First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

DavidMcL

Dec 20, 2013, 12:44 PM

Post #1 of 136 (44407 views)

Shortcut

Part 2 - Recent experiences in INM and Consulate office

| Private Reply
Part 1 was locked at 426 postings.
Please continue here for ease of navigation!
And - the best of Seasonal joy to all of you!

David
David McL
WebJefe

geoffbob

Dec 21, 2013, 7:15 PM

Post #2 of 136 (44303 views)

Shortcut

Re: [DavidMcL] Part 2 - Recent experiences in INM and Consulate office

| Private Reply
Oh yes, the old rule #426. I'd forgotten. Just joking of course. Makes sense. I am now a full fledged, duly sworn, documented, fingerprinted, photographed, credentialed, laminated, card carrying, CURP holding Temporary Resident. After Santa makes his rounds I makes me way to the INAPAM office. Viva Mexico!

at7mbe

Dec 21, 2013, 8:29 PM

Post #3 of 136 (44293 views)

Shortcut

Re: [geoffbob] Part 2 - Recent experiences in INM and Consulate office

| Private Reply
Please let us know how your INAPAM visit goes. In some parts of Mexico, particularly San Miguel de Allende, people are reporting that INAPAM cards are now only available to Residente Permanentes. Previously, it was available to those holding Residente Temporal cards as well, but some say that has changed.
-- Mark

geoffbob

Dec 22, 2013, 3:21 AM

Post #4 of 136 (44286 views)

Shortcut

Re: [at7mbe] Part 2 - Recent experiences in INM and Consulate office

| Private Reply
Well that's,ahem, a particularly relevant bit of scuttlebutt. I'm planning to depart D.F. for exactly SMA on January 9th. Not good odds on getting the card before that owing to the holiday closures. Even if I could squeeze in the application for it they take time to process things or at least that's what I've read. Hmmm.

AlanMexicali

Dec 22, 2013, 7:15 AM

Post #5 of 136 (44272 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply

In Reply To
Well that's,ahem, a particularly relevant bit of scuttlebutt. I'm planning to depart D.F. for exactly SMA on January 9th. Not good odds on getting the card before that owing to the holiday closures. Even if I could squeeze in the application for it they take time to process things or at least that's what I've read. Hmmm.

Here in San Luis Potosi I went to the tiny INAPAM office with my Residente Temporal card, CURP card, CFE bill as my proof of address, passport and 2 front view infantile photos almost 1 year ago and got the card in less than 30 minutes.

(This post was edited by AlanMexicali on Dec 22, 2013, 7:53 AM)

at7mbe

Dec 22, 2013, 8:00 AM

Post #6 of 136 (44246 views)

Shortcut

Re: [AlanMexicali] Part 2 - Recent experiences in INM and Consulate office

| Private Reply
I don't want to belabor this here because this thread is about INM and consulates, not INAPAM. I'll understand if the moderators remove it. My wife and I received INAPAM cards in Morelia in 2012 using our Residente Temporal (then "No Inmigrante"). I'm just pointing out that things may have changed. Here's a quote from the SMA Civil list from long time facilitator Silvia Cadena on Sept. 13:

You can get it [an INAPAM card] any time as long as you have a permanente residente card..not before, any time afterwards.

There have been various threads there with Silvia saying Residente Temporal can no longer receive INAPAM cards when she takes in applications for other people. If correct, is this rule only applicable in the state of Guanajuato or is it country wide? Who knows? The government's INAPAM website on requirements to obtain the card still list FM2 or FM3 as need in the case of extranjeros, so it's clearly out of date:

INAPAM Requirements

Still, one could print out the page to present to a recalcitrant official. Good news is that so far no one's reported having their previously issued INAPAM card revoked as a result of being Residente Temporal.

-- Mark E.

geoffbob

Dec 27, 2013, 3:35 PM

Post #7 of 136 (44097 views)

Shortcut

Re: [at7mbe] Part 2 - Recent experiences in INM and Consulate office

| Private Reply

In Reply To
Please let us know how your INAPAM visit goes. In some parts of Mexico, particularly San Miguel de Allende, people are reporting that INAPAM cards are now only available to Residente Permanentes. Previously, it was available to those holding Residente Temporal cards as well, but some say that has changed.
-- Mark

I had no idea if the INAPAM office would even be open today but what the he double hockey sticks eh? I looked up the address on their sitio web and then walked most of the way over until my dogs started barking & hopped into a taxi. There are so many of 'em I just love being able to hail one so easily by holding out my arm for a second or two. We drove up to the front door and they were open. I asked the security guard if this was the right place and he said " si' pase". Just then a very smartly dressed woman, maybe one of the bosses, exited the door and informed me that I was at the wrong address; that this was only the administrative office and I should have gone to Universidad 150. Ooops. Good thing the cabbie hadn't been paid yet so I hopped back in and we zoomed off. I really wanted to take care of this matter before departing D.F. for SMA owing to that er-ah previously mentioned scuttlebutt about gringos getting the heave ho from INAPAM there.

