Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

tony

Oct 27, 2013, 8:12 AM

Post #1 of 20 (8394 views)

Shortcut

Visiting the US in a Mexican Car

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hi
I (US National) am considering buying my first car in Mexico. I would to know how hard it will be to make my
biyearly visits back into California in my Mexican registered car. Does anyone have experience
with this? I also plan to bring back items on my return. Your comments will be appreciated.

Regards, Tony

"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are."

YucaLandia

Oct 27, 2013, 8:30 AM

Post #2 of 20 (8376 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tony] Visiting the US in a Mexican Car

You can drive your Mexican-plated car in the USA for up to a year. Requirements: Most US states require auto insurance protection.
Happy Trails,
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

esperanza

Oct 27, 2013, 10:02 AM

Post #3 of 20 (8348 views)

Shortcut

Re: [YucaLandia] Visiting the US in a Mexican Car

Short-term insurance for the USA for your Mexican-plated car will either be included in the policy sold to you by your Mexican insurance agent OR you can purchase short-term insurance just prior to crossing the border at Nuevo Laredo, Reynosa, or other common border crossings. There are small insurance stores along the highways as you near the border.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

gringolandia

Oct 31, 2013, 3:59 AM

Post #4 of 20 (8248 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Visiting the US in a Mexican Car

Can't Post |
Please note that you cannot buy collision coverage....only coverage for damages to the other car/ property etc.

Gri-lango

Nov 5, 2013, 10:27 AM

Post #5 of 20 (8085 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tony] Visiting the US in a Mexican Car

No problema, we have been driving our Mexico plated car to the US every year for the Holidays. As stated above just make sure you have the minimum insurance required for the States you will be driving in.

Irishincolumbus

Dec 2, 2013, 5:06 PM

Post #6 of 20 (7968 views)

Shortcut

Re: [YucaLandia] Visiting the US in a Mexican Car

What paperwork is needed and is it regarded as a temp import ?

Cheers , James

Aaron+

Dec 4, 2013, 7:42 AM

Post #7 of 20 (7876 views)

Shortcut

Re: [gringolandia] Visiting the US in a Mexican Car

In