Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region

cookj5

Jan 6, 2014, 11:56 AM

Post #1 of 5 (4856 views)

Shortcut

Need windshield wipers but where are auto parts stores?

Can't Post | Private Reply
I am looking for some new windshield wipers (now that the rain has stopped!) and, driving along the carretera I can't find any auto parts stores. I know they are called "refaccionaria" and in the past (when I wasn't looking for one) there seemed to be several along the highway. The only one I can find is in Riberas on the Lake side of the carretera, but every time I go by, the big steel gate is down and nobody's home.

Am I going blind or is there a serious shortage of auto parts stores around here? Given all the auto repair shops, there must be parts stores somewhere. Any suggestions on places you know are still open in the Lake Chapala area, or any other places to get windshield wipers for a Toyota Corrola?

And no, I don't want any wipers from the guy who hangs out near MBE!

Chapala Payaso

Jan 6, 2014, 12:10 PM

Post #2 of 5 (4850 views)

Shortcut

Re: [cookj5] Need windshield wipers but where are auto parts stores?

Depends on where you are residing. First, try Walmart. Then there is a parts store on the lake side of the carretera in Riberas. I think the building is yellow. I always buy mine just before the rainy season as the UV rays eat them up.

tashby

Jan 6, 2014, 1:22 PM

Post #3 of 5 (4834 views)

Shortcut

There's one in Ajijic, on the carretera just a few doors east of where the Post Office used to be.

joaquinx

Jan 6, 2014, 2:08 PM

Post #4 of 5 (4823 views)

Shortcut

I try to replace the wipers every two years of so, but in between I treat them with Silicon spray at the same time that I treat the dash and other plastic and rubber parts.
_______
My desire to be well-informed is currently at odds with my desire to remain sane.

stevebrtx

Jan 6, 2014, 3:31 PM

Post #5 of 5 (4807 views)

Shortcut

Re: [joaquinx] Need windshield wipers but where are auto parts stores?

I bought new Michelin wipers at Autozone at least 3 years ago, they were pricey (and can handle snow/ice?) but they're holding up great, just like new.
http://www.chapalaweather.net

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4