Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

Guavagto

Dec 1, 2013, 11:00 AM

Post #1 of 10 (4770 views)

Shortcut

Travel From San Miguel de Allende To Laredo

Can't Post | Private Reply
Has anyone made this trip recently or have any information on conditions on the roads/cities/issues.

The plan is to San Luis , Saltillo, (couta around Saltillo) Couta to Monterrey, Couta to Nuevo Laredo, circle the city to the right and exit Bridge 2.

Also the number of the Federal Police or should I rely on 066 and 078 Green Angels.

Thanks Norma

playaboy

Dec 1, 2013, 1:19 PM

Post #2 of 10 (4756 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Guavagto] Travel From San Miguel de Allende To Laredo

The roads are great with lots of new asphalt. Use those phone numbers or the numbers for the autopista's at the toll booths.

RickS

Dec 1, 2013, 1:59 PM

Post #3 of 10 (4750 views)

Shortcut

Piece of cake.... all cuota, all good. Plenty of Pemex stations. Watch your speed on the Potosi 57 bypass. Approaching Monterrey, be in the right lane at the last toll booth to be able to take the bypass (periferico) around the NW side.

chicois8

Dec 1, 2013, 4:01 PM

Post #4 of 10 (4740 views)

Shortcut

Just don't crash this time..........
Rincon de Guayabitos,Nayarit
San Mateo, California

Irishincolumbus

Dec 11, 2013, 5:09 PM

Post #5 of 10 (4562 views)

Shortcut

Norma , do you plan to do the trip in one haul or stop somewhere , if so any suggestions?
I'm planning on a trip from Queretaro but its a stretch to do in one day especially as a first timer heading North on the road.
More road details would also be appreciated or is Google Map a good source ?

Cheers, James

Guavagto

Dec 11, 2013, 6:58 PM

Post #6 of 10 (4543 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Irishincolumbus] Travel From San Miguel de Allende To Laredo

James I should have posted a trip report.
It was 9 hours from our house untill we crossed Bridge 2.
Usually it is about 8 1/2 but there was a serious slow down after the Big Reststop (Javier) before Saltillo. I saw the trucks going slow and kept pace. We were pulled over probably because we drive a truck. We showed our papers and were waved on. Also were warned about serious traffic stops on the Couta around San Luis.
We loose half an hour a a two lane road with a small village before we hit 57.
We take turns driving but usually travel with two dogs and stuff in the back of the truck so that adds a little mote time.
We stop at the couta around San Luis, buy gas, and breakfast to go.
We buy tortas and gas at the couta around Matchuala.
Then at the reststop before Saltillo. We buy gas aand this will take us all the way to Laredo but we usually stop at the Garcia's on the Nuevo Laredo Couta.
In the past we would start from Austin and stay in Saltillo on the return. Now we just start from the border and hopefully home way before dark.
We don't drive after dark so if were had to we would stay in Saltillo or Matchuala (probably return Matchuala). Things can be dicey in the towns after dark so we just try to time things for a one day trip.
The roads are excellent, We take all of the coutas. The coutas around Saltillo and Monterrey are sometimes not to well marked but they are used to helping people return to the coutas.
In the Summer the one day trip is so easy.
Try and determine how long you might need to wait on Bridge Two. Note I do not take the Columbus Bridge on the advice of one of our regular posters.
PM me if you need more info. Norma

Irishincolumbus

Dec 12, 2013, 5:42 PM

Post #7 of 10 (4494 views)

Shortcut

Norma , thank you very much for your helpful reply. James

wilpharm

Dec 18, 2013, 4:52 PM

Post #8 of 10 (4372 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Travel From San Miguel de Allende To Laredo

as Rick said there is a Major speed trap on the bypass about where the factory entrances are….ask me how I know!!!!!
sometimes there are 2 Federales about a mile apart
speed limit goes from 100KM to 60Km & only one little sign…
this is a wide, straight road & hard to drive only 60 but I would strongly advise it...

playaboy

Dec 19, 2013, 7:26 AM

Post #9 of 10 (4351 views)

Shortcut

Re: [wilpharm] Travel From San Miguel de Allende To Laredo

I drive that route frequently. I just set the cruise control.

I have been pulled over many times for them to check my papers. Most of the time it is State Cops. Besides the area of the speed limit reduction where they snag many people, the cops heavily patrol that whole section of road.

Did you get a ticket?

wilpharm

Dec 24, 2013, 12:08 PM

Post #10 of 10 (4185 views)

Shortcut

Re: [playaboy] Travel From San Miguel de Allende To Laredo

I played their game & gave the federal his tequila money…didnt have time to fight it...

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4