Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Technical Mexico

bjkrieg

Dec 11, 2013, 10:13 AM

Post #1 of 9 (22183 views)

Shortcut

where to buy a shaw direct dish

Can't Post | Private Reply
? can you help need to buy a shaw dish with lnbs, puerto vallarta or have it shipped in from ? and the total cost
thanks for any info.
i do have 2- 7ft dishes going to try and set to 107 ,111 have dish network lnbs and a dp 34 switch, has any one done this before.
thanks

YucaLandia

Dec 11, 2013, 3:29 PM

Post #2 of 9 (22158 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bjkrieg] where to buy a shaw direct dish

Hi,
The two large dishes you have should be more than large enough to receive the 107.3W and 111.1W Shaw signals. The Dish LNBs will not work for Shaw - different frequencies.

Notes on Shaw installations:
1. The skew on the LNBs is important for Shaw. Here in Yucatan, we rotate the 107.3 LNB to an angle that has the LNB body pointing to about 4:30 on the clock face (facing the front of the dish & back of the LNB).

2. Have you aligned dishes to find Shaw satellite signals in the past? It can be challenging compared to Dish Network and DirecTV. If you cannot find the 107.3W signal, instead first find the Dish Network 110W signal (easy - strong - wide tolerance), and then slightly rotate the dish just 2 degrees back towards the east, and tip the dish back (higher) by about 2 (56 vs 58) to get the dish very close to 107.3W signal positions. Go the other direction from 110W Dish signal starting position to find the 111.1W Shaw signal.

3. With 2 dishes and 2 separate LNBs, you also need a disk equalization switch for Shaw LNBs.

4. Is the receiver brand new or has it been in the stream before? Are you using an SWR, or the receiver to find the signals?
If using the receiver => What channel will you use for tuning? To use the receiver to find the satellite signals, Shaw generally uses either 354 for a previously mapped receiver or 284 for a virgin. This may be different for your Shaw receiver/dish/account combination. Obviously, use an HD channel to tune the 111.1W signals

5. The Shaw receivers signal strength indicators are slow to react to changes in dish position (up to 5 sec). Since the signal strength meter in Shaw Direct receivers is slow (updates signal strength every 5 seconds), some techs use the ebno number:

Using the ebno # follows one of these 2 ways:
Option 1: choose: 6-0-5 right arrow to diagnostic C
or
Option2: choose 6-4-7 line C

There will be a number that is either + or - its probably at -1.0 or -3.0 since you are not initially aimed on the satellite.

As you adjust the dish, when you get near the satellite, the number will start to move in a + direction. If you cannot find the Shaw signals, start with the dish near your Dish Network 110W azimuth and move it a very little bit at a time (towards the south) to get to 107.3W and wait 5-10 seconds for the receiver to react.

Hope that helps,
steve

-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

(This post was edited by YucaLandia on Dec 11, 2013, 3:53 PM)

johanson / Moderator

Dec 12, 2013, 6:08 AM

Post #3 of 9 (22122 views)

Shortcut

Would the Shaw Direct elliptical 75E dish and matching Quad LNB work there? Although only 26.5 by 36.5 inches they provide a very strong signal just east of there in the greater Guadalajara area. The trouble is they are getting harder and harder to find as Shaw is clamping down on distant reception.
You might want to check with your local satellite dealer
Many use these elliptical dishes around the shores of Lake Chapala and are very satisfied

bjkrieg

Dec 12, 2013, 6:37 AM

Post #4 of 9 (22114 views)

Shortcut

first thanks for all the info, it is hard to find.
yes as i get in to it ,a e75 dish with lnbs is the way to go and if i have dish in states the channel map well work with the same-dish , lnbs. The way i understand it. more /less
thank you very much.
bj

YucaLandia

Dec 12, 2013, 7:33 AM

Post #5 of 9 (22107 views)

Shortcut

Just to confirm the information: Pete's advice is dandy, since going the the Shaw dual LNB resolves the LNB issues and disc equalization switch issues. LNBs cost about $25 each and disc equalization switches cost about $12 - $25, so if you could find a cheap used Shaw elliptical dish w/working LNB(s), you might save some $$.

Note that Shaw signals this far south are relatively weak, and are knocked out by light/modest cloud cover. If you go with the 2 large dish solution, you would find you get less dropouts and get a lot more stable-stronger signals during overcast periods.
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff

bjkrieg

Dec 12, 2013, 8:01 AM

Post #6 of 9 (22101 views)

Shortcut

Re: [YucaLandia] where to buy a shaw direct dish

thanks for the advice, what i am finding the local suppliers what $450.00 or $500.00 use for a dish i can buy for $200.00 w fright in the states, but i am not in the states. Finding a used one is hard so far.
i don't know what a disc equalization switch is? the lnbs i can have brought down my son in december 24th if i get them order. would they be the shaw duel or triple lnbs or a speacel ones. for a round offset dish.
Do you know any one with a e75 , lnbs for sale around you. i can pay the fright to p.v. that sounds like the best way to go now.
thanks again. bob

johanson / Moderator

Dec 12, 2013, 9:27 AM

Post #7 of 9 (22092 views)

