Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Central Pacific Region

soulpatch

Dec 23, 2013, 10:58 AM

Post #1 of 13 (6234 views)

Shortcut

Notary for CalPers document in Vallarta area

Can't Post | Private Reply
I live in San Pancho, Nayarit and I need to get a form notarized and faxed to California for my retirement system.

I am not sure I can use a Mexican notary for this or not but has anyone had experience in my area for this purpose?

I understand there are supposed to be notaries at the US Consulates.....

Thanks for any help,
Saludos

rvgringo

Dec 23, 2013, 2:06 PM

Post #2 of 13 (6191 views)

Shortcut

Re: [soulpatch] Notary for CalPers document in Vallarta area

You may use a Mexican Notario or the US COnsulate notary. Those are your only choices in Mexico.

Rolly

Dec 23, 2013, 2:33 PM

Post #3 of 13 (6187 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rvgringo] Notary for CalPers document in Vallarta area

I used a Notario once, and it was fine with the USA government agency I was dealing with.

Rolly Pirate

JRinPV

Dec 24, 2013, 8:19 AM

Post #4 of 13 (6125 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Notary for CalPers document in Vallarta area

Never heard of a Notario being OK for the US Gvt. The US Consul in Nuevo Vallarta charges US$50.00 per sheet of paper notarised.

rvgringo

Dec 24, 2013, 12:46 PM

Post #5 of 13 (6100 views)

Shortcut

Re: [JRinPV] Notary for CalPers document in Vallarta area

By treaty, a Notario is quite acceptable and is legal within his jurisdiction. A US notary is not legal to use outside of the county/state in the USA where his stamp was issued. The only other option is your consulate.

(This post was edited by rvgringo on Dec 24, 2013, 12:47 PM)

soulpatch

Dec 24, 2013, 1:25 PM

Post #6 of 13 (6095 views)

Shortcut

Thanks, I will contact Pers and see if a notario is acceptable. If not, consulate bound!

chinagringo

Dec 24, 2013, 1:52 PM

Post #7 of 13 (6087 views)

Shortcut

I have friends who contacted the agency, the bank or title companies and asked what they would accept. In a couple of cases, they allowed notaries from the US as long as their license was still in effect. So there are many options which might work but it depends on just who issued the documents and what they require. YMMV
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

DavidHF

Dec 24, 2013, 1:54 PM

Post #8 of 13 (6087 views)

Shortcut

If it was me I'd get it stamped by a Notario and fax it up. If you ask first, some low-level, know-nothing will automatically say, "No." If you fax it someone will have to walk around and investigate.

rvgringo

Dec 25, 2013, 11:58 AM

Post #9 of 13 (6049 views)

Shortcut

Re: [DavidHF] Notary for CalPers document in Vallarta area

That is very true. Few know the actual laws regarding the privilege and authorities governing these matters, yet they will give an answer out of hand. It should be obvious that a US notary has no authority outside of the USA; in fact, none outside of the issuing jurisdiction. Yet, they will happily take your money. Years later, in face of a challenge, trouble can ensue for the signatory and the notary. If you are in Mexico, use a Notario or your consulate; none other. The receiving party has no choice in what they will accept; it is dictated by law and certain treaties.

chinagringo

Dec 25, 2013, 5:14 PM

Post #10 of 13 (6037 views)

Shortcut

Sorry RV but this isn't one of those situations where you can provide your standard answer of finding an iron monger. I do know for a fact that 2 of the 3 people that I know used a State licensed notary from the US! In both cases, it wasn't an attempt to get around the excessive and abusive fees charged by the US Consulate but rather because they could get the job done and off via FedEx or UPS in a more timely fashion. In some States and with some companies or agencies, they will not accept a faxed version of the documents and demand originals.

The point to my original response was that by calling the document issuing agency and talking to someone of authority, it may not require a tedious trip to the US Consulate.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

soulpatch

Dec 26, 2013, 8:11 AM

Post #11 of 13 (6009 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] Notary for CalPers document in Vallarta area

Thanks all.
I have an inquiry into PERS.
They are extremely squared away at what they do..... That is why so many politicians keep trying to steal our money!
I am just one of many of expat participants and they have dealt with this issue many times.
I will let you all know for future reference what they state.

soulpatch

Dec 26, 2013, 9:52 PM

Post #12 of 13 (5966 views)

Shortcut

CalPERS says notarios are the way to go. No need to go to the consulate.

rvgringo

Dec 27, 2013, 9:05 AM

Post #13 of 13 (5934 views)

Shortcut

That was my original response to your first inquiry. Unfortunately, too many others are doubtful of that fact. Asi es.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4