Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

lizzers

Dec 12, 2013, 8:23 AM

Post #1 of 5 (2953 views)

Shortcut

Has anyone traveled without Retorno Seguro

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone here has traveled recently with an expired permit and without getting the retorno seguro? I asked for one and they are taking longer than expected...just wondering what kind of trouble I would run into if I drove without it...if any

Thanks!

robt65

Dec 12, 2013, 12:33 PM

Post #2 of 5 (2930 views)

Shortcut

Re: [lizzers] Has anyone traveled without Retorno Seguro

Hello lizzers,

you said . . . . . . . "just wondering what kind of trouble I would run into if I drove without it...if any" . . . . the answer is what side of the bed the Federale who stopped you or Aduana person as you exited México got up on in the morning. How much do you value your car? Does the word confiscation possibly assist you in making a decision?
Regards,
Robt65

RickS

Dec 12, 2013, 12:40 PM

Post #3 of 5 (2930 views)

Shortcut

Like so many other things in Mexico, you would only 'run into trouble' IF you were stopped for something. Since you are getting one, and they only last for 5 business days from issuance, we would assume that you are headed to the border and not just driving around.

Depending your your route to the border, it's unlikely that you will be stopped out on the highway, but you WILL go through some Federal stops. It's a crap-shoot as to whether you will be questioned about anything, much less a Retorno Seguro. I believe there is a 'higher awareness' among the Agents about this issue these days, especially on the Laredo run, but this does not mean YOU will be questioned (about anything).

What will happen IF you are stopped and are found to be illegally driving a car with a TIP is the million dollar question. Theoretically it could be confiscated but, in all the forums I read, there has been not one report of such a happening!

Hope you gets yours so you won't even have to worry about it.....

(This post was edited by RickS on Dec 12, 2013, 12:43 PM)

wilpharm

Dec 18, 2013, 4:42 PM

Post #4 of 5 (2800 views)

Shortcut

recently got ours in Tepic…filled out application at 11 AM..she said come back at 1:30 & it would be ready & amazingly it was…This is one of the few free things we have got from the Mex govt….FOrtunately we were never stopped on way back to border but its nice to know you have a "free pass".
This was on a Friday & the permit was good from Mon thru Friday the following week & the lady said it would also be honored that friday thru the weekend if we decided to leave early….I was shocked that it was ready so soon...

lizzers

Dec 18, 2013, 5:39 PM

Post #5 of 5 (2790 views)

Shortcut

Re: [wilpharm] Has anyone traveled without Retorno Seguro

I got mine in Mexico City and they claimed 5 days to process. I showed up on day 5 and told them I had to leave that day...they had all of the paperwork, but hadn't obtained final signatures. I traveled through GDL, Culiacan, Hermosillo, finally crossing at Nogales and was not asked for it once.

Thanks for all the responses!

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4