Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Gulf of Mexico

mazbeach

Nov 24, 2013, 7:49 AM

Post #1 of 13 (13384 views)

Shortcut

Drivers' Licenses in Xalapa

Can't Post | Private Reply
My wife and I are considering a move from the west coast of Mexico to the eastern mountains in the vicinity of Xalapa. Unfortunately, my Spanish is, at best, only so-so and I can see a problem coming when I have to get a new Veracruz license. This question may appear to be off the wall, but is there by chance an English version available for someone taking the exam? I seem to do well enough in day-to-day Spanish encounters, but government offices always throw me a curve. Even more so government documents.

I would welcome any response; positive or negative. Internet searches haven't yielded anything for me unless there's something I'm missing.

gracias y saludos

mazbeach

joaquinx

Nov 24, 2013, 8:45 AM

Post #2 of 13 (13370 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mazbeach] Drivers' Licenses in Xalapa

In Reply To
My wife and I are considering a move from the west coast of Mexico to the eastern mountains in the vicinity of Xalapa. Unfortunately, my Spanish is, at best, only so-so and I can see a problem coming when I have to get a new Veracruz license. This question may appear to be off the wall, but is there by chance an English version available for someone taking the exam? I seem to do well enough in day-to-day Spanish encounters, but government offices always throw me a curve. Even more so government documents.

I would welcome any response; positive or negative. Internet searches haven't yielded anything for me unless there's something I'm missing.

gracias y saludos

mazbeach

Take it at Plaza Animas. At least you'll have parking. There is no written test and if you wear glasses, there is no vision test. You'll need your passport, your visa, electric/water bill for proof of address, and CURP (original form). Around 900 pesos and good for three years.
_______
My desire to be well-informed is currently at odds with my desire to remain sane.

mazbeach

Nov 24, 2013, 2:02 PM

Post #3 of 13 (13346 views)

Shortcut

Re: [joaquinx] Drivers' Licenses in Xalapa

John

Amazing! It sounds more like a renewal than a new driver's license. This is for a new license? I have my Sinaloa license and was expecting to have to go through pretty much the same thing as here to get one there. Certainly made my day. Thanks much.

mazbeach

joaquinx

Nov 24, 2013, 2:08 PM

Post #4 of 13 (13342 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mazbeach] Drivers' Licenses in Xalapa

In Reply To
John

Amazing! It sounds more like a renewal than a new driver's license. This is for a new license? I have my Sinaloa license and was expecting to have to go through pretty much the same thing as here to get one there. Certainly made my day. Thanks much.

mazbeach

Yep, a new one. Got mine last year.
_______
My desire to be well-informed is currently at odds with my desire to remain sane.

Willie

Dec 16, 2013, 7:20 PM

Post #5 of 13 (13127 views)

Shortcut

I live in Xalapa and went to the transito offices behind the Teatro del Estado. They told me that the license would be good for only six months and that I would have to pay 500 pesos for each renewal! I have a Residente Temporal. What is your visa status?

joaquinx

Dec 16, 2013, 7:44 PM

Post #6 of 13 (13124 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Willie] Drivers' Licenses in Xalapa

In Reply To
I live in Xalapa and went to the transito offices behind the Teatro del Estado. They told me that the license would be good for only six months and that I would have to pay 500 pesos for each renewal! I have a Residente Temporal. What is your visa status?

That's what it is for a Temporal. I have a Permanente. Mine was 900 for three years. I got mine on my old FM-2.
_______

(This post was edited by joaquinx on Dec 16, 2013, 7:46 PM)

Willie

Dec 16, 2013, 7:51 PM

Post #7 of 13 (13116 views)

Shortcut

Thanks for your help.
Have you--or do you know anyone who has--had experience nationalizing/permanently importing a US-plated car with the aduana in the port of Veracruz? I have a year to do so before I move to Residente Permanente. I went to Veracruz today, and the guy at aduana told me to go to the customs agents' association, which could only supply me with a list of agents but couldn't tell me which one specialized in importing autos.

joaquinx

Dec 17, 2013, 4:41 AM

Post #8 of 13 (13097 views)

Shortcut

I know of someone who just got their Permenante and owned a US plated truck. I'll ask him. I bought a car here.
_______

joaquinx

Dec 17, 2013, 6:31 AM

Post #9 of 13 (13085 views)

Shortcut

I just heard from the guy with the truck and a Permenante. He drove that truck back to the US and left it there.
_______

Willie

Dec 17, 2013, 6:45 AM

Post #10 of 13 (13076 views)

Shortcut

Thanks for following up. I like my car and would like to keep it here if possible. I've had a few frustrating experiences here, and this is one of the worst. Can't believe this has to be so complicated and mysterious. Why wouldn't the government want to make this easy and collect the import taxes and annual registration fees? I have paid nothing to have my car here for the past three years. I'd gladly pay some money to fix a few baches in Xalapa.

Rolly

Dec 17, 2013, 8:29 AM

Post #11 of 13 (13070 views)

Shortcut

The answer is simple -- the government is pressured by the Mexican car dealers to keep out foreign cars.

Rolly Pirate

Willie

Dec 17, 2013, 8:56 AM

Post #12 of 13 (13060 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Drivers' Licenses in Xalapa

Yeah, I knew that, Rolly, but sometimes I revert to my native US logic. Have you read the article about Mexican car manufacturers producing less-safe cars (fewer airbags or none, lesser brakes) for domestic consumption and charging more for them than the price of the safer versions sold abroad?

joaquinx

Dec 17, 2013, 9:30 AM

Post #13 of 13 (13055 views)

Shortcut

Maybe not 'less safe', but US cars are safer. Prices of Mexican cars include the IVA of 15% or 16%, while US prices don't include taxes, delivery, etc.
_______

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4