Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

Wizardofaahs

Dec 16, 2013, 8:08 AM

Post #1 of 2 (2626 views)

Shortcut

Transmigrante vs Tourist

Can't Post | Private Reply
I have an old school bus with my personal belongings and some household goods. I want to travel to Chetumal and rent a small cottage to have as base camp so that I can tour Mexico, Guatemala, and Belize.

I am trying to get a temporary import permit for the bus and will pay duty on my belongings. I have been told that buses cannot get a temporary import permit, it is only for cars and pickups...not buses.

I have been told that Transmigrante status requires me to stick to a specific route and to deviate means trouble at checkpoints.

I do not want to travel the Transmigrante route, it is the area where all kinds of bad things have happened. I have a route that several acquaintances have used...mostly toll roads...and have never had a problem.

What is the correct one nformation?

Does the vehicle have to exit Mexico at the same border to get your bobd returned? If we decided to go further into Central America for longer, can we exit Mexico and surrender temp permit at a Southern border?

playaboy

Dec 16, 2013, 3:45 PM

Post #2 of 2 (2583 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Wizardofaahs] Transmigrante vs Tourist

Can't Post | Private Reply
If the school bus is converted into an RV than you can get a 10 year TIP. Then you can travel when ever and where ever you want.

If it is just an old school bus than you can only get a transmigrante permit. Most of the old school buses become the "chicken" buses of Central America. I believe you have to process your paperwork and cross at Los Indios. If you are personable and willing to drive hard, you can always try and hook up with the caravans running vehicles south to Belize. They leave from Los Indios all the time and there is safety in numbers.

When you get to the border with Belize you process your paperwork showing you exited Mexico. In QRoo you don't need a TIP (there is no total consensus on this) so if you stay within the State you should be OK. Be aware, you don't see many old school buses running around in QRoo so if you plan on driving around a lot you will attract attention.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4