Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region

skydancer

Nov 28, 2013, 7:23 PM

Post #1 of 4 (3867 views)

Shortcut

Lost tourist visa in GDL 25 November

Can't Post | Private Reply
On November 25, after 24 hours of no sleep and lots of stress, I lost my tourist visa in Guadalajara airport. Small piece of paper that got away from me. I've searched my pockets, purse and luggage for hours. I simple don't have it. Have e-ticket, boarding passes and green date stamped in passport.

Remember tucking tourist visa inside my passport after it was stamped and handed back to me. I assumed it was inside when I handed passport to woman at station where you push button to get red/green for luggage search. Got green. After that I have no clue what happened to it. New passport and was stamped in the middle where the seam is. There is a small gap so paper could easily have fallen out.

Am in Mexico for 51 days, flying out on January 13 on early flight. No vehicle.

Understand that legally I am required to report loss and file for new visa as soon as possible. I don't want to pay taxi fare to/from GDL to get replacement visa but will do that if it is the most efficient and inexpensive option. Cost me 380 plus tip to get to Chapala and last time I visited it cost me 500 plus tip to return. I don't speak Spanish so using a taxi is a challenge.

I think the immigration office in Chapala has closed but may have been misinformed.

Welcome advice.

Intercasa

Nov 29, 2013, 9:22 AM

Post #2 of 4 (3824 views)

Shortcut

Re: [skydancer] Lost tourist visa in GDL 25 November

Just declare it lost at the airport when you leave and pay a 300 pesos fine.
Mexican licensed attorney (Cédula #7928026) and official court translator (Perito Traductor). Mx 376-765-7553, USA 805-683-4848

skydancer

Nov 29, 2013, 11:38 AM

Post #3 of 4 (3806 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Intercasa] Lost tourist visa in GDL 25 November

I am a worrier so decided to take care of the problem now rather than at the airport in the wee hours of the morning on my departure day.

Walked to Immigracion,(hours 9 - 1), got specifics, walked to Spencer's office. Denise helped me with paperwork and created letter in Spanish. Spencer has professional and courteous staff,

Walked to bank and paid restitution (295). Back to Immigracion and submitted paperwork. Was not told I needed a copy of bank receipt. Walked to Guad Pharmacy for copy and back to Immigracion. Was allowed to jump to front of line. Forms accepted. All good. Hearing is next Tuesday, 3 December at 1 PM.

Was very worried when I posted last night. Love the fact I was able to find information about Immigracion de Chapala using Google search as well as address and even picture of building on Spencer's site. Found map of chapala with street names listed.

After my long trek I am tired physically, felt like 5 miles, but I'm proud I handled the situation - with help from Denise.

Thanks for the advice.

skydancer

Dec 3, 2013, 5:11 AM

Post #4 of 4 (3697 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Intercasa] Lost tourist visa in GDL 25 November

Day of hearing. 1 AM, couldn't sleep so began preperations for the day. Found tourist visa in a section of my laptop case. Such a small piece of paper, same size as page in passport. Is now securely paper clipped inside passport. Will walk to INM and explain. Thanks again to Spencer's staff for assistance and those who sent me a PM with advice or offers of assistance.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4