2 boxers

Dec 15, 2013, 10:04 AM

Post #1 of 11 (2902 views)

Shortcut

Retirement Questions

Can't Post | Private Reply
HI All,

We are 2 boxers.

We are very glad to meet you all . Some of you we have read your personal web pages for a long time.

We are ,or were, hoping to meet you some time, to retire in the Ajijac area in a couple years.
We were reading the older posts and very excited until we read about the new income needed to get RP.
Now it seems we will not make it, as the wife never worked and I only have a small pension now and (in a few years) Social Security.

Have we been reading wrong or ?

Is there still a good reason to research/plan for Mexico or should we look toward Costa Rica or maybe Equator?
It will break our heart as we love Mexico but...
It seems the Mexican Government just built a very large market for the insurance companies as no one will qualify except well off people. Was that the intent?
Please give us some hope.

Very sad,

2 boxers

(This post was edited by Rolly on Dec 15, 2013, 10:09 AM)

DavidHF

Dec 15, 2013, 11:13 AM

Post #2 of 11 (2868 views)

Shortcut

Re: [2 boxers] Retirement Questions

Don't give up hope! If the combination of your pension and Social Security does not qualify you for Permanente, alternatively you can provide financial statements proving you have ~$100,000 US in a bank(s) or other investments. After you get your Residente Permanente (after moving here) your spouse/partner can apply for Permanente and it will be granted under the "Family Plan" without any further financial proof. When you move to Mexico the spouse/partner would enter on an FMM (Tourist Visa) which is good for 6 months, plenty of time for your RP to be processed.

joaquinx

Dec 15, 2013, 12:47 PM

Post #3 of 11 (2843 views)

Shortcut

Retirement Questions

You might qualify for a Residente Temporal. The income requirement are lower, but it is yearly and renewable. You might later (a few years) qualify for a RP based on time-in-residence.
_______
My desire to be well-informed is currently at odds with my desire to remain sane.

Gringal

Dec 15, 2013, 2:16 PM

Post #4 of 11 (2817 views)

Shortcut

This process has become complicated enough that my advice is to come on down on a tourist visa and if you already have figured out where you would like to live, contact a good local "facilitator" (recommended by others)who is familiar with these new regulations and work with him or her to see if you can squeak in on temporal and go permanente eventually. Worst case scenario, from what I know, is that you could be here, but would have to take some semi annual trips to the border to renew your visas. How does Baja sound??

We posters mean well, but I wouldn't base a life changing decision on what we can tell you. There are a few on here who are professionals, and they may chime in with some helpful suggestions. Best of luck to you two boxers.

joaquinx

Dec 15, 2013, 3:43 PM

Post #5 of 11 (2795 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gringal] Retirement Questions

In Reply To
. . .contact a good local "facilitator" (recommended by others)who is familiar with these new regulations and work with him or her to see if you can squeak in on temporal . . . .

How is a 'facilitator' here in Mexico help him when he has to apply at a consulate in his home country?
_______
My desire to be well-informed is currently at odds with my desire to remain sane.

Gringal

Dec 15, 2013, 4:42 PM

Post #6 of 11 (2780 views)

Shortcut

Re: [joaquinx] Retirement Questions

It has been interesting to note from posts on here that each state is interpreting the new rules differently. This will probably be standardized in time. Possibly a lot of time.

The usefulness of a "facilitator" would be in obtaining information and advice prior to applying at a consulate.

joaquinx

Dec 15, 2013, 4:57 PM

Post #7 of 11 (2769 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gringal] Retirement Questions

In Reply To
The usefulness of a "facilitator" would be in obtaining information and advice prior to applying at a consulate.

What information could this 'faciliitator' supply that would be different? Certainly not the income requirement. States have nothing to do with INM, because it's federal.
_______

chinagringo

Dec 15, 2013, 5:37 PM

Post #8 of 11 (2752 views)

Shortcut

Sorry Joaquinx but facilitators have been tweaking the rules for years and it appears that they continue to do so!
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

joaquinx

Dec 15, 2013, 6:17 PM

Post #9 of 11 (2740 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] Retirement Questions

In Reply To
Sorry Joaquinx but facilitators have been tweaking the rules for years and it appears that they continue to do so!

So the guy goes to a facilitator and then to the consulate. The consulate tells him that the facilitator is wrong. What next?

Still, what can the facilitator tell him that would be different that what the consulate tells him? The facilitator might tell him that his income is enough to qualify, but what happens when the consulate says it isn't. Does he hustle back to the facilitator and drag him up to talk to the consulate?

Facilitators have done it for 'years', but aren't those years over with the visa applications starting in the home country of the applicant?
_______

2 boxers

Dec 16, 2013, 5:23 AM

Post #10 of 11 (2687 views)

Shortcut

Hi All!
See why we are anxious to come down! Great bunch of people!
Thanks for the encouragement!
We realize we will be ok we just need to wait our turn, Waa..
It will take some time to work out the bugs in our own life any way.
It is hard to be patient (never been my strong suite), We have so much to loose by rushing it.
We will just hang out on this GREAT forum and learn from all of you that are actually doing now and perhaps see you on our next trip down!
Thanks guys!!
A couple of boxers.

Gringal

Dec 16, 2013, 7:35 AM

Post #11 of 11 (2644 views)

Shortcut

I hope you had your tongue in your cheek when you just wrote all that.
LOL!
But seriously, good luck to you.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4