Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Southern Mexico

rockydog85251

Nov 23, 2013, 10:37 AM

Post #1 of 7 (4456 views)

Shortcut

Getting out of Dodge?!? Maybe......

Can't Post | Private Reply
We are very interested in anyone's personal experience of seasonal living in Tuxtla Gutierrez or San Cristobal for the months of June thru maybe Oct.......including accommodations that we might expect that would accept 3 small dogs plus a cat. We have never traveled to that part of Mexico and are quite interested in it. We are a "mature", non-smoking couple originally from the Pacific NW but have lived full time in Mx for over 12 years.
Thanks in advance for any hints, suggestions, forum sites, etc.
Willie

chinagringo

Nov 23, 2013, 11:02 AM

Post #2 of 7 (4443 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rockydog85251] Getting out of Dodge?!? Maybe......

Willie:

While we have never been to either, we do have friends with a second home in San Cristobal. From what I have been told, a good part or maybe even all of the June to October period is the rainy season. Landslides and road washouts apparently are quite common that time of year and the dampness can be a bit much. Maybe you miss that from the Pacific Northwest but we never wish to experience the weather we had on the Oregon Coast again in this lifetime!
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

rockydog85251

Nov 23, 2013, 3:08 PM

Post #3 of 7 (4421 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] Getting out of Dodge?!? Maybe......

Neil, we agree about the weather in the PNW & I have to practically hog-tie my husband to get him up to see family!
We don't mind the humidity too much as we too have it here in Mazatlan during the same rainy season but the heat combined with that will make a mad dog insane!!! So the reason for looking around. Thx for your input.
Willie

chinagringo

Nov 23, 2013, 5:34 PM

Post #4 of 7 (4397 views)

Shortcut

Six years of living in India during "monsoon season" started my anti-rain and anti-humidity adjustments to my body. After nine years in New Mexico and 300+ days of sunshine per year with very low humidity, I know where my body needs to be for comfort.

Chiapas is definitely on our "bucket list" but I have been educated to only consider going there at a certain time of the year and we haven't connected yet.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

citlali

Nov 23, 2013, 8:00 PM

Post #5 of 7 (4378 views)

Shortcut

Tuxtla and San Cristobal could not be more different from each other, one is hot and humid and the other cold and wet so I am not sure what you are looking for One is a colonial city the other a non descript new town. One is the the capital and government center the other is a backwater place very touristy with a lot of indigenous living there.
It all depends what you like but usually people like one or the other and do not like both.

(This post was edited by citlali on Nov 23, 2013, 8:04 PM)

rockydog85251

Nov 23, 2013, 9:09 PM

Post #6 of 7 (4369 views)

Shortcut

Re: [citlali] Getting out of Dodge?!? Maybe......

Oh my! Are you all in San Cristobal now or Ajijic? We DO prefer the older style living but do not like cold any more and since this would be a summer visit of several months, we were thinking it might be comfortable in San Cristobal. Our major concern there would be finding an affordable place that would accommodate our quadrupeds....preferably a single level house with garden. We have never been to either place....the photos of Tuxtla did not impress me but then we are aware that photos don't always tell the whole story. We've heard that SC is quite a bit more expensive for rents than TG...true?
We are not dependent on an expat community for survival although an occasional encounter is always a pleasure.
Thx for any advice/guidance!!
Willie

citlali

Nov 24, 2013, 3:19 PM

Post #7 of 7 (4324 views)

Shortcut

We spend the winter in San Cristobal as we do not mind cold or cool and take trips from there anyways and we leave when the rains come mid May.

Comitan has a warmer climate than San Cristobal and way cooler than Tuxtla so you may want to check it out.

Unfurnished rentals have no problems with pets. There are owners that accept pets in short term furnished rentals but I would think that if you have several pets it may be a little more tricky. Sorry I cannot help you on that. We do not bring our pets with us as we do not enjoy walking around town with them and we have a patio house down there. They are much better off staying with the house sitter in Ajijic. We also take a lot of trips when we are down there and I do not see us finding hotels with 5 dogs or putting them in a kennel.
The best way to find rentals that are not expensive is word to mouth or walking the streets.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4