Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Mexican Kitchen

tashby

Nov 30, 2013, 2:47 PM

Post #1 of 18 (78007 views)

Shortcut

Mole Pipián?

Can't Post | Private Reply
Is that right? I'm assuming there is an accent over the "a" in Pipián. Anyway....

There were some vendors in town from the Tierra Caliente de Michoacan last week, and I ended up buying a bag of powder to make Mole Pipián. The only problem is, I have no idea what to do with it. When I google recipes, I see plenty but they're all from scratch and I think my powder is sort of a starter kit. I remember the vendor saying that for every 100 grams of powder I use, I need to combine 250 grams of "cooked tomatoes", plus some cilantro, etc., and put it through the blender to liquify. But to be honest, I don't know if he meant (red) tomatoes, or perhaps more likely, tomatillos. He definitely used the word jitomate.

Any ideas? Anybody have a recipe that starts with the powder?

(This post was edited by tashby on Nov 30, 2013, 2:48 PM)

La Isla

Nov 30, 2013, 5:30 PM

Post #2 of 18 (77990 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tashby] Mole Pipián?

Jitomate definitely means red tomatoes - tomatillos are small green relatives of what we call tomatoes in English.

esperanza

Nov 30, 2013, 9:22 PM

Post #3 of 18 (77974 views)

Shortcut

Re: [La Isla] Mole Pipián?

In Reply To
Jitomate definitely means red tomatoes - tomatillos are small green relatives of what we call tomatoes in English.

La Isla, tomatillos are completely unrelated to tomatoes. In fact, the word tomatillo isn't used in the central part of Mexico--they're always called tomate or occasionally tomate verde. The tomate is related to the Cape Gooseberry, and grows inside a papery husk.

And as for 'mole pipián': mole is a sauce based on chiles, and pipián is a sauce based on seeds. I have never heard the names combined.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

(This post was edited by esperanza on Nov 30, 2013, 9:26 PM)

La Isla

Nov 30, 2013, 9:36 PM

Post #4 of 18 (77968 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Mole Pipián?

Thanks for the correction, esperanza. I always wondered what the relation was between jitomate and tomatillo, and I've just learned that there isn't any, biologically speaking. I wonder what they were called before the Spaniards showed up.

esperanza

Dec 1, 2013, 6:06 AM

Post #5 of 18 (77953 views)

Shortcut

Re: [La Isla] Mole Pipián?

Tomate is derived from the Nahuatl word tomatl. Jitomate comes from the Nahuatl xitomatl.

tashby

Dec 1, 2013, 7:53 AM

Post #6 of 18 (77936 views)

Shortcut

Huh. I thought pipián was just another type of mole since mole means sauce. Anyway, this dictionary business is all very interesting but we're not in the language forum and I still don't know what to do with this powder.

Does anybody have a recipe for pipián that starts with the base powder? Thanks.

citlali

Dec 1, 2013, 8:07 AM

Post #7 of 18 (77928 views)

Shortcut

I will ask my maid about the pipian if you do not get an answer but I add tomatoes, garlic and chocolate A and caldo de pollo to the moles I get from Oaxaca usually red and black.

If the vendor tol you to add a tomatoes, I would put a few on a comal and burn them to get the skin out or in boiling water to peel them and add them to the pipian with a little caldo de pollo and cook until it taste the way you want it.If it looks too thick add caldo de pollo and cook until you get the right thickness.
I do not know what the correct way to do it is but I would try this way and see what happens

opps put in a blender after you have your mixture..never heard of mole and pipian put together... In Jalisco you can find good pipian.

(This post was edited by citlali on Dec 1, 2013, 8:09 AM)

Maesonna

Dec 1, 2013, 8:46 AM

Post #8 of 18 (77920 views)

Shortcut

The pipián powder we buy is complete – we just combine it with broth – but I don’t know whether yours is the same.

