Forums  > Areas > Central Highlands

waltw

Oct 31, 2013, 7:22 PM

Post #1 of 13 (7522 views)

Shortcut

Moving to Mexico Soon. Trying to Decide Where

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hello,

We're looking to spend a year in Mexico. We are a family of four with two teenagers. We all speak Spanish and have spent a few years off and on in Oaxaca, where my wife's from. We're thinking about settling in a different area of Mexico this time and the following are on our list:

Morelia

Queretero

San Miguel de Allende

Guanajuato

Our main concern is finding a city that's interesting, dynamic, and will keep my kids both culturally, musically, and intellectually engaged. I know asking for advice like this is pretty subjective, but would like input from anyone that's spent time or has lived in these cities to comment on perhaps the pros and cons of each location.

Thanks!

DavidHF

Nov 1, 2013, 6:15 AM

Post #2 of 13 (7483 views)

Shortcut

Re: [waltw] Moving to Mexico Soon. Trying to Decide Where

SMA is "Gringolandia," I'd take it off the list. The others are all good choices.

RickS

Nov 1, 2013, 7:02 AM

Post #3 of 13 (7476 views)

Shortcut

I wouldn't be so quick to take San Miguel off your list. I've visited before (2 years ago for 2 months) and found it 'alive'. I am back now for 5-6 weeks (been here 2+) and am even more intrigued. And it's not the gringo version that I am looking at so much as the 'Mexican' side.

Now I don't speak Spanish so I'm missing a great deal (this would be the case anywhere) but I do have eyes. And what I'm seeing is a lot of 'life'.... the Mexican life. There is definitely life here in addition to the gringo side. I've always hear that SMA is a destination for the Mexico City crowd.... coming up on the weekends. But what I am seeing is more than a weekend crowd. Business people, Europeans, younger people... 30-somethings, teenagers on school tours seeking out gringos to 'interview' and learn about 'the other worlds'. Vibrant... smart. And the crowds don't necessarily look like 'tourist'. Additionally there are a great deal of 'cultural' things to do.... daily.... and they all aren't in English.

I've got another month here before I move on. Looking forward to it.

P.S. I've visited both Queretaro and Guanajuato, each briefly. Guanajuato is definitely alive and 'young' (Universities); Queretaro struck me as also being interesting..... clean and seemingly up-and-coming. Morelia has somehow escaped me but is on my list for this year.

Good luck with your search.

(This post was edited by RickS on Nov 1, 2013, 11:43 AM)

halfmexi

Nov 2, 2013, 11:10 AM

Post #4 of 13 (7404 views)

Shortcut

San Miguel and Queretaro could pose problem for your teens... my 19 year old stepson has been attacked alone and with friends for no other reason than "You are walking on our turf" mentality. Kids are very bored, jobless and the drugs pushed on teens by narco juniors trying to get the new kids hooked. Probably happens everywhere now in Mexico teens culture, I know it does here in Manzanillo lately too - can't overprotect your kids, but things are getting worse for teens and unless you have kids you don't know it exists. Just a heads up from somebody who has had many direct experiences unfortunately the past 3 years.

Tourist towns may be safer......

VOTE MAYAN ...For A New Tomorrow!

rockydog85251

Nov 3, 2013, 1:39 PM

Post #5 of 13 (7325 views)

Shortcut

Re: [halfmexi] Moving to Mexico Soon. Trying to Decide Where

Check out Mazatlan before it becomes the next SMA on the water.....lots to do, although the summers can be miserable!!!
Willie

RickS

Nov 3, 2013, 6:23 PM

Post #6 of 13 (7306 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rockydog85251] Moving to Mexico Soon. Trying to Decide Where

Mazatlan..... SMA ???

Isn't that sort of like, "I knew Ronald Reagan..... Senator, you are no Ronald Reagan"!

rockydog85251

Nov 3, 2013, 6:29 PM

Post #7 of 13 (7303 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Moving to Mexico Soon. Trying to Decide Where

Didn't say it would happen tomorrow........ But things are achangin' here! When was the last time you were through here?
Come by soon.
Willie

RickS

Nov 3, 2013, 6:33 PM

Post #8 of 13 (7300 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rockydog85251] Moving to Mexico Soon. Trying to Decide Where

Apparently not lately enough..... ;>)

chinagringo

Nov 3, 2013, 6:39 PM

Post #9 of 13 (7297 views)

Shortcut

You indicate spending a year - how about renting a home for 1 to 3 months in each area you feel might be of interest? It is only natural that residents of various areas might tout their particular area since that is the choice they made. But the fact remains that you have to satisfy yourself and your family!
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

waltw

Nov 4, 2013, 5:37 AM

Post #10 of 13 (7272 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] Moving to Mexico Soon. Trying to Decide Where

Thanks for all of the replies,

Spending 1-3 months in each location is a nice idea, but we won't be homeschooling our kids, so we'll need to find a permanent spot sooner than that. We may do a mini-version of what you suggest, if we wait until summer to come.

esperanza

Nov 4, 2013, 5:52 AM

Post #11 of 13 (7267 views)

Shortcut

You and your family would love Morelia, a cultured, beautiful small city with a small expatriate community. If you decide to investigate further, be certain that you familiarize yourselves with both sides of the coin: the beauty and the enormous problems that exist in Michoacán. If you want more on-the-ground information, PM me.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

tashby

Nov 5, 2013, 5:30 PM

Post #12 of 13 (7193 views)

Shortcut

You have an excellent list there. I have only spent about 10 days in Queretaro, but have passed larger chunks of time in all the other cities. (I have never lived in any of them, unless you count two months consecutive in Morelia.) They are all very much alive "culturally, musically, and intellectually". But based on only those three criteria, I would put San Miguel de Allende at the bottom of the list, though I like the place well enough.

Having said that, I don't have kids, and I don't know what it's like to raise teenagers. You may want to consider some other criteria as filters to help narrow it down.

Lastly, sometimes context is important. If you're moving here from Manhattan.....that's a different measuring stick than if you're moving from, well, fill in the blank. Like Hackensack, or whatever. So it depends.

Again, it's an excellent list. Good luck.

(This post was edited by tashby on Nov 5, 2013, 5:31 PM)

Sonia Diaz

Feb 4, 2014, 5:46 PM

Post #13 of 13 (6498 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Moving to Mexico Soon. Trying to Decide Where

Agreed.

And consider Cuernavaca.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sonia/252211011634302

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4