Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region

johanson

Nov 30, 2013, 6:09 PM

Post #1 of 10 (4486 views)

Shortcut

rum & diet, decaffeinated coke.

Can't Post | Private Reply
I greatly enjoy a rum and coke each night. The trouble is, I have to watch my weight and because cokes are caffeinated and will mess up my sleep I had to buy imported decaffeinated diet coke from the US for $11 pesos for 12 ounce can. (355 ml) And that's not cheap. And the only place I could buy it was Superlake.

Not anymore; Superlake was able to get Coke, Mexico to provide the same product. Now I can get a 600 ml or a 20 ounce bottle of the same product made here in Mexico for only $9 pesos or so, or at 1/2 the price per ounce I was paying or the imported product.

WHY am I posting this? Well, because, so far I'm the only one buying this product and if no one else likes diet decaffeinated coke at this lower price they (Superlake) will probably stop carrying it.

So please fellow rum and coke drinkers, if you want diet decaffeinated coke at half price, start buying it in the coke bottle section of Superlake, or they will stop carrying it.

chinagringo

Nov 30, 2013, 6:41 PM

Post #2 of 10 (4478 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] rum & diet, decaffeinated coke.

Pete:

While I cannot stand diet drinks, I was a rum and Pepsi drinker for years. The caffeine in Pepsi started to bother me in my old age and I switched to rum and Squirt and all is good. While diet Squirt is available in Mexico, Kathy has to buy it in Tucson because it isn't available in New Mexico.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

RickS

Dec 1, 2013, 9:05 AM

Post #3 of 10 (4433 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] rum & diet, decaffeinated coke.

Squirt (diet also) and tequila seems to be a popular drink (Gringo?) here at Lakeside.....

Personally I have not found any diet drink that doesn't leave that 'taste' in my mouth looooong after I swallow so I don't imbibe.

chinagringo

Dec 1, 2013, 9:26 AM

Post #4 of 10 (4427 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] rum & diet, decaffeinated coke.

Rick:

Some years back, I read an article that claimed men had different taste buds and experienced an aftertaste that women don't.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

Rolly

Dec 1, 2013, 9:30 AM

Post #5 of 10 (4428 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] rum & diet, decaffeinated coke.

Squirt (diet also) and tequila seems to be a popular drink (Gringo?) here at Lakeside.....
It is not a Gringo drink. It's very common in my area. It's called a Canario.

Rolly Pirate

esperanza

Dec 2, 2013, 6:16 AM

Post #6 of 10 (4376 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] rum & diet, decaffeinated coke.

Interesting name, Rolly. Everywhere I've traveled in Mexico the mixed drink Squirt and tequila is called a paloma. It usually has a pinch of salt and a squeeze of limón to spark the taste and is served in a tall glass over ice.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

DavidHF

Dec 2, 2013, 10:47 AM

Post #7 of 10 (4353 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] rum & diet, decaffeinated coke.

The Margarita is the gringo drink.

Sunnyvmx

Dec 3, 2013, 3:57 AM

Post #8 of 10 (4322 views)

Shortcut

Re: [DavidHF] rum & diet, decaffeinated coke.

Nothing gringo about my margarita...two shots of 100 Anos tequila blanca and half a large limon squeezed over ice. That's my drink of choice, but for guests I make the limeade and add the liquor de naranja. I cut back on the tequila and use the cheap stuff. Don't tell anyone.

esperanza

Dec 3, 2013, 5:44 AM

Post #9 of 10 (4316 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Sunnyvmx] rum & diet, decaffeinated coke.

What the other poster meant by 'gringo drink' is that few Mexicans--and then mostly women--drink margaritas. The margarita is considered to be a ladies' drink. Mexicans generally drink tequila straight, with a sangrita chaser, or they drink the tequila mixed drink that I described above: the paloma.

Many, many Mexicans (especially men) drink Buchanan's, a whiskey. Many more drink Presidente, a brandy. And many drink a cuba libre (rum and coke with a squeeze of limón), affectionately known as a cubita. In Mexico City, the drink of choice right now is frequently straight mezcal, not tequila at all.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

Bennie García

Dec 3, 2013, 7:02 AM

Post #10 of 10 (4309 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] rum & diet, decaffeinated coke.

The liquor of choice generally runs along socio-economic lines. The mezcal fad is just that and mostly amongst the well off younger crowd. Good mezcal can be pricey.

Buchanons is the drink of choice amongst the buchonas, not because they can appreciate the subtety of the flavor but simply to impress others. You'll often see them ruin it by mixing it with soft drinks.

Years ago brandy was ubiquitous at large social gatheings such as fiestas and dances. Don Pedro and Presidente, sometimes Viejo Vergel, with soda water and Coke set ups. Nowaday with a much greater choice you will see Absolut vodka or higher priced brandies etc.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4