Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Technical Mexico

Adios

Nov 26, 2013, 1:11 PM

Post #1 of 4 (8823 views)

Shortcut

Telmex - use you own equipment ?

Can't Post |
We are moving soon. Currently we have Telmex fiber and it is incredible. We will be going back to copper at the new place. I have some more than decent networking equipment I brought from the states. Do you think Telmex might provision the MAC address for MY modem and let me setup the rest of my equipment behind it ? Is anyone using a VPN enabled router in a Telmex world ? The router they have given me to hand to the technician is a Technicolor TG582n. Has anyone burned this model with ddwrt ?

johanson / Moderator

Nov 27, 2013, 5:57 AM

Post #2 of 4 (8793 views)

Shortcut

Re: [charlie131120] Telmex - use you own equipment ?

Can't Post | Private Reply
Here along the shores of Lake Chapala, we only have copper and one is lucky to get the advertised speed. I'm one of the lucky minority who gets what I pay for

[URL=http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3128784951]

I only know one person who pays for 10 and gets 10 megs down and he lives very close to the Telmex office (DSLAM card).

I've played around with a tunnel VPN (Changing the settings in my laptop) and understand that with some of the modems supplied by Telmex , you can to enter same and change the modem settings.

I hope someone else can go into better detail than I have. I usually just stream audio and often have to hide my location when trying to stream say a football game. And sorry I know nothing about he modem you mentioned.

sparks

Nov 27, 2013, 6:34 AM

Post #3 of 4 (8785 views)

Shortcut

Re: [charlie131120] Telmex - use you own equipment ?

Years ago you used to buy the modem so I have both a non-WiFi and a WiFi 2Wire stored away. I preferred the 2Wire over the Franklin they were renting when I lived in Jocotepec so just switched them.

About 5 years ago I bought very cheap modems up north in second hand stores and they worked here. My conclusion is you can use anything here

Sparks Mexico Blog - Sparks Costalegre

stevebrtx

Nov 27, 2013, 1:10 PM

Post #4 of 4 (8749 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sparks] Telmex - use you own equipment ?

Maybe on Telmex, but on Telecable I asked and ABSOLUTELY NOT for anything but their antique Scientific (?) Atlanta Modem and they are the ones with the better speed here.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4