Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Technical Mexico

cbettis57

Jan 7, 2014, 11:09 AM

Post #1 of 12 (19831 views)

Shortcut

moving with american cell phone

Can't Post | Private Reply
Probably a common story, but we have two iphones and don't feel like tossing them just to buy new phones in Mex. Does anyone know if you can switch it from AT&T to TelCel or something like that, totally swap numbers and everything? May be less trouble to just get new phones :(

joaquinx

Jan 7, 2014, 11:30 AM

Post #2 of 12 (19812 views)

Shortcut

Re: [cbettis57] moving with american cell phone

In Reply To
Probably a common story, but we have two iphones and don't feel like tossing them just to buy new phones in Mex. Does anyone know if you can switch it from AT&T to TelCel or something like that, totally swap numbers and everything? May be less trouble to just get new phones :(

You'll have to have the phone UNLOCKED. AT&T might do it for you or you can use an Internet service. In Mexico go to a Telcel Service Center or any dealer selling Telcel phonea and get a new SIM chip. You can buy additional time a most supermarkets, on the Telcel web page, some ATMs, OXXO mart, etc. If you want a plan, head for the Telcel Service Center where you live. Word of caution: buy the SIM in the area where you live to get the right 'area code' and avoid roaming charges.

New phones: The cost more here than in the US. Getting a plan requires a credit search and perhaps a visit to your house to verify it's where you live.
_______
My desire to be well-informed is currently at odds with my desire to remain sane.

mexbound

Jan 7, 2014, 11:32 AM

Post #3 of 12 (19809 views)

Shortcut

I had an ATT iPhone I brought down to Jalisco with me. Once my two year contract was up with ATT, I had ATT unlock it. Then I went down to TelCel and got a TelCel chip and the Amigo plan. Works great! Actually ATT unlocked my iPhone when I still had about three months left on my contract. You just go to the ATT Wireless online website, signin and go to the "Request Unlock Page". Sorry, I don't have that link right now.

cbettis57

Jan 7, 2014, 11:48 AM

Post #4 of 12 (19801 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mexbound] moving with american cell phone

Wow, very encouraging! Thanks!

cbettis57

Jan 7, 2014, 11:50 AM

Post #5 of 12 (19797 views)

Shortcut

Aannnnd just discovered there was a technical forum here...even cooler

mexbound

Jan 7, 2014, 11:52 AM

Post #6 of 12 (19796 views)

Shortcut

Here is the link to the ATT Unlock page:
https://www.att.com/...unlock/client/en_US/

johanson / Moderator

Jan 7, 2014, 12:31 PM

Post #7 of 12 (19781 views)

Shortcut

I have brought down several iPhones from Seattle over the years. They were all GSM (AT&T) phones. One locked and the other two unlocked. The locked phone was unlocked in Guadalajara. Once unlocked it was easy to get and load a Telcel SIM card.
The last one and my present phone (purchase unlocked) is my iPhone 4. Yes they had to trim my GSM card, but no problem, I was able to keep the same tel #.

Pete (in rainy Seattle)

mexbound

Jan 7, 2014, 1:14 PM

Post #8 of 12 (19770 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] moving with american cell phone

You can use the following link to see if your iPhone is locked or unlocked:
http://iphoneimei.info/
Just enter your 15 digit "IMEI" number found on the iPhone under Settings, General, About.

Aaron+

Jan 10, 2014, 9:00 AM

Post #9 of 12 (19675 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mexbound] moving with american cell phone

Please folks, do not try to get an iphone from Verizon unlocked unless any contract you had with Verizon has completed with no outstanding bill AND unless Verizon plays nicer with you than it did with us. A company here in Mérida, AM Telefonía, which says it works through Apple, told us, after some weeks, that Apple had reported that Verizon declined permission to unlock an iphone 4s.

(Happily, my sister in Phila. wanted an iphone 4s, which I was happy to unload last fall. My smartphone loving wife is enjoying her Samsung Galaxy S3 on Iusacell, which we purchased through Iusacell. Me, I continue to use my 100% telephone-only $USD 20 Nokia on Telcel.)

arthaey

Nov 29, 2014, 6:14 PM

Post #10 of 12 (16191 views)

Shortcut

Re: [joaquinx] moving with american cell phone

In Reply To
Word of caution: buy the SIM in the area where you live to get the right 'area code' and avoid roaming charges.

I plan to travel within Mexico a lot for the year that all be staying there. How bad are the domestic roaming charges? Is it possible to get a new SIM as I move from state to state? Or perhaps it's not worth it to bother with that?

chinagringo

Nov 29, 2014, 6:30 PM

Post #11 of 12 (16186 views)

Shortcut

Re: [arthaey] moving with american cell phone

How about telling us which cell phone provider you are working with? As all plans are not created equal~!
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

johanson / Moderator

Nov 30, 2014, 6:22 AM

Post #12 of 12 (16170 views)

Shortcut

Re: [arthaey] moving with american cell phone

I live in Mexico most of the time so my primary Cell Phone carrier is here in Mexico. So I don't know which US company has the best roaming rates in Mexico.
What I can say, is that there have been new laws past here in Mexico and it is no longer considered long distance (or so I have read) when I phone another Telcel cell phone anywhere in Mexico. I also know that unlike before once I run out of time I will not loose all of my money and use of my chip for up to a year. That doesn't answer your question, but if your phone is unlocked and if your carrier was say AT&T or T Mobile, you are using the same type of chip that we use in Mexico. And you can switch chips. I understand that many of the other US carriers do not use the same type of chip, and although you could continue to use them down here for a roaming fee, you can not temporarily use a Mexican Sim chip.
Double check what I have posted here. I believe I am correct, but I am not sure now that the rules have changed. Good luck.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4