Forums  > Specific Focus > Learning Spanish
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

La Isla

Jan 9, 2014, 5:43 PM

Post #1 of 40 (17056 views)

Shortcut

cabrona

| Private Reply
Is it a bad thing or a very bad thing if a man tells a woman he is in a relationship with that she is sometimes "cabrona" with him?

tashby

Jan 9, 2014, 5:56 PM

Post #2 of 40 (17053 views)

Shortcut

Re: [La Isla] cabrona

| Private Reply
Tone is everything with that word when it's used between men. (Unless I'm wrong - always possible as I'm just learning - I think it can even have positive connotations depending upon context and tone.)

I wonder if it would/could be the same when used between a man and a woman. If he's telling her that privately and that she's only "sometimes" like that with him, which your post suggests, I'll bet it's negative to whatever degree. I'll be interested to hear the responses.

citlali

Jan 9, 2014, 7:26 PM

Post #3 of 40 (17033 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Context and tone are everything but unless the man was talking in a tongue and cheek way I would not take it as a compliment..but again it all depends how and when it was said.

(This post was edited by citlali on Jan 9, 2014, 8:39 PM)

cbviajero

Jan 10, 2014, 7:00 AM

Post #4 of 40 (17007 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
I agree with Tashby and Citlali.There is a popular book,that I haven't read,titled(Por Que los Hombres Aman a las Cabronas).

Maesonna

Jan 10, 2014, 10:28 AM

Post #5 of 40 (16983 views)

Shortcut

Re: [cbviajero] cabrona

| Private Reply
It’s worth noting that the book Por que los hombres aman a las cabronas is translated from English, and the original title is Why Men Love Bitches. I haven’t read it, but the subtitle suggests that it’s about being assertive and standing up for your rights, not women who are “bitchy” in a mean way.

cbviajero

Jan 10, 2014, 12:15 PM

Post #6 of 40 (16972 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Maesonna] cabrona

| Private Reply
I didn't know that,I'd just glanced at the title when I saw it in bookstores in Guadalajara and thought it was written in Mexico.

La Isla

Jan 10, 2014, 12:34 PM

Post #7 of 40 (16967 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Maesonna] cabrona

| Private Reply

In Reply To
It’s worth noting that the book Por que los hombres aman a las cabronas is translated from English, and the original title is Why Men Love Bitches. I haven’t read it, but the subtitle suggests that it’s about being assertive and standing up for your rights, not women who are “bitchy” in a mean way.

Thanks for this comment, Maesonna. In this case, to be a "cabrona" seems to mean a gutsy broad. Unfortunately, in my case I don't think that's what was meant.

citlali

Jan 17, 2014, 5:44 PM

Post #8 of 40 (16849 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
I do not think that being assertive is particularly appreciated by Mexican men especially if you are standing up to them..to others maybe but to them no way...lose one and there are more to come as we say in France.

La Isla

Jan 17, 2014, 5:58 PM

Post #9 of 40 (16844 views)

Shortcut

Re: [citlali] cabrona

| Private Reply

In Reply To
I do not think that being assertive is particularly appreciated by Mexican men especially if you are standing up to them..to others maybe but to them no way...lose one and there are more to come as we say in France.

I agree with you, citlali. I thought I had met one who wasn't afraid of the assertive side of my personality, but it appears I was mistaken. Thanks for the encouraging words :-).

Bennie García

Jan 17, 2014, 9:06 PM

Post #10 of 40 (16832 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Come now, ladies. Have you never heard of the infamous mandilón found commonly throughout Mexico?

La Isla

Jan 17, 2014, 9:10 PM

Post #11 of 40 (16829 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bennie García] cabrona

| Private Reply
That's a new word for me. Please explain, Bennie.

Bennie García

Jan 17, 2014, 9:25 PM

Post #12 of 40 (16828 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
That is what men who are said to wear the apron (mandil) in the relationship are called. IOW a man with a less than macho behavior in a relationship.

sioux4noff

Jan 17, 2014, 9:27 PM

Post #13 of 40 (16826 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
My friend has an apron that says, En la calle soy cabron, en la casa, mandilon

La Isla

Jan 17, 2014, 9:30 PM

Post #14 of 40 (16823 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
I see. So what do you call Mexican men who are neither machos nor mandilones?

Bennie García

Jan 17, 2014, 10:01 PM

Post #15 of 40 (16823 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
I don't know that there is a term that describes them. How does un hombre muy educado sound to you?

La Isla

Jan 17, 2014, 10:16 PM

Post #16 of 40 (16819 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Kind of like a mensch?

esperanza

Jan 18, 2014, 6:13 AM

Post #17 of 40 (16807 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
More like metrosexual. LOL...

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

cbviajero

Jan 18, 2014, 7:19 AM

Post #18 of 40 (16798 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
One my favorite parts of a Mexican wedding is El Baile del Mandilon.

La Isla

Jan 18, 2014, 9:12 AM

Post #19 of 40 (16782 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] cabrona

| Private Reply

In Reply To
More like metrosexual. LOL...

Don't know if I've met any Mexican metrosexuals. What are their distinguishing features?

sioux4noff

Jan 18, 2014, 10:37 AM

Post #20 of 40 (16775 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
I have, and you have, too, but maybe don't know what you are looking for. They dress very stylishly, often get manicures/pedicures,shaped/waxed eyebrows, nicely styled hair.
http://www.urbandictionary.com/...php?term=metrosexual

La Isla

Jan 18, 2014, 10:48 AM

Post #21 of 40 (16769 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sioux4noff] cabrona

| Private Reply

In Reply To
I have, and you have, too, but maybe don't know what you are looking for. They dress very stylishly, often get manicures/pedicures,shaped/waxed eyebrows, nicely styled hair.
http://www.urbandictionary.com/...php?term=metrosexual

I may have seen some of them on the street, but I don't have any Mexican male friends or acquaintances who look like that. God, they take better care of their appearance than I do!

esperanza

Jan 18, 2014, 11:59 AM

Post #22 of 40 (16759 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Sue hit the nail on the head. There are a lot of metrosexuals in Mexico City--the VIP and CLASE sections of El Universal are full of photos of 30-something guys looking as good as the leggy women they pose with.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

La Isla

Jan 18, 2014, 12:39 PM

Post #23 of 40 (16753 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] cabrona

| Private Reply
I don't see metrosexuals as the middle ground between machos and mandilones. The former seems to be all about appearance while the latter two categories of men are all about their attitude toward women.

Bennie García

Jan 18, 2014, 12:54 PM

Post #24 of 40 (16750 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
There does exist a class of men between the macho and hen-pecked wimps and they are more abundant than many might believe. Generally found amongst men with higher levels of education and professionals. And perhaps more commonly found in the younger adults of today. Things have changed here greatly in the past 25-30 years. Just as families nowadays tend to be smaller, attitudes towards women have also changed.

sioux4noff

Jan 18, 2014, 4:38 PM

Post #25 of 40 (16736 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
I was only defing what a metrosexual is, not commenting where they fall on the macho to mandilon scale.
They aren't ALL about looks, but certainly care about their looks.
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4