Shortcut

Re: [YucaLandia] where to buy a shaw direct dish

Hey Steve your info is very helpful as well. Here along the shores of Lake Chapala, I guess I have what you would call a dish farm. I have a spare 4 foot and 6 foot Ku dish that I needed when I had Dish and use my 2.4 meter for DirecTV (3 LNBs one pointing at each satellite which are very close together)
Yet because of the strong signal from the birds at 97.3 and 111.1 degrees West I choose to use my much smaller 75 E elliptical dish for Shaw Direct. (26.5 by 36.5 inch) And it has to rain pretty hard before I loose my signal which was not the case with DISH or DirecTV US which would loose their signal with a slight rain even though the satellite dishes were much larger.
I agree with Steve that where the signal is weak, that one should use larger satellite dishes. But thank God, Shaw's signals are so strong here that I have never considered using anything but a 75 E down here. (Up north the 60 E is just great)

I edited this post. I incorrectly posted that Anik F2 was at 101.1 NO PETER (I say to myself), it's at 111.1 degrees West. :)

(This post was edited by johanson on Dec 12, 2013, 3:33 PM)

YucaLandia

Dec 12, 2013, 5:41 PM

Post #8 of 9 (22064 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
thanks for the advice, what i am finding the local suppliers what $450.00 or $500.00 use for a dish i can buy for $200.00 w fright in the states, but i am not in the states. Finding a used one is hard so far.
i don't know what a disc equalization switch is? the lnbs i can have brought down my son in december 24th if i get them order. would they be the shaw duel or triple lnbs or a speacel ones. for a round offset dish.
Do you know any one with a e75 , lnbs for sale around you. i can pay the fright to p.v. that sounds like the best way to go now.
thanks again. bob

Pete's advice is solid. Get the e75 and dual LNB if you can (since it has the switch - "DiSEqC (Digital Satellite Equipment Control) - built in).

A DiSEqC looks like a big splitter, and it is simply an electronically controlled switch that your receiver uses/controls to switch from one LNB to a different LNB. If you use 2 separate LNBs (and 2 dishes), you would need a DiSEqC switch that operates at the frequency that Shaw uses.

Here are some pictures:
or

Happy Trails,
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff

Mexipatdf

Dec 14, 2013, 7:40 PM

Post #9 of 9 (22015 views)

Shortcut

I know the elliptical 75 dish works as far south as Belize, Central America, but it suffers some signal loss in rain, that I know from reports from Shaw subscribers down there.

So, like mentioned above, you could go easy with setting up a system with the 75e dish, maybe sacrificing some signal loss in moderate to heavy rains, if you go this way you can forget about working with aligning 2 separate dishes, getting the right lnbs and right switch.

The other option you have is to use your 2 large dishes, to point each one to one sat. The advantage of this option is that you have a smaller chance of losing signal in rain.

Since I understand you used those 2 large dishes with a Dish Network setup, I have to mention, the following, and Im talking also from my experience of converting a 2 dish Disih Network system to a Shaw Direct setup.

Sure you can point 1 dish to 107 the other one to 111w.

Please note the lnbs (circular) that you used for Dish network are not useful with Shaw which requires standard Ku lnbs.

Shaw direct uses a 22khz switch tone, which means that using the 2 separate large dish setup, you need a 22khz switch, to combine both signals to your receiver. (Not sure if youve mentioned if you have the receiver already, and/or what model).

I used to have a SW21 switch for dish network, I toyed around with it when I converted my dish setup to Shaw, and I learned that Dish systems use different switches than Shaw, therefore your dp34 dish switch wont work with Shaw.

I can recommend a couple of 22khz switches, in my current Shaw setup with 2 separate large dishes I use an Ecoda 22khz switch, (I mentioned this in the other forum).

I see you can buy a 75e dish in Canada for about $140-150 Canadian. You would need the dish with quad lnbs. If you get the dish with the XKu lnbs (extended Ku lnbs) that could cause problems since the signal for Anik G1 does not cover Mexico.

http://www.onesat.ca/...cm-dish-complete.htm

http://www.canadasatellite.ca/...5e-dish-comp-can.htm

Consider that if you have this sent via courier youd have to add shipping and custom tax (estimate about 16% for custom tax on the value of the goods plus shipment cost). In my experience some courier companies will charge the customs tax only on the value of the goods without including the shipping cost, according to Mexican customs law the tax should be calculated on the total of the goods value AND the shipping cost, (I had this experience with Fedex only charging it on the goods and not the shipping cost).

Im estimating that this option would be cheaper than the $450 you mention that local dealers are charging for a used dish ?

If you have this sent it via mail, you have up to $300 US Dollars custom tax free exemption. Although this option of course would take more time especially around this beautiful time of the year. If you use the mail option you want to use registered mail (the USPS priority mail Canadian equivalent should work).

Since you already have the large dishes, Id say bigger is better, especially during rainy days.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4