around the house or listening to their wives ...

What a retrograde attitude! Real men should do both of these things!

La Isla

Jan 18, 2014, 8:03 PM

Post #29 of 40 (7505 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply

In Reply To

Don't I know it!

Bennie García

Jan 18, 2014, 8:28 PM

Post #30 of 40 (7496 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply

In Reply To

In Reply To

Don't I know it!

Might help to lighten up a bit.

tashby

Jan 19, 2014, 7:55 AM

Post #31 of 40 (7484 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply

There does exist a class of men between the macho and hen-pecked wimps and they are more abundant than many might believe. Generally found amongst men with higher levels of education and professionals. And perhaps more commonly found in the younger adults of today. Things have changed here greatly in the past 25-30 years. Just as families nowadays tend to be smaller, attitudes towards women have also changed.

I've noticed examples of this, also. I have several friends in their thirties, mostly well educated, and the difference is enormous. Of course, there are still a lot of "old school" men around, too.

esperanza

Jan 19, 2014, 8:05 AM

Post #32 of 40 (7483 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply

In Reply To
Things have changed here greatly in the past 25-30 years. Just as families nowadays tend to be smaller, attitudes towards women have also changed.

Yes and no. It's no longer uncommon to see men carrying and caring for babies and small children. Families are definitely smaller; it's unusual now to see more than four or five children per couple; two to three is the norm. And yes, there are some men, in the range that Bennie mentions, who have a somewhat different attitude toward their wives or female partners.

Nonetheless, violence against women continues to be a huge problem in Mexico. Here's a link to an INEGI study that reports violence against women (emotional, physical, economic, etc) at 47%.
http://www.inegi.org.mx/...esrural/muj_viol.pdf

Another link, from Mexico City's daily newspaper El Universal, discusses violence in the context of November 25, the Día de Eliminación de Violencia Contra Mujeres:
http://www.eluniversal.com.mx/...o-robles-968623.html

Mexico has made some progress, but IMHO not enough.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

citlali

Jan 19, 2014, 8:43 AM

Post #33 of 40 (7474 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Bennie since you are a man you are not qualified to judge..It is very easy to find a man but good ones are hard to find. So if I were single I would have fun and have friends and boy friends but knowing what I know I would be very picky about a partner. Actually having no partner would be my choice especially in Mexico, France, Italy, Spain and many other countries...
All my adult life I had jobs that were "men" jobs so I travelled a lot with men and worked with many men. I have many nice men friends but in my travels I have seen way too much...to really trust anybody..call me cynical . You may be one of the nice one but believe me thre the good ones are scarce and the older you get and the less tolerant you get so that makes them doubly scarce to find..

(This post was edited by citlali on Jan 19, 2014, 8:46 AM)

cbviajero

Jan 19, 2014, 8:53 AM

Post #34 of 40 (7470 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply

In Reply To
.It is very easy to find a man but good ones are hard to find.

The same could be said about women.

(This post was edited by cbviajero on Jan 19, 2014, 8:54 AM)

Bennie García

Jan 19, 2014, 9:21 AM

Post #35 of 40 (7459 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] cabrona

| Private Reply
And what do you think the statistics would have been 30 years ago? Sure it isn't a night and day difference. Having raised a son and 2 daughters and have seen numerous nieces and nephews raised to adulthood has maybe given me a different perspective than those who rely upon media sources for their information. The changes have not only occurred within the male population but in the female attitude of what is acceptable in a partner. And a large part of that again is attributable to education.

La Isla

Jan 19, 2014, 9:33 AM

Post #36 of 40 (7453 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

Don't I know it!

Might help to lighten up a bit.

Well, I have been thinking of going on a diet to shed a few of the kilos acquired over the holidays :-) !

esperanza

Jan 19, 2014, 9:42 AM

Post #37 of 40 (7446 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply

In Reply To
And what do you think the statistics would have been 30 years ago? Sure it isn't a night and day difference. Having raised a son and 2 daughters and have seen numerous nieces and nephews raised to adulthood has maybe given me a different perspective than those who rely upon media sources for their information. The changes have not only occurred within the male population but in the female attitude of what is acceptable in a partner. And a large part of that again is attributable to education.

Bennie, some people post their own opinions and you excoriate them for not backing those opinions up with any kind of sources. I post my own opinions AND back them up with sources and you excoriate me for 'relying on media sources for their information'.

Once in a blue moon we agree completely with one another about something posted here. Often we don't agree. I agreed (and continue to agree) with you about changes that you post about and that I have seen personally take place over my 30+ year history in Mexico. There are some areas that still need change: that is, as I stated in my post, my opinion. We don't disagree at all. You're barking up the wrong woman.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

Bennie García

Jan 19, 2014, 3:53 PM

Post #38 of 40 (7422 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] cabrona

| Private Reply
I still haven't figured out the "no" part of your "yes and no" along with the "somewhat different" part of your post. To me that meant you were saying that things haven't really changed.

GringoCArlos

Feb 16, 2014, 8:24 AM

Post #39 of 40 (7333 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply

In Reply To
Is it a bad thing or a very bad thing if a man tells a woman he is in a relationship with that she is sometimes "cabrona" with him?

The root word "cabron", usually signifies "axxhole" when describing a man. Cabrona used to describe a woman means she is sometimes a bitch. Sorry if I am offending anyone's sensitivities. :-) Neither word is used in polite or educated company.

Abuse has little to do with gender. There are many forms.

(This post was edited by GringoCArlos on Feb 16, 2014, 8:41 AM)

La Isla

Feb 16, 2014, 9:42 AM

Post #40 of 40 (7319 views)

Shortcut

Re: [GringoCArlos] cabrona

| Private Reply
You haven't offended me, for sure. Thanks for your input, GringoCArlos.
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4