As for tomatoes, to summarize the above discussion:

jitomate = (red) tomato
tomate (or sometimes tomate verde) = Physalis philadelphica - tomatillo

Rolly

Dec 1, 2013, 9:56 AM

Post #9 of 18 (77908 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Maesonna] Mole Pipián?

jitomate = (red) tomato

Well, folks, it's not quite that simple or universal. Here in the north country tomate is tomato and tomatillo is tamatillo.
I'm looking at a Soriana receipt that clearly says I bought tomates, and they were red tomatoes. I just looked at three online menus of area restaurants. All listed tomates.

Rolly Pirate

Maesonna

Dec 1, 2013, 9:58 AM

Post #10 of 18 (77905 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Mole Pipián?

Oops – it seems I fell into the trap again of thinking that what goes in my region goes for all Mexico.

I knew tomate is (red) tomatoes in other Spanish-speaking countries, but I didn’t know that it is also valid for some regions of Mexico. Thanks for the correction.

Bennie García

Dec 1, 2013, 12:56 PM

Post #11 of 18 (77890 views)

Shortcut

Some recipes use jitomate some use tomate and some use both. To confuse you even more, aome don't use either. Many of the red pipian get their color from certain chiles.

esperanza

Dec 1, 2013, 5:09 PM

Post #12 of 18 (77874 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Mole Pipián?

In Reply To
jitomate = (red) tomato

Well, folks, it's not quite that simple or universal. Here in the north country tomate is tomato and tomatillo is tamatillo.
I'm looking at a Soriana receipt that clearly says I bought tomates, and they were red tomatoes. I just looked at three online menus of area restaurants. All listed tomates.

That's what I meant in my post when I said that the terminology I mentioned was used in CENTRAL Mexico. As Rolly said, the terminology is different in Northern Mexico.

esperanza

Dec 1, 2013, 5:14 PM

Post #13 of 18 (77872 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
Huh. I thought pipián was just another type of mole since mole means sauce. Anyway, this dictionary business is all very interesting but we're not in the language forum and I still don't know what to do with this powder.

Does anybody have a recipe for pipián that starts with the base powder? Thanks.

What color is the powder you have? Pipián can be white (definitely no tomatoes), green (no red tomatoes), and red--which MIGHT need tomatoes. I think that what you need to do is roast the tomatoes (as another poster mentioned) and liquify them in the blender--probably with a little chicken broth--heat that liquid and add it to the powder until the pipián is the consistency you like. IMHO, it should be thick enough to cling to a spoon, about the thickness of a mole.

chicois8

Dec 2, 2013, 9:38 AM

Post #14 of 18 (77835 views)

Shortcut

When I travel in the Yucatan I buy a product called Sikil Pak which is a roasted pumpkin seed that's ground into a fine powder, it can be sprinkled on eggs or mixed with pico de gallo for a delicious dip....
Rincon de Guayabitos,Nayarit
San Mateo, California

tashby

Dec 2, 2013, 10:22 AM

Post #15 of 18 (77825 views)

Shortcut

Thanks for all the replies. Looks like I have some experimenting to do.

The powder is an ochre color, about the color of curry powder. So it could probably go in either a reddish or green direction. It tastes sort of earthy/musky, if that makes any sense, with perhaps a tiny bit of chile but not much. I'm going to guess that what I have here are the dry ingredients, ground up possibly roasted seeds and maybe a little dry, ground chile.

Maesonna

Dec 2, 2013, 11:28 AM

Post #16 of 18 (77817 views)

Shortcut

Well, for what it’s worth, our pipián powder is the same colour, and we don’t add any other ingredients when we prepare it.

esperanza

Dec 2, 2013, 3:50 PM

Post #17 of 18 (77801 views)

Shortcut

Green pipián would be green powder. What you have is red. Try a little of the powder made with chicken stock. If you think it would be better with tomato added, go for it. But as the other poster said, roast the tomato(s) first and liquify them to add to the stock.

citlali

Dec 4, 2013, 5:44 AM

Post #18 of 18 (77757 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chicois8] Mole Pipián?

Roasted ground pumpkin seeds are widely available in bulk in the Oaxaca and Chiapas markets as well. As Chicois said it is delicious sprinkled on eggs tacos and whatever food you think it would work with.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4