Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

RickS

Dec 16, 2013, 6:38 PM

Post #1 of 6 (5013 views)

Shortcut

Mexican Diesel Fuel

Can't Post | Private Reply
How good is it?

From time to time I hear comments about the quality of Mexican diesel fuel. Since a lot of Mexican (large) trucks run on diesel I can't see how it could be very bad. My 'data' may be old.
Does anyone here have any first hand knowledge about "today's" Mexican diesel?

chinagringo

Dec 16, 2013, 6:47 PM

Post #2 of 6 (5009 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Mexican Diesel Fuel

Rick:

Do you know whether Mexican diesel is being produced in Mexico or the US at the present time?
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

playaboy

Dec 17, 2013, 6:51 AM

Post #3 of 6 (4963 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
How good is it?

From time to time I hear comments about the quality of Mexican diesel fuel. Since a lot of Mexican (large) trucks run on diesel I can't see how it could be very bad. My 'data' may be old.
Does anyone here have any first hand knowledge about "today's" Mexican diesel?

I do have 1st hand experience with running MX diesel vs USA diesel. I had my truck here for 6 years. In my truck I had about 20% more power and 15% better mileage with MX diesel than when running USA diesel. My engine ran a little smoother too. I believe the difference is that in MX they run "Low Sulfur" diesel and in the USA it is "Ultra Low Sulfur". Newer trucks can have issues when not using "Ultra Low Sulfur" fuel.

RickS

Dec 17, 2013, 7:28 AM

Post #4 of 6 (4957 views)

Shortcut

Re: [playaboy] Mexican Diesel Fuel

Thanks for the input.

I came across this 'study', done by Texas A&M, on post 2007 Mexican trucks under various driving situations. The study measures the emissions for Mexican trucks using three types of fuel – the standard diesel available in Mexico, sold by PEMEX. ULSD fuel (mandated by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency [EPA] for use in 2007 and later model trucks in the U.S.), and a biodiesel mix (20 percent biodiesel fuel and 80 percent ULSD fuel).

The procedure involved testing emissions of carbon monoxide (CO), carbon dioxide (CO2), oxides of nitrogen (NO and NO2 – collectively referred to as NOx), total hydrocarbons (THC), and particulate matter (PM). Sampling was also performed for mobile-source air toxics (MSATS) under idling conditions.

In general, the results of this study suggest that using the ULSD fuel instead of the PEMEX fuel might not provide the expected emissions benefit. But as this carefully conducted scientific study shows, and contrary to what you’ve been led to believe, in most cases, PEMEX diesel fuel is comparable to USLD and can produce lower emissions, clearly debunking the claims of OOIDA and other opponents of cross border trucking who use environmental issues to cloud the debate over Mexican trucking.

See a detailed synopsis of the study here: http://www.mexicotrucker.com/study-suggests-mexicos-pemex-branded-diesel-fuels-comparable-to-us-diesel/

playaboy

Dec 17, 2013, 11:37 AM

Post #5 of 6 (4928 views)

Shortcut

It is not only the fuel differences that matter, it is also the engine differences that come into play. Newer USA diesels have computers to monitor and pollution control systems that were made to run on ULSD only. California now requires older commercial diesels trucks to retrofit their pollution control systems even though they are running ULSD or take them off the road or out of State. There is a lot of politics involved here too.

I had an old Ford truck with a 7.3 IDI International diesel for over 5 years in Mexico. It was a true oil burner and would run on practically any kind of oils. I could never understand how burning 15% more ULSD fuel was less polluting than using less LSD to drive the same distance.

Moisheh

Dec 31, 2013, 6:19 AM

Post #6 of 6 (4733 views)

Shortcut

Re: [playaboy] Mexican Diesel Fuel

Our experience in using Mexican diesel is primarily with 2 pre 02 emission systems vehicles and one 1988 Bluebird . Mexican diesel has a higher Cetane rating than NOB. All of those vehicles ran great on the Pemex diesel. Pemex diesel is mostly produced in the USA BUT it is NOT ULSD. I have mixed a small amount of this fuel with my ULSD in a 2008 Motorhome and it does tend to cause more regens. There are lots of USA PU's running the Mexican fuel in post 07 trucks and they seem to run OK. I would not try using it exclusively. Without decent fuel the Mexican economy would come to a halt. Trucking moves a lot of goods!

Moisheh

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4