Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Home, Garden & Construction in Mexico

robt65

Dec 18, 2013, 9:24 PM

Post #1 of 10 (22549 views)

Shortcut

Fester Bond 5 year - A Good Quality Product or Not?

Can't Post | Private Reply
Has anyone used Fester Bond 5 year warranty product on their roofs and if so how would you rate the product? Did you dilute the first coat and how m,any other coats did you use undiluted? Did you apply with roller or broom? How many years has it been in use on your roof and what do you think about it? Is there another product you would have used instead? Have you used another product for reroofing and what are your thoughts about it?
Thanks, for any information as we are getting ready to do this to our Boveda ceiling roof in January.
Regards,
Robt65
San Juan del Rio
Querétaro

Azuledos

Dec 19, 2013, 8:56 AM

Post #2 of 10 (22520 views)

Shortcut

Re: [robt65] Fester Bond 5 year - A Good Quality Product or Not?

We used Fester impermeabilzantes of our roof renovation. The FesterBond you mention is a white thick liquid used for adhering old to new concrete, fortifying latex paint and sealing blocks. When it dries it leaves a white coating, so if you are thinking of painting the inside of a brick boveda ceiling you should look elsewhere if you need something to dry clear. Comex has a 5:1 sealer that you can use for this. But, no sealant painted on the inside surface can keep water out..

If you are considering coating the exposed exterior roof with impermeabilzante, I think what you're asking about is their line of acyrlic waterproof coatings. There are three formulations: Classic (slow-drying, so it better not be applied if rain is expected that day) 3yr and 5yr grades, Imperfacil (quick-drying, homeowner quality) 3-5yr grades, and Acriton (quick drying, professional grade) 4-6-8-12yr grades. Red and white, they cover like thick paint. Our guys thin down the first coat, and then apply two undiluted coats on top of that, allowing drying between coats. Fill all cracks first, and best to imbed fabric over joints that might leak. BUT be aware that it is not a hard surface, and foot traffic (or sliding heavy objects on the surface) will abrade/tear the coating.

Here's a Profeco leaflet summarizing other brand options, lab rated for resistance to passage of water, etc: http://www.profeco.gob.mx/...5/impermea_feb05.pdf

Our Azuledos blog goes into our renovation, which involved painting 8yr Acriton on a sloping slab roof, then covering it with concrete tiles. Good luck with your project!

================================
Veracruz has to be the best kept secret in Mexico.
http://etepetzin.blogspot.com -&- http://azuledos.blogspot.com

robt65

Dec 19, 2013, 7:08 PM

Post #3 of 10 (22499 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Azuledos] Fester Bond 5 year - A Good Quality Product or Not?

Hello Dan,
Thanks for the feed back. Some good information to digest. I am familiar with the necessary work (impermeabilizantes (the verb, required for doing the actual work) for re roofing, as well as a myriad of various " impermeabilizar" (the noun -for a waterproofing material (products) such as an acrylic type of liquid) used in waterproofing in the re roofing process. I am also familiar with the process of cleaning and re varnishing the boveda ceiling from the inside, I have never heard yet of "painting one though in white or any other color, or even trying to keep pout the rain water using that method. I suppose painting could be done though, but certainly not for keeping water out and not for mine - thanks. Thanks for the difference between the Fester "Bond" and the Fester "Actriton", I will remember that for sure.
The reference site of the government testing results was very beneficial, a lot of good information of the various manufactures products. I was really surprised at the amount of suggested time between the complete cleaning of the roof, of old material, and applying the new material. Thirty days suggested, but with their explanation (as you scroll down under surface preparations) it does make sense. I was also very impressed with the study covering the movement of the building from street traffic. A good reason it should never dry out completely, it should have a good amount of flexibility to the material after application, for quite some time in he future of the re roofing job. That was one of the government grading points of the different products.
Another point that I have heard, is that it is much better to use a natural broom than a roller. A lot of folks mentioned that to me.
How long ago did you do your roof with the Fester product? How has it held up so far? Was yours a flat roof or Boveda? What was your amounts of rainfall like this year in your part of México? We seem to get a pretty fair amount of acid rain here in our part of the state of Querétaro. Mostly from all the brick ovens around this basin, as well as the farmers burning off their crops, and other manufacturing effluents. We are adding a paloma style brick toping or edging along the edge of the roof before we do the waterproofing, that should add a bit of Mexican tradition to the place, and it will match our raised garden beds, so the wife is happy about that.
Anyway Dan, thanks for the added information, very good information.
Regards,
Robt65
San Juan del Rio
Querétaro

sparks

Dec 20, 2013, 5:46 AM

Post #4 of 10 (22413 views)

Shortcut

http://youtu.be/1uCJrjxbBzM

I think the longevity depends on roof condition when applied and if it has foot traffic. I dilute on clean cement for penetration. Eventually fiber .. at least for corners and thru pipes .... or traffic spots. White will get filthy but is cooler than red

Sparks Mexico Blog - Sparks Costalegre

robt65

Dec 20, 2013, 10:22 AM

Post #5 of 10 (22400 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sparks] Fester Bond 5 year - A Good Quality Product or Not?

Hello Sparks,
Thanks for the reply, Sparks. We have almost no foot traffic on the roof, save the occasional opossum or two, four or five times a year. Other than that none, we have no roof dogs and there is no reason for anyone to be on the roof. I would personally like to use white as the color but, as I mentioned in the above response, we get a fair amount of acid rain. This is one of the reasons we are also taking off the old single row of 1/2 brick cap, on the outside edge of the roof wall, and replacing it with a new Paloma (two half brick and one full brick) cap all around the roof. Right now it is difficult to tell if the old single cap brick are red or black. Apparently no one had ever thought about cleaning these bricks as they re roofed in the past. So the color white is really out of the question for us. Even though the chimney is no longer functional (I sealed it off permanently, as we never use it. Its only use was providing a good travel path for the mice to visit inside our home in the winter time), we have cleaned the outside of the chimney and it will be sealed & varnished. Since we got our new front and back solid wood doors installed, so far this winter we have had not had one four legged visitor inside the home. I like it much better that way. The old entry doors mad about 25 years ago out of aluminum with louvered side panels never quite closed right and there was evidently enough gaps for the small mice to enter at will. Hopefully, that is a problem no more and a thing of the past.
Regards,
Robt65
San Juan del Rio
Querétaro

sparks

Dec 20, 2013, 4:42 PM

Post #6 of 10 (22380 views)

Shortcut

If you have really black bricks .... I would guess an old case of mold/moisture. If you can't clean them with cloro and a power wash I would get rid of them. Start over in a bad situation ....

Sparks Mexico Blog - Sparks Costalegre

robt65

Dec 20, 2013, 5:08 PM

Post #7 of 10 (22373 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sparks] Fester Bond 5 year - A Good Quality Product or Not?

Hello Sparks,
It's always difficult to tell for sure until you remove a brick or two, but judging from all the houses here that have the sae problem some after only one year of a new roof, it lends one to be suspicious of Acid Rain as the culprit. However if after removing a few bricks, any interior black material would most likely point to mold. for me the cost is much less important than the family's health and this is why without question the new Paloma design with bricks will be installed and all old brick removed.
Regards,
robt65

robt65

Jan 6, 2014, 7:26 PM

Post #8 of 10 (22195 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Azuledos] Fester Bond 5 year - A Good Quality Product or Not?

Hello Azuledos,
just wanted to get back to you and thank you again for the site referral. (http://www.profeco.gob.mx/...5/impermea_feb05.pdf) This was extremely helpful and really has some good information in it. After studying it for some time, I went shopping at different places for comparative pricing. That was another education and a good one with time invested that really paid off. Thanks again. A great resource.
Regards,
Robt65

rockydog85251

Jan 12, 2014, 2:41 PM

Post #9 of 10 (22110 views)

Shortcut

When we restored our 130+ yr old home, we too put down the white goo on our brand new roof....it lasted about 3 yr and then we started having a leak or two where the source could not located. So we had in a professional roofer and he suggested, that short of taking all the "new" stuff up and starting over, we could install a torch down roof. We were familiar with this type of roof due to having seen it used in the Phoenix area when we lived there. The material is a very wide roll of what looks like asphalt shingle material - at least a meter wide.........they cleaned the roof, used a tar like adhesive and literally torched it together...overlapping the rows like you would shingles. We have had it now for 10 yrs and not a leak .....NONE! Expensive but well worth it in our opinion and we have at least 5 more yrs of life expected from it.
Good luck!
Willie

robt65

Jan 12, 2014, 6:38 PM

Post #10 of 10 (22086 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rockydog85251] Fester Bond 5 year - A Good Quality Product or Not?

Hello Rockydog,,
First of all I had better qualify a few things as I may not have done so in the beginning. I do not have a "flat roof". I have a 35 year old home, that has 7 rather large rooms and all, with the exception of the two bathrooms, have boveda ceilings and consequently boveda roof in most places. There are 6 narrow "walkways" in between these boveda "outcroppings" on our roof.
Boveda brick are used on the boveda ceilings/roof, and a cement / "motaro" is used on the flat walkways which apparently are over the homes bearing walls. Around the outside walls of the home, on top of the outside walls only, is a /was a single row of full size bricks as what I know as a decorative wall cap. The "wall cap" bricks were in terrible shape and were mostly black on two sides and top faces. After removing them, apparently the portion concreted to the top of the outside walls were in fairly good shape, at least no apparent black mold.
Anyway, the project was started last Monday and all old brick wall caps removed and a new 3 brick "paloma style" wall cap installed. A half brick, one full brick 3/4 inch set outside from the half brick under it and another half brick set a further 3/4 inch horizontally further outside of that one. It really is quite nice looking. All of the paloma wall cap has been sealed with three coats and varnished with two coats, with ample drying time between all coats of sealer and varnish.
About 40% of the entire roof has been chipped, cleaned and inspected for any soft spots or visible cracks and / or chips. So far we have found a few and there are apparently only two drainage downspouts and neither one was installed correctly (Oh am I surprised). I found one large very soft spot over one of the bathroom flat roof areas, apparently because no proper ventilation from the bathroom ever existed, and / or, a mixture of what appears to be a mix of concrete / mortaro and too much call used as it almost all came out off that area of the roof in one piece. Not to mention a drainage spout that was not operational due to the slope and cross slope of the roof not being correct and water from the rains just pooled.
So now those areas will have a new concrete/mortaro section of roofing using a concrete bonding agent that I purchased in the USA. The whole roof is being cleaned of any previous waterproofing materials and a new sealer will be used X3 as well as three coats of 8 year Fester Imperfasil Classico. Hopefully that will make a good watertight roof and with new drainage lines also installed, along with a good 2% slope and cross slope towards said roof drains. Time taking and costly, yes for sure, but I think in the long run it will make a good serviceable dry roof for several years to come. At least I hope so.
Regards,
Robt65

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4