Forums  > Specific Focus > Home, Garden & Construction in Mexico

lugina

Jan 5, 2014, 2:53 PM

Post #1 of 13 (18828 views)

Shortcut

PV area: design-build vs. arch-contractor recommendation

| Private Reply
Dear PV area residents-
We really need some prudent advice, recommendation and guidance from you on a large remodel (2 new story) or build up. We bought a lot with couple of houses on it in centro 5 Dec. area. The architect we are working with says "anything you can imagine we can build it"...which is nice but we are talking hundreds of dollars per Sq meter, and, not sure how the contracting process would work.

Back in the Bay area we had a design-builder to draw up few designs with efficiency and cost in mind, we choose one with some mods, and the home was built 40% cheaper than Architect Contractor route with minimum headache. Yes, it was 2 months late but that's about it.

We are thinking of more or less the similar route. Because, 1. we can't be full time during remodeling, 2. have limited funds as we can't get construction/remodel loan in Mexico, 3. we prefer cost effective design for build e.g. standard window size, kitchen counter width/depth etc. 4. it seems everyone is trying to sell us the most expensive of everything...from tiles to architectural details etc.

We have heard about two contractors....Raf and the famous Beto. But we don't know if they have architect that they work with and how much of supervision they would need. Alternatively, we have heard of cachi perez, who's design we love but not sure how expensive he is...At this juncture, we are thinking to take more of the design-build route...e.g. companies like cachi perez or similar...which seems like a "fixed-price" process.

We would be grateful for you feedback on the route we should take, and any other design-build firms you recommend. We are also open to capable and reputable Arch-Contractor route...so recommendation please.

Looking forward to your feedback and guidance...and if you want to build a home in the bay area let me know....we have a binder full of vetted design-build firms. Thanks, Lushib

rvgringo

Jan 5, 2014, 3:03 PM

Post #2 of 13 (18823 views)

Shortcut

Re: [lugina] PV area: design-build vs. arch-contractor recommendation

| Private Reply
You should consider doing nothing until you can be on site every day, counting and measuring. You also need to know your obligations for IMSS payments for the workers and a whole lot more. Nothing, nothing at all will be anything like you expected up north. Standard size windows? Why? Windows here are made to fit the hole; usually for less that the cheap ones at Home Depot, and much more secure. Ready-made cabinets? not a real good idea in humidity and cockroach country, etc., etc.
Move down, settle in, relax and do your project when you know the ropes and know more local folks you can trust for advice.
You will enjoy the process if you maintain control and good personal relationships with those doing the work. Otherwise, you wont.

Bennie García

Jan 5, 2014, 3:20 PM

Post #3 of 13 (18820 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rvgringo] PV area: design-build vs. arch-contractor recommendation

| Private Reply

In Reply To
You should consider doing nothing until you can be on site every day, counting and measuring.

How many homes have you built or renovated in Mexico?

rvgringo

Jan 5, 2014, 3:34 PM

Post #4 of 13 (18817 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bennie García] PV area: design-build vs. arch-contractor recommendation

| Private Reply
Two, Bernie. Why do you ask?

Bennie García

Jan 5, 2014, 3:36 PM

Post #5 of 13 (18816 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply

In Reply To

Because your statement about being on site everyday I find absurd.

joaquinx

Jan 5, 2014, 4:34 PM

Post #6 of 13 (18809 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply

In Reply To

In Reply To

It is absurd when you estimate five bags of cement turns into ten.
_______
My desire to be well-informed is currently at odds with my desire to remain sane.

jreboll

Jan 5, 2014, 5:01 PM

Post #7 of 13 (18803 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
We built our house in Mexico. Totally agree with RVGringo.

Bennie García

Jan 5, 2014, 5:08 PM

Post #8 of 13 (18795 views)

Shortcut

Re: [joaquinx] PV area: design-build vs. arch-contractor recommendation

| Private Reply

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

Are you insinuating that all Mexican construction workers are thieves? Would you also recommend that if you had a home built in your country that you should be onsite at all times? Because we all know that gringos are far more trustworty. Besides if you get a bid on a job for a certain amount then any jobsite theft comes out of the contractors pocket.

Rolly

Jan 5, 2014, 5:13 PM

Post #9 of 13 (18794 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jreboll] PV area: design-build vs. arch-contractor recommendation

| Private Reply
You may find some helpful advice here. There is a good bit of information about your obligations to IMSS which you really should understand.

Rolly Pirate

joaquinx

Jan 5, 2014, 5:17 PM

Post #10 of 13 (18787 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

Are you insinuating that all Mexican construction workers are thieves? Would you also recommend that if you had a home built in your country that you should be onsite at all times? Because we all know that gringos are far more trustworty. Besides if you get a bid on a job for a certain amount then any jobsite theft comes out of the contractors pocket.

You are overreacting to problems many have in home construction. I have a Mexican friend who does monitoring and estimating of construction sites and he said that this is a problem on many sites, but not all. Cool your jets.
_______
My desire to be well-informed is currently at odds with my desire to remain sane.

Bennie García

Jan 5, 2014, 5:36 PM

Post #11 of 13 (18776 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

You are overreacting to problems many have in home construction. I have a Mexican friend who does monitoring and estimating of construction sites and he said that this is a problem on many sites, but not all. Cool your jets.

I have been building homes in Guadalajara and the Jalisco coast for over 30 years. I doubt you or rvgringo will educate me on the subject.

I ask again, would you advise people to be onsite daily in your home country?

joaquinx

Jan 5, 2014, 5:43 PM

Post #12 of 13 (18771 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

I have been building homes in Guadalajara and the Jalisco coast for over 30 years. I doubt you or rvgringo will educate me on the subject.

Good for you! I wish you all the success in the world.
_______

Bennie García

Jan 5, 2014, 7:51 PM

Post #13 of 13 (18755 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply

In Reply To

Good for you! I wish you all the success in the world.

Apparently you will not answer the question. Why is it necessary to be on the jobsite everyday in Mexico but not in your home country? Are Mexicans inherently less trustworthy? You were the one that brought up the subject of materials being stolen.

The other poster just thinks of himself as somewhat as an expert after having a couple house either built or remodeled. That is a trait common in many foreigners here. They always are more competent than the locals even if it isn't even their field of endeavor

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4