Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

RickS

Nov 13, 2013, 3:22 PM

Post #1 of 7 (32184 views)

Shortcut

Directions to TIP Permit Station in Nuevo Laredo and Piedras Negras

Can't Post | Private Reply
 After about 115 miles coming up the cuota 85 from Monterrey, and as you start getting into N.V., the cuota will end and 85 will be a 4-lane divided road. Watch for green overhead hiway signs noting the route going right to "Blvd. Luis Donaldo Colosio, Puente Internacial II" (Bridge II). There will be a lateral to the right that one must get into after this sign and approaching Donaldo Colosio. You will turn/veer right at this intersection.... the sign there will say Luis D. Colosio/ Puente Int. II

This 4-lane will take you, in about 6-7 miles, around to the border crossing. You will sooner or later see the Rio Grande River on your right as you approach the bridge. IF YOU HAVE TO STOP AND TURN IN A VEHICLE TIP OR OTHERWISE DO IMMIGRATION WORK, USE THE FOLLOWING INSTRUCTIONS. IF NOT JUMP DOWN PAST THIS INFO:

Prior to the bridge you will come to a signal light where you must get on a 2-lane lateral (Cesar L de Lara) which will start running right along the right side of Colosio. Also at that signal light you will see the first of the blue signs saying "Modulo CIITEV". They will point you down this lateral. You will stay on this 2-way lateral for 'several hundred yards'. It will actually go under the Bridge. Just as/after you go under the bridge you will see a large, long building to the left behind chain link fencing and another blue CIITEV sign directing you into the parking lot of this building. Drive up to the building and then 'down to the right' adjacent to the building to an obvious 'hut' where the agent will be cancelling car permits. There may/will be a line of several/many cars depending on your timing/luck. Once you reach the agent, the process is: 1) give her/him the ORIGINAL paperwork for your TIP... the sheet that the sticker was once adhered to, 2) she will match the VIN# on your car with the VIN# on the paperwork, 3) enter info into a computer, 4) take some pictures of the VIN# sticker, 5) tell you to pull off the sticker on the inside of your windshield, and than 6) print you out a receipt for the cancellation of the TIP. Keep this receipt forever! It's your proof that you did follow the law and take your car out of Mexico. If you also need to stamp your visa or whatever one has to do with an "Residente Temporal, Permanente or Tourist Card" when exiting Mexico, circle back to the main entrance of the building in that same parking lot and go in to an Immigration window. IF one is wanting to actually "Surrender/Cancel" their Mexican visa, one must go to the INM offices under Bridge I. To get there, just exit the parking lot at Bridge II and continue 'west' on the lateral you were on (before turning into this parking lot). After you pass under the roadway to Bridge #1 there is an exit to the left taking you into a parking lot. The INM offices are in the building next to the parking lot and it is marked on the door. Once inside take the first door to the right, also marked, and they will sign you in to process your 'surrender/cancel' request.

Once all is taken care of at either place, retrace you route back on the 2-lane lateral to the first place you can turn onto Coloso, then do a sharp right/U-Turn back onto Donaldo Colosio. You'll quickly come to a toll booth (Colosio is a toll) and after that, the bridge into the US and US Customs lanes.

CONTINUE HERE IF NOT DOING IMMIGRATION WORK OR TURNING IN A TIP:

Continue on Donaldo Colosio and you will come to the bridge where 1) Mexico will want a small toll fee for being on Colosio, and the 2) you'll drive into one of the many US Customs car lines to enter the USA.

While the directions above might sound complicated, it is actually pretty easy. I have just tried to be detailed in my description to make it somewhat foolproof.

(This post was edited by RickS on Nov 11, 2016, 2:21 PM)

cinlo

Nov 24, 2013, 10:55 AM

Post #2 of 7 (32043 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Directions to TIP Permit Station in Nuevo Laredo

Do you have similar directions for Eagle Pass?

RickS

Nov 24, 2013, 11:39 AM

Post #3 of 7 (32038 views)

Shortcut

Re: [cinlo] Directions to TIP Permit Station in Piedras Negras/Eagle Pass

Yes, Piedras Negras (Eagle Pass) is VERY easy....

Coming north up Highway 57 from Monclova, then Sabinas one should take the cuota just north of Sabinas towards Piedras Negras (do not take the free road in this area!). Just as the (short) cuota ends and within eye-sight there will be a Aduana/Military stop (red light/green light if coming from the other way). Northbound traffic does not stop but must slow down; IMMEDIATELY after going through this 'stop', turn left into the parking lot for Customs and Aduana. This is in the vicinity of the town of Allende for reference.

In that lot there will be a little 'hut' where one will have their temporary car permit, TIP, cancelled. As is the case everywhere one must have the ORIGINAL copy that the sticker came on in order to do the cancellation. There may be one or two cars waiting but I have never had more than one... often none.

Once done (3 minutes?), one can park and go into the building there to do any INM visa work one might need to to (turn in your tourist visa, get your FMM paperwork etc.)

Once done there, back out onto 57 and continue north to Piedras Negras. As you approach Piedras, 57 will intersect Hiway 2 (signal light). Continue straight on 57 on a 4-lane divided boulevard. In about 10? blocks you will come to an intersection with Boulevard Centenario.... this right turn will/should be marked as going to the International Bridge II. Follow this east for about a mile and then turn north onto Libramiento Sur which will take you right to the border crossing going into Eagle Pass.

(This post was edited by RickS on May 20, 2014, 8:20 AM)

clausont

Jun 3, 2014, 1:24 PM

Post #4 of 7 (30000 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Directions to TIP Permit Station in Piedras Negras/Eagle Pass

Thanks Rick - we just copied these directions so we can use them when w cross at Eagle Pass.

NorthAmericanTraveler

Dec 22, 2015, 7:53 AM

Post #5 of 7 (16244 views)

Shortcut

Re: [clausont] Directions to TIP Permit Station in Piedras Negras/Eagle Pass

About 14 miles northwest of Nuevo Laredo on MX 2 there is another place to cross the border. A friend of mine told me that the Colombia International Bridge is a very easy place to cross. This crossing also has an INM and a Banjercito (located in the same building) that you can get you're tourist card and car permit at. You can also cancel these permits at this border crossing. On the Texas side you can access this crossing by either taking TX 255 (toll road) or FM 1472. Personally if I was ever driving to or from Monterrey I would use Colombia before I would use Int'l #2.

RickS

Dec 22, 2015, 7:59 AM

Post #6 of 7 (16241 views)

Shortcut

Re: [NorthAmericanTraveler] Directions to TIP Permit Station in Piedras Negras/Eagle Pass

But be aware that it does not have 24-hour service......

NorthAmericanTraveler

Jan 7, 2016, 6:56 PM

Post #7 of 7 (15815 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Directions to TIP Permit Station in Piedras Negras/Eagle Pass

True. The Colombia Int'l Bridge and its Banjercito are only open 8 AM to 12 AM (midnight) every day. The waits are very short at this crossing however, especially if you are heading north into the US. The free 7 day FMM cards are available at Colombia. They are not available at Allende, although a friend tells me that you can get the free ones at the Eagle Pass Int'l 2 Bridge.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4