Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Mexico City & Surroundings

geoffbob

Dec 2, 2013, 5:55 PM

Post #1 of 5 (6597 views)

Shortcut

Where to change USD for MXN

Can't Post | Private Reply
I have some left-over dollars I'd like to change. What would be the most advantageous way to do that? Should I go to a casa de cambio or to a bank? I've had visions of over 13/1 dancing in my head but walked past a couple of cambios today offering what appeared at first glance to be 12.75/1

Update: I just went to HSBC where I have had an account for five years and they wouldn´t change dollars. They also refused to allow me to deposit the dollars in my account.

Im told I should have changed them at the airport. Casa de cambio entonces.

(This post was edited by geoffbob on Dec 3, 2013, 7:42 AM)

jreboll

Dec 11, 2013, 2:45 AM

Post #2 of 5 (6479 views)

Shortcut

Re: [geoffbob] Where to change USD for MXN

Friday I exchanged dollars at the Texas border for 12.55

geoffbob

Dec 11, 2013, 5:05 AM

Post #3 of 5 (6472 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jreboll] Where to change USD for MXN

Wow! 12.55 is something I've not seen here in D.F. The best rate in my walkable area has been 12.40 and that was last week. Since then the rate has dropped. I changed all of my bucks at 12.35. On Paseo de la Reforma I was offered 12.20 and so walked the four blocks to get the 12.35. I saved 220 Pesos, enough to buy me 12 liquados outside my hotel. Booya!

mexliving

Feb 11, 2014, 12:32 AM

Post #4 of 5 (5798 views)

Shortcut

very dangerous to exchange money at Mexican airports....... i remember the European scientist from d.f. that went to the airport with his driver.... people inside the airport watched and followed him..... they used 3 vehicles to block him and they shot him in the head....

Maesonna

Feb 11, 2014, 10:06 AM

Post #5 of 5 (5767 views)

Shortcut

I’d have no hesitation with changing some dozens or up to a couple hundred dollars at the airport. The tragic deaths in the cases of people who were followed and killed after exchanging at the airport (the case mexliving cited was only one of several) were carrying thousands of dollars worth of cash – never a prudent thing to do anywhere under any circumstances.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4