Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

los arboles resident

Dec 31, 2013, 8:26 AM

Post #1 of 19 (8754 views)

Shortcut

Laredo Texas to Vallarta

Can't Post | Private Reply
Has anybody travelled by highway from Laredo texas to Puerto Vallarta in the last month. Any concerns or advice. We plan to travel during the day on the toll roads and staying in Zacatecas overnite. Estimated travel dates Jan 17 & 18th. We traveled this last year with no concerns.

donemry

Jan 1, 2014, 6:28 AM

Post #2 of 19 (8720 views)

Shortcut

Re: [los arboles resident] Laredo Texas to Vallarta

We came that way in early December. The trip was uneventful as it has been in the past 7 years. By the way, Zacatecas seems like going out of the way on the route. We prefer to stay in San Luis Potosi.

wilpharm

Jan 1, 2014, 7:26 AM

Post #3 of 19 (8714 views)

Shortcut

I agree with Donemry….I think SLP/Matehuala would be a bit better route..

los arboles resident

Jan 1, 2014, 9:44 AM

Post #4 of 19 (8690 views)

Shortcut

Re: [wilpharm] Laredo Texas to Vallarta

Coming from San Luis Potosi when you say a better route does that mean safer, because it seems to be longer in mileage and when you get to Guad you come in from the East having to drive right through Guad.
Coming from Zacatecas you come into Guad from the North, making it easier to get around GUAD to get to Vallarta. We also have a dog & hotels must be dog friendly. Thank you for any input
Difference of about 30 more miles coming San Luis Potosi

esperanza

Jan 1, 2014, 10:14 AM

Post #5 of 19 (8680 views)

Shortcut

Coming in from the east on the toll road, can't you just stay on Lázaro Cárdenas and skirt Guadalajara to the south? You don't have to go through the city.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

mazbeach

Jan 1, 2014, 10:45 AM

Post #6 of 19 (8678 views)

Shortcut

The somewhat new elevated road through the middle of Guadalajara now makes transit easy and straightforward. And it's well signed. We always avoided going through Guadalajara until they opened the elevated portion. Now it's a snap.

wilpharm

Jan 1, 2014, 11:21 AM

Post #7 of 19 (8672 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mazbeach] Laredo Texas to Vallarta

yes the new Lazero-Cardenas overpass has stopped most ,if not all , of the traffic lights thru GDL….still try to avoid the rush periods…and..its really pretty at night...

wilpharm

Jan 1, 2014, 1:45 PM

Post #8 of 19 (8657 views)

Shortcut

re dog hotels…we sometimes stay at the ZAR in GDL right before the Tepic highway…they dont mind dogs & have a big grassy exercise area in back..

in Saltillo we use American Businessman hotel, they also are pet friendly ..

donemry

Jan 2, 2014, 6:04 AM

Post #9 of 19 (8617 views)

Shortcut

There are no stop lights on Lazaro Cardenas from the last toll booth on the east to all the way past Zapopan. We have been staying at Hotel Maria Delores in SLP with our dog. According to Google, the driving time on the SLP route is 4 mionutes longer.

RickS

Jan 2, 2014, 8:05 AM

Post #10 of 19 (8594 views)

Shortcut

"Coming from Zacatecas you come into Guad from the North..."

This comment suggests that you are referring to coming down hiway 54 from Zacatecas to Guadalajara. This route, while seemingly shorter, is not with respect to time. It is, of course, without tollls but it's not a route that many people would take. Why? It is full to small villages and hidden topes. Then when one gets withing 100 miles of Guadalajara it becomes " one continuous curve" and drives through some canyons as one approaches Guadalajara. The curvy, 2-lane road is 'bad' enough but when one gets stuck behind a truck/bus or two.... well you can guess the rest. I did that road (and 23 in the same general location) once just to see, but won't go that way again unless I'm looking to kill some time and brain cells.

Others have mentioned that getting across Guadalajara east/west is no longer the pain it used to be.....

Rolly

Jan 2, 2014, 9:10 AM

Post #11 of 19 (8589 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Laredo Texas to Vallarta

I took the highway 54 route once. Never again!!!!!! Rick makes it sound better than it is. :-)

Rolly Pirate

mazbeach

Jan 2, 2014, 9:17 AM

Post #12 of 19 (8583 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Laredo Texas to Vallarta

Yes, passing through Guadalajara is a breeze now because of the elevated section. When passing through we usually spend the night in Tonala at the Hacienda del Sol. Secure indoor parking and clean rooms. They don't publicize being dog friendly, but our two little Chihuahuas haven't ratted us out yet. Also, really easy and straightforward access from and to 15D.

los arboles resident

Jan 9, 2014, 8:41 PM

Post #13 of 19 (8389 views)

Shortcut

Have changed our route to go thru San Luis Potosi, just needed the experience from others.
The only issue we have now is finding a dog friendly hotel in the town of San Luis Potosi.

RickS

Jan 10, 2014, 10:53 AM

Post #14 of 19 (8346 views)

Shortcut

There are a couple of easily accessed hotel/motels on the south side of SLP, just north of where the bypass reconnects with Hiway 57S. One is a 'new' ZAR (just a few hundred feet north of that intersection on blvd 57). Another just a bit farther north on that road is the Hotel Mansion Los Arcos. I don't travel with pets so don't know that status but one could check with them. I stayed at Los Arcos a few months ago and could not have asked for a better motel. Parking in the interior at your door and restaurant on site.

http://www.hotelmansionlosarcos.com/home.html

The ZAR is not where it shows on any map I can find, but rather is right on 57 just north of the intersection with the southern end of the bypass.... and impossible to miss.

Phone + (444) 799-7294

email: http://ventas.slp@hotelszar.com

(This post was edited by RickS on Jan 11, 2014, 9:47 AM)

Tommyd

Jan 11, 2014, 4:26 AM

Post #15 of 19 (8301 views)

Shortcut

If possible, travel a little further to Aguascaliente for the night. I would highly recommend the Hotel Medrano there. Wonderful dog friendly accommodations

los arboles resident

Jan 18, 2014, 8:29 PM

Post #16 of 19 (8126 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Tommyd] Laredo Texas to Vallarta

Just got into Bucerias today and stayed at a no name motel with the dog.
Had to bribe him with a cookie or two but was worth it for vehicle safe and sound in a closed garage.
Room was spectacular.
PM me if you need to know the name of the motel.

sioux4noff

Jan 19, 2014, 4:42 PM

Post #17 of 19 (8075 views)

Shortcut

Why don't you just post it, so in the future people can see it on "search"?

bowmanmt

Jan 28, 2014, 7:08 AM

Post #18 of 19 (7887 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sioux4noff] Laredo Texas to Vallarta

Sue(sioux) is correct, we would all appreciate the Hotel name .

bowmanmt

Jan 28, 2014, 5:27 PM

Post #19 of 19 (7835 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bowmanmt] Laredo Texas to Vallarta

Casa Grande in Lagos is a fabulous pet friendly hotel, and in Matahuala Las Palmas always treated us right. It has been 3 years since I have been to these establishments

(This post was edited by bowmanmt on Jan 28, 2014, 5:31 PM)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4