Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

los arboles resident

Jan 6, 2014, 7:25 AM

Post #1 of 7 (4720 views)

Shortcut

Dollars to pesos

Can't Post | Private Reply
Am looking to cross border into Mexico at Laredo in the next while.
Has anybody used a money exchange in Laredo to convert dollars to pesos.
Have you a preferred exchange place in Laredo?
Thanks for any suggestions.

Altahabana

Jan 7, 2014, 5:28 AM

Post #2 of 7 (4646 views)

Shortcut

Re: [los arboles resident] Dollars to pesos

The best exchange rates in the casas de cambio in Laredo are on the streets around Bridge I---the old downtown bridge. The most convenient is on Santa Maria--the main street to Bridge I--- between Hidalgo and Lincoln.

The casas de cambio along the main approach to Bridge II (IH 35 and Santa Ursula/San Dario) have less favorable rates.

On the Mexican side, there are numerous casas in the first block of Guerrero after you cross Bridge I that offer better rates than most of the casas in Laredo. There are also good rates at the casas on Santos Degollado the street that runs north to Bridge II. To access those though you go about 15 blocks south on Jesus Carranza after you clear Aduana at Bridge II and turn left on Calle Monclovio Herrera. Degollado is the first cross street and you make a left. There are several casas in the next few blocks.

Use Google Maps and you can put some of this information into context.

On the Mexican side ask for "lo mejor tipo de cambio por $___X__dólares" and they will usually give you 3-5 centavos above the posted rate.

(This post was edited by Altahabana on Jan 7, 2014, 5:31 AM)

playaboy

Jan 7, 2014, 8:49 AM

Post #3 of 7 (4612 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Altahabana] Dollars to pesos

Do the casa de cambio's in your area (either side of the line) have a limit on the amount of dollars you can convert? What kind of ID do you have to give them?

Altahabana

Jan 7, 2014, 1:31 PM

Post #4 of 7 (4574 views)

Shortcut

Re: [playaboy] Dollars to pesos

You need a passport for identification. Both Mexico and the US have reporting requirements if you exchanging over a certain amount, but I don't know the limits.

playaboy

Jan 7, 2014, 4:42 PM

Post #5 of 7 (4554 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Altahabana] Dollars to pesos

The reason I was asking is, besides my passport I was asked for my social security number. This was at a casa de cambio on the USA side of the border. I refused to give them my SS number and they refused to change my dollars. I didn't want to help any potential identity thieves.

Are you required to give a SS number if you are under $10,000?

wilpharm

Jan 7, 2014, 5:48 PM

Post #6 of 7 (4549 views)

Shortcut

Re: [los arboles resident] Dollars to pesos

we always use one at exit 1 on I-35..on west side..cant remember name..they never ask for ID and rates are very competitive with our Mexico bank (Scotiabanc)…this is a very small place right next to access road to I35..

Altahabana

Jan 8, 2014, 4:22 AM

Post #7 of 7 (4513 views)

Shortcut

Re: [wilpharm] Dollars to pesos

As I said in the first post, the casas de cambio along IH 35 and on San Ursula/San Dario, the roads leading to/from Bridge II have the least favorable exchange rates in Laredo. Today for example, the casas you mention are exchanging at a rate of 12.60, while the casa I use on Degollado in Nuevo Laredo is exchanging at 12.90. Generally speaking the casas more accessible to people crossing at Bridge II have less attractive rates.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4