Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Central Highlands

delacube

Dec 3, 2013, 12:43 PM

Post #1 of 4 (2705 views)

Shortcut

Questions about moving to San Miguel

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hi all. I live in FL with my wife but am thinking of moving to San Miguel part time and wanted to ask some questions. I'm Cuban (came when I was 5 to US) but I'm more of a Gringo than Latino. My wife is from Brazil but has been in US 19 years. We both speak Spanish.

Anyway I was there for a few days in late October. Thought the town was beautiful, the weather was great, and it had a good vibe. But let me get on to my questions.

How do the expats meet or communicate outside this board? Do we just run into each other?

Looking to volunteer. Heard about someone people that helped build houses for the poor there, volunteer for tours of the city, and so on. Any contacts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Don't want to sound insulting but it seemed that the few restaurants we ate at didn't have as good of Mexican food as there was in US. For that matter the restaurants were only passible but not great. Note we like small joints as well as fancy and in FL or in Asheville, NC (were we live part time) we find loads that are great. Since we eat out a lot we were just wondering.

How about music that is not Salsa or Mexican. We went to a Jazz restaurant that had a great band but is this the only place. Not a huge fan of Spanish music so wanted to know about places or opportunities to hear more.

Finally love theater, concerts, dance performances, and such. Is there much of a opportunity for this there?

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks for your time.

RickS

Dec 3, 2013, 1:18 PM

Post #2 of 4 (2694 views)

Shortcut

Re: [delacube] Questions about moving to San Miguel

The 'best' way to hook up with Gringos in San Miguel might be:
+ Go to the Biblioteca .... there you will meet MANY Gringos and have a chance to sign up for mucho.
+ There is a forum there... it's accessed through Yahoo Groups... sign up for "Civil_SMA".

Nighttime temps will be lower in Dec/Jan/Feb than you experienced in October. It CAN get into the 30s and even freeze on occasion. Winter may also bring some air pollution.

It could be that you are accustomed to "tex-mex" food (I've not eaten Mexican in Asheville but have in Fl). I find that there are some seriously good Mexican restaurants in SMA but there are also some Gringo-Mexican ones there too. In your 'few days' in SMA you just didn't find the good ones!

There is definitely non-salsa music there. Also there are, throughout the year, many 'name' groups who visit SMA. Doc Severinsen has a home there and sometimes 'his' group, The San Miguel 5 play. In November they had their 13th Annual Jazz and Blues Festival. My wife and I went to a GREAT Blues Harmonica 'concert' in the local Theatro.... two of America's best (white) harmonica players. This kind of thing goes on year around.

There are many theater, concert and dance performances, both Mexican and English. MANY. You can get a weekly email of "all things happening in SMA" by asking at this address: events at sanmiguelevents dot com

delacube

Dec 4, 2013, 4:49 AM

Post #3 of 4 (2649 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Questions about moving to San Miguel

Thanks. This helps. How about some of the volunteer opportunities?

Sonia Diaz

Feb 4, 2014, 5:17 PM

Post #4 of 4 (2346 views)

Shortcut

Re: [delacube] Questions about moving to San Miguel

http://soothersmayeatmexico.org/

http://feedthehungrysma.org/

Santa Julia orphanage
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sonia/252211011634302

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4