Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

twelveoaks

Nov 15, 2013, 5:40 AM

Post #1 of 16 (6836 views)

Shortcut

What ID is required to board a luxury bus within Mexico?

Can't Post | Private Reply
My wife and I are taking the ETN bus from Tonala to Zihuatanejo this weekend. I am wondering if we will need ID to board the bus. We have notarized copies of our visas and would prefer to not carry the originals. We also have current US driver's licenses. If you have ridden a bus within Mexico recently could you please advise as to necessary ID ?

esperanza

Nov 15, 2013, 7:03 AM

Post #2 of 16 (6814 views)

Shortcut

Re: [twelveoaks] What ID is required to board a luxury bus within Mexico?

You do not need ID to board the bus. Just your ticket.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

sioux4noff

Nov 15, 2013, 6:33 PM

Post #3 of 16 (6763 views)

Shortcut

I've been asked for ID for the bus. I may have used a copy of my passport.

playaboy

Nov 15, 2013, 10:02 PM

Post #4 of 16 (6744 views)

Shortcut

I have taken the bus from Reynosa to Monterrey several times in the last couple of months. I have been asked for my passport and visa by INM at the 20K checkpoint. Once we were stopped by the Army and asked for ID.

I guess it all depends on where in the country you are.

esperanza

Nov 16, 2013, 7:03 AM

Post #5 of 16 (6720 views)

Shortcut

Re: [playaboy] What ID is required to board a luxury bus within Mexico?

The OP asked if he and his wife needed ID to board the ETN bus--I believe he was comparing boarding the bus with boarding an airplane. You do NOT need to show ID to board the bus.

Of course you need to bring ID along on your trip.

playaboy

Nov 16, 2013, 7:36 AM

Post #6 of 16 (6710 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] What ID is required to board a luxury bus within Mexico?

The OP also wanted to know of peoples RECENT experiences. This is my RECENT, actual experience. In Reynosa, you have to show ID to purchase a ticket. In Reynosa you will show ID to board a bus.

esperanza

Nov 16, 2013, 6:56 PM

Post #7 of 16 (6656 views)

Shortcut

I regularly buy ETN tickets in Mexico City, Morelia, and Guadalajara. I bought a ticket in Mexico City on October 28 and another in Morelia on November 3. I have purchased tickets in both Mexico City and Morelia approximately twice a month during the entire year 2013. I last purchased a ticket in Mexico City going to Guadalajara in late 2012, and I purchased my return ticket in Guadalajara to return to Mexico City.

Because I use the INAPAM discount, I am required to show my INAPAM card every time I make a ticket purchase. I am never asked for other ID. This has been the standard for purchasing since...gosh, since I got my INAPAM card quite a few years ago.

At no time and in no city have I been required to show anything other than my ticket at the time of boarding the bus.

(This post was edited by esperanza on Nov 16, 2013, 6:56 PM)

chinagringo

Nov 16, 2013, 7:23 PM

Post #8 of 16 (6648 views)

Shortcut

So does that mean it never happens?
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

esperanza

Nov 17, 2013, 7:21 AM

Post #9 of 16 (6612 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] What ID is required to board a luxury bus within Mexico?

It means it has never happened to me. I have no experience of other people's experiences, nor did I claim to know anyone else's experience.

(This post was edited by esperanza on Nov 17, 2013, 7:22 AM)

Aaron+

Nov 17, 2013, 8:58 AM

Post #10 of 16 (6602 views)

Shortcut

The border zone is a special case as foreigners typically need to show ID prior to entering Mexico proper from the border zone. Anyhow, one should always have a current official photo ID with one or a certified copy of same. While I have never been carded (other than for an INAPAM discounted purchases with an INAPAM card) between Mérida and Cancun and Mérida to Campeche or D.F., it could happen if the police or military decide to stop your bus and check the passengers. Even in that case, foreigners including me have not been asked for ID, with the inspectors content with checking for suspicious luggage (one time that included a canine inspector).

JuanCha

Dec 8, 2013, 4:05 PM

Post #11 of 16 (6215 views)

Shortcut

I usually agree with and take heed of Esperanza's well-informed posts (and she does limit this post to her own experience, not necessarily that of others).