I walked into the real office on Universidad at 10:30 a.m., gave me a form to complete and then announced that I was the last one that would be attended to until January 7th. EEEK. My Primera Plus booking for SMA is on Jan. 8th. So I was the last one and after that about two hundred people showed up only to be turned away. SHEESH. Three hours and thirty minutes later I had it all nicely laminated & official looking.

One thing though, contrary to all that I've read about providing proof of residence, all they did was ask me where I live, looked at my Residente Temporal card, and passport.

Everyone was so kind and polite to each other. I loved it.

at7mbe

Dec 27, 2013, 6:13 PM

Post #8 of 136 (44080 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Thanks for the update and good on you for being able to get it done. I'm going to forward your story to the facilitator in SMA who has been saying INAPAM is no longer available to holders of Residente Temporal permits. Of course, this being Mexico, sometimes things differ between locations even though it's a Federal program. But you're set now, and the card doesn't ever have to be renewed.
-- Mark

roni_smith

Jan 3, 2014, 5:49 AM

Post #9 of 136 (43940 views)

Shortcut

Re: [DavidMcL] Part 2 - Recent experiences in INM and Consulate office

| Private Reply
I go back to the consulate today for a fingerprint scan and interview. Was told to bring my passport and $36 (cash, debit or credit card), so I expect to walk out with the stateside part of the residente temporal status completed. Submitted my application and 6 months of bank deposit information about two weeks ago.
------
Planning for Mexico Move Blog

geoffbob

Jan 3, 2014, 12:08 PM

Post #10 of 136 (43883 views)

Shortcut

Re: [roni_smith] Part 2 - Recent experiences in INM and Consulate office

| Private Reply

In Reply To
I go back to the consulate today for a fingerprint scan and interview. Was told to bring my passport and $36 (cash, debit or credit card), so I expect to walk out with the stateside part of the residente temporal status completed. Submitted my application and 6 months of bank deposit information about two weeks ago. [/reply

R.S.,

I read your recent blog entry in which you mention that your RT will be good for four years. How did you manage paying only 36 bucks for a four year term? I paid my 36.00 for the State -side part but when I made my grand arrival in Mexico City I was obliged to pay an additional MXN 3,130 and it's good for only one year. Maybe if I'd read more of your thorough blog I'd have seen that your are entitled to a four year term because your wife is a citizen of Mexico or something along those lines.

Plus you were only required to show six months of financial statements whereas I had to bring in a year's worth. Lucky you. Go for it.

Aaron+

Jan 3, 2014, 12:21 PM

Post #11 of 136 (43876 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Geoffbob, Read Roni_smith a bit closer. He clearly states that he is still working on his submission through a Mexican consulate, so has not yet reached INM within Mexico, where he indeed will have to pay a fee that varies with the temporal validity of his RT.

geoffbob

Jan 3, 2014, 12:24 PM

Post #12 of 136 (43874 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Aaron+] Part 2 - Recent experiences in INM and Consulate office

| Private Reply
Right, got it. But the real brain teaser is the part about being allowed to pay up front for four years.

Rolly

Jan 3, 2014, 1:43 PM

Post #13 of 136 (43851 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
A Temporal is good for four years with required annual or multi-year renewals. However, a new applicant is only allowed to pay for one year. The 4-year option is restricted to those who have gone through a regularization.

Rolly Pirate

roni_smith

Jan 3, 2014, 1:46 PM

Post #14 of 136 (43847 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
It is my understanding that one can, when completing the application process in Mexico, that one can pay for up for 4 years. The annual cost is less when paying for more than one year at the outset.

I recently saw the new cost amounts, but cannot find it now. In 2013 it was:

The cost is: 1 year – $3,310 pesos
2 year – $4,690 pesos
3 year – $5,940 pesos
4 year – $7,040 pesos

It has gone up a little bit for 2014

The $36 USD was for the stateside part of the application process. I have completed that and have the appropriate document affixed to my passport

I apologize for any confusion my blog may have created.
------

Rolly

Jan 3, 2014, 2:18 PM

Post #15 of 136 (43838 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Sorry, Roni. If your INM office follows the rules, they will allow you to buy only one year.

Rolly Pirate

roni_smith

Jan 3, 2014, 2:19 PM

Post #16 of 136 (43835 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Part 2 - Recent experiences in INM and Consulate office

| Private Reply
No problem Rolly. I will happily comply with whatever rules they have.
------

(This post was edited by roni_smith on Jan 3, 2014, 2:35 PM)

Yacatecuhtli

Jan 3, 2014, 7:00 PM

Post #17 of 136 (43804 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
I have heard many people that were told by the consulates that they could pay for 4 year when they got to mexico only to be "surprised" when they arrived in Mexico and told they could only do one. I do not know of anyone that was able to pay for 4 years coming from a consulate.

Its kinda like the article of the law that says one can apply for immigration thru the point system.....

or the 1990 law (ley de a poblacion) that says all mexicans must have a national ID card (cédula de identidad nacional, not to be confused with the IFE) The card still does not exist ......

http://mexico.cnn.com/nacional/2011/01/14/la-primera-cedula-de-identidad-en-mexico-avanza-en-medio-de-una-polemica

What the law says and what actually happens are not always the same in mexico

! Al pan, pan y al vino, vino !

roni_smith

Jan 4, 2014, 7:49 AM

Post #18 of 136 (43778 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Part 2 - Recent experiences in INM and Consulate office

| Private Reply
There is a comment on a blog post I made yesterday from someone who went through the Mexico part of the process in November. They used a facilitator and reported not having to show any income documentation in Mérida and were only allowed to pay for one year of their temporal visa.

I think the link to my blog is in my signature, if anyone wants to read what he actually wrote.
------

rvgringo

Jan 4, 2014, 9:51 AM

Post #19 of 136 (43757 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Of course they did not have to show proof of income at INM in Mexico; they had already done that at the consulate in their home country. At INM, all they have to prove is an address in Mexico and pay the fees for the first year, which is all they can get at first. Next year, at renewal, they can pay for three more years, after which they will change to Residente Permanente or leave Mexico. The use of a facilitator makes no difference and is not necessary. It will increase the cost, as the facilitators charge fees for their service and may be a great convenience for some people by reducing the number of visits to INM, etc.

roni_smith

Jan 4, 2014, 11:08 AM

Post #20 of 136 (43743 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rvgringo] Part 2 - Recent experiences in INM and Consulate office

| Private Reply
We know people in Quintana Roo who have had to do the whole documentation of income thing again in Mexico after first doing so at the consulate in the USA, so it is not an "of course they did not have to show" in all of Mexico.
------

rvgringo

Jan 4, 2014, 1:17 PM

Post #21 of 136 (43727 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Somehow, I am not surprised. Some INM offices are still confused by the rules. Illiteracy must be bliss, too.

Bennie García

Jan 4, 2014, 7:50 PM

Post #22 of 136 (43685 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply

In Reply To
Somehow, I am not surprised. Some INM offices are still confused by the rules. Illiteracy must be bliss, too.

How many offices do you have experience with?

rvgringo

Jan 5, 2014, 7:39 AM

Post #23 of 136 (43656 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bennie García] Part 2 - Recent experiences in INM and Consulate office

| Private Reply
Only two; Guadalajra and Chapala, every year for the last 13 years. Now, we are done.

geoffbob

Jan 7, 2014, 7:43 PM

Post #24 of 136 (43575 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply

In Reply To
Of course they did not have to show proof of income at INM in Mexico; they had already done that at the consulate in their home country. At INM, all they have to prove is an address in Mexico and pay the fees for the first year, which is all they can get at first. Next year, at renewal, they can pay for three more years, after which they will change to Residente Permanente or leave Mexico. The use of a facilitator makes no difference and is not necessary. It will increase the cost, as the facilitators charge fees for their service and may be a great convenience for some people by reducing the number of visits to INM, etc.

At INM in D.F. I showed up with proof of address. They handed the documents back to me immediately. I thought they were not in order and unacceptable but I thought wrong. When I asked the reason she told me that they are no longer required. She perused the rest of my papers and instructed me to proceed to the next window. There they told me everything was in perfect order and instructed me to return for finger printing in a few days. I had gone to a great deal of trouble and expense to procure proof of address. I almost wish...nah.

rvgringo

Jan 8, 2014, 7:51 AM

Post #25 of 136 (43526 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
I hope that is a universal policy. How recent was your experience?
Anybody else have anything to report?
If that is truly the casy, maybe Intercasa can clarify for us.
Thanks for the information.
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4