Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Central Highlands

alleycat

Dec 29, 2013, 10:54 AM

Post #1 of 12 (6076 views)

Shortcut

Info on border crossing to SMA by car and more questions

Can't Post | Private Reply
Would anyone be able to tell me about the safety of border crossing into Mexico then to San Miguel. Is there any time that is better than another? I will be coming from the Boulder, Colorado area into Texas and then Mexico. I hear conflicting things about bribes and such. Single female traveling with three cats. Will I have difficulty bringing in 3 cats at once even with proper paperwork? Will I be able to get a visa for one year? Thank you for any responses.

(This post was edited by alleycat on Dec 29, 2013, 11:18 AM)

Rolly

Dec 29, 2013, 12:21 PM

Post #2 of 12 (6056 views)

Shortcut

Re: [alleycat] Info on border crossing to SMA by car and more questions

Only two pets are allowed.

A Visitante (visa) is good for only 180 days. If you wish to stay for a year, you'll need to return to the border to get a new Visitante when the first of expires. The permit for your car is also good for only 180 days when you have a Visitante. You'll need to get a new car permit when you get your second Visitante.

Read more here http://rollybrook.com/Page%20Directory.htm

Rolly Pirate

rvgringo

Dec 29, 2013, 1:11 PM

Post #3 of 12 (6045 views)

Shortcut

Your worries are unfounded and probably based on rumor and opinions from those who have never traveled. However, your homework assignment is incomplete. You must apply for a Visa, probably Residente Temporal, at the nearest Mexican Consulate to your home. There are financial qualifications, etc. and you must meet them to stay longer than 180 days at a time in Mexico. The FMM Tourist Permit (visitante) cannot be renewed in Mexico, and, as Rolly said, you and your vehicle will have to leave Mexico and re-enter with fresh paperwork and new deposits for your car, etc. Yes, it is true: Only two pets per person, with appropriate veterinary certifications. Do not forget to get Mexican car insurance.

RickS

Dec 29, 2013, 3:17 PM

Post #4 of 12 (6033 views)

Shortcut

Coming from your neck of the woods (I live in Fort Collins), you have a couple of good choices for border crossings. Most everyone uses Laredo/N. Laredo and that is fine. Depending on your route coming down you can also cross at Eagle Pass/Piedras Negras. I find Piedras Negras easier, especially if you are going to get your visa and car permit around the border. The road down from either place will 'join' around Saltillo, but the road down from Piedras has no tolls to Saltillo whereas down from N. Laredo is virtually all toll.

When you get closer to your departure date, let us know which route you will be taking and we'll give you better directions.

alleycat

Jan 1, 2014, 4:45 PM

Post #5 of 12 (5993 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rvgringo] Info on border crossing to SMA by car and more questions

Thank you.

alleycat

Jan 1, 2014, 4:46 PM

Post #6 of 12 (5992 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Info on border crossing to SMA by car and more questions

Thank you.

AlanMexicali

Jan 4, 2014, 3:59 PM

Post #7 of 12 (5934 views)

Shortcut

I have read several times 2 pets per person are allowed into Mexico.

Sonia Diaz

Feb 4, 2014, 5:22 PM

Post #8 of 12 (5815 views)

Shortcut

Consider Santa Teresa, NM. Pets won't be an issue nor safety.

Sonia

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sonia/252211011634302

(This post was edited by RickS on Feb 7, 2014, 11:24 AM)

chinagringo

Feb 4, 2014, 5:57 PM

Post #9 of 12 (5811 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Sonia Diaz] Info on border crossing to SMA by car and more questions

One of the more irresponsible posts I have ever seen!!!!!! If you choose to make comment about safety in the State of Chihuahua, please do your homework first. While Michoacan seems to be drawing most of the negative press, Guererro is #2 and Chihuahua is #1 for murders and acts against the local population. And we are not talking Juarez as that act has been cleaned up a great deal!
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

Sonia Diaz

Feb 4, 2014, 6:20 PM

Post #10 of 12 (5807 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] Info on border crossing to SMA by car and more questions

Neil I have driven the route recently and so have friends. I would not hesitate to do it again. Hwy 45 / 49 / 45.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sonia/252211011634302

(This post was edited by RickS on Feb 7, 2014, 11:28 AM)

chinagringo

Feb 4, 2014, 6:39 PM

Post #11 of 12 (5805 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Sonia Diaz] Info on border crossing to SMA by car and more questions

I believe that your safety recommendations for the State of Chihuahua are totally irresponsible! Fact is that Chihuahua is still Mexico's most dangerous State whether you admit it or not!
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

(This post was edited by RickS on Feb 7, 2014, 11:30 AM)

robt65

Feb 11, 2014, 8:10 AM

Post #12 of 12 (5740 views)

Shortcut

Re: [AlanMexicali] Info on border crossing to SMA by car and more questions

Hello RVGringo,

I also have read several times 2 pets per person are allowed into Mexico. However I take my pets 3 large dogs and sometimes the cat into and out of Mexico for their annual NOB Vet care and have never been questioned. Some day perhaps it will happen, but so far I have been lucky and have never been questioned.
By the way, I wholeheartedly agree with Chinagringo about traveling through Chihuahua, too many possible "black beans" in that jar, when there are several other safer routes available to take.

My personal crossing of choice is the Anzaldúas Bridge between Mission and McAllen Texas. Simple crossing, no commercial traffic, and all offices (Aduana, car permit (TIP) immigration, etc.), all in the same building. Easy and fast. AS Rick stated Tolls are a lot more from this crossing, but Cuota all the way, and I like the fact that I am on the cuotas almost right away. You are never really in the city of Reynosa as it (the highway to Monterrey) is on the west side of Reynosa. The highway to Monterrey is well signed and in five minutes you're on your way.

I live just south of SMA 25 minutes south of the city of Querétaro. I usually now break up the trip by staying in Matehuala, overnight. Makes for a nice easy drive.

Regards,
Robt65

(This post was edited by robt65 on Feb 11, 2014, 8:14 AM)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4