MY experience as a USA citizen on an FMM visa, has often and recently been that I am usually asked to show original I.D. to buy a bus ticket AND sometimes to board the bus also - at various cities within Mexico. In DF, they also often video all the passengers prior to departure. At some of the many inspection points along longer bus routes, the inspector boarding the bus can and sometimes does ask for I.D. also.
JuanCha de: Santa Fe NM, San Cristobal de Las Casas Chiapas, San Diego CA

rvgringo

Dec 9, 2013, 8:56 AM

Post #12 of 16 (6160 views)

Shortcut

Re: [JuanCha] What ID is required to board a luxury bus within Mexico?

Note that INM requires that you have your immigration document with you at all times. It is the best ID you can have in Mexico; either FMM, Residente Temporal or Permanente, etc.

robt65

Dec 11, 2013, 3:38 AM

Post #13 of 16 (6081 views)

Shortcut

Let's see . . . . . my INAPAM card has my legal name, my current address, a photo, a fingerprint, my signature, my date of birth, as well as my wife's name and telephone number on it (as a source as to where he can be "found"). . . . . . . and since you show it to purchase your ticket the same as Playaboy, I believe this IS considered a valid ID . . . .. at least it is accepted as such in the highly restricted SAT offices in Querétaro to log in and out at the time of your visit. Two years ago I was required to show both my ticket and my ID as I boarded the ETN bus from the station to San Juan del Rio. It was the bus driver that requested this as persons were boarding. It did seem to be a haphazard thing as others were boarding other busses and were not being asked to do so.
Like anything else in Mexico . . . . .the only thing for sure, . . . . . . . . is that nothing is for sure.

Regards,
Robt65

(This post was edited by robt65 on Dec 11, 2013, 3:44 AM)

Aaron+

Dec 11, 2013, 9:46 AM

Post #14 of 16 (6057 views)

Shortcut

Re: [robt65] What ID is required to board a luxury bus within Mexico?

Robert65, sure, the bus company will accept your INAPAM ID. Rvgringo is right on the money that your best ID in-country, short of hauling around your US passport with Mexican entry stamp, is your INM card, residente temporal or permanente (if you are more than on a tourist status). (For Mexican citizens: a valid IFE card.) Buses are at times subject to be legally stopped and searched at times by Mexican law officials or military, who could ask for your ID, and would be satisfied with the INM card, not sure about an INAPAM card!

I carry a very slightly reduced two-sided copy within plastic of my INM card. I would not use it to cross a border or get on a plane, that is, would not subject it to INM inspection, but it is almost sure to pass inspection otherwise (as at my bank). (I do not carry the original within Mexico as getting a replacement from INM in case of theft or wear is a hassle.)

robt65

Dec 11, 2013, 10:57 AM

Post #15 of 16 (6048 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Aaron+] What ID is required to board a luxury bus within Mexico?

Hello Aaron+,

Sure, I couldn't agree with you more about the best ID to have handy. You hit it on the head. What I was trying to point out is that when esperanza said she only provided her "INIPAM ID" she didn't have to show any other ID. Tongue in cheek is what I was using to show just how complete the information is on the INAPAM ID as it was readily accepted for the second time this week to gain access to the high offices at SAT in C.D. Querétaro. As it was the first ID I grabbed out of my pocket, I used it without question. I had others, but that one was readily accepted. For me personally, I think I would rather use the INAPAM ID anyway, than getting caught with a photocopied Federal Immigration Card ID. Just saying, my preference.
Regards,
Robt65

playaboy

Dec 12, 2013, 7:21 AM

Post #16 of 16 (6012 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rvgringo] What ID is required to board a luxury bus within Mexico?

In Reply To
Note that INM requires that you have your immigration document with you at all times. It is the best ID you can have in Mexico; either FMM, Residente Temporal or Permanente, etc.

I have been running around all over Mexico for the last 10 years. I always carry my passport and visa. That is what is required and it is the best ID to have.

The only time I don't carry my passport is when I am around home.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4