Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Home, Garden & Construction in Mexico

Adios

Dec 21, 2013, 12:36 PM

Post #1 of 6 (21448 views)

Shortcut

Whole house well water filtration system

Can't Post |
Just moved in to our new eight year old house. Would like to install a well water filtration system. Does anyone have any recommendations as to make ? The house is one story about 400m2. Thanks

rvgringo

Dec 21, 2013, 3:52 PM

Post #2 of 6 (21430 views)

Shortcut

Re: [charlie131120] Whole house well water filtration system

Can't Post | Private Reply
You may want to simply have the water tested for potability. It should be clear, if the supply of groundwater is adequate. It should also be odor-free. If it is not potable, you may need a chlorinator or other means of adding chlorine.
If you do feel that you need filtration for drinking water, it is much more economical to just do that at the kitchen sink. Doing it for the whole house, using filtered water for toilets, laundry and showers, is pretty expensive. Filters are expensive, so minimize the need to change them often by reducing the excess water needing to pass through them.

Adios

Dec 22, 2013, 4:37 AM

Post #3 of 6 (21413 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rvgringo] Whole house well water filtration system

Can't Post |
It is kind of an interesting puzzle.
- The number one problem we need to address is the odor, mainly in the bathrooms.
- We have glass shower doors and they are building up soap scum that is hard to get off.
- It would be nice to be able to simply put a glass to the fridge door and dispense ice/cold water.
- We have a pool. It looks great but perhaps the chemistry could be better. I'm only checking ph and chlorine.
- The one thing we don't have are brown water stains outside.
- It would be nice to exclude the garden water from whatever water treatment.
- The day we moved into the house there was no hot water. We had the water heater thermostat replaced and there was tons of calcium buildup. I'm sure that is true of the rest of the plumbing.
- We already have a filter at the street and a filter under the kitchen sink - both of which were disgusting when I replaced them this week. They also are cheapo home depot filters.

rvgringo

Dec 22, 2013, 8:34 AM

Post #4 of 6 (21399 views)

Shortcut

If your water smells, you have a very sick well and it may be dangerously polluted. Few homes have wells any more. Is municipal water available to you? If so, I suggest that you get hooked up. Do you also have a cess-pool, or are you on municipal sewarage system? If it is available, you are required to hook up. You may be smelling sewage from your drain traps being defective or dry.
The shower door indicates that you have a high mineral content, which is common here. You live with it or use a water softener system; another expense, which also increases your salt intake, if you drink it.
Using a refrigerator dispenser for water, or an icemaker attached to a high-mineral water source can be a risk to the equipment.
We gave up our pool, as keeping it clear was a loosing battle.
You may want to consider a solar water heater for more even temperatures and to reduce the need to use propane for hot water; thereby eliminating that problem. We did, and cut our propane use by 75%. Such a system will pay off in about 2 years on gas savings.
Yes, filters are over-rated and, if I were to do it again, I would only use filtration for the kitchen.
Note that your toilets may benefit from turning off the water, flush & drain the tank, then give 3 doses of Muriatic Acid, about 1/3 Liter each dose, lifting the flapper to pour it down, 15 minutes apart. Tat will help disolve the build-up of calcium in the flushing ring and a lot of chunks will be released. When done, they will flush much more efficiently.

Adios

Dec 22, 2013, 11:20 AM

Post #5 of 6 (21385 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rvgringo] Whole house well water filtration system

Can't Post |
Thanks for your suggestions !

We live in a very new community on the outskirts of town. All utilities are in the ground. There is no municipal water. The well serves 50+ homes, of which ours at 400M2 is the tiniest. I doubt the problem is the well. The odor may be coming from the drains. There is an outfit in town which has offered to test our water for free but they are out until after the new year. To be honest it smells like mold or mildew to me - but the bathrooms are spotless.

I wonder if we were to go with a water filter system if they have the softener feature built-in.

We are from South Florida. The pool is like part of the family. The previous owner installed solar pads on the roof and left an almost brand new gas pool heater in the pool room. I guess it was prohibitively expensive. One thing you don't read much about is that the CFE government subsidy is about to expire and electic bills are about to double. Perhaps we will be hooking up the gas heater at some point.

rvgringo

Dec 22, 2013, 1:39 PM

Post #6 of 6 (21375 views)

Shortcut

You may be right about the odor, especially if the drains were not filled occasionally. They evaporate in this climate and allow sewer gas to permeate everything. So, be sure that you run water into all seldom used drains every week. The masonry will hold the odor for a while, so lots of ventilation may be the best approach for now. If the water itself does not smell, it is probably OK. You will have to decide on the amount of filtration and may want to wait to see if you really want a water softener; a completely separate issue.
Gas heating of a pool is very expensive and even running a circulating pump for roof panel heating is costly. Ideally, the solar panels should be downhill from the pool, letting convection provide the circulation; a rare opportunity unless you are on top of a south-facing hill. I do recommend solar heating of household water. Our unit is delightful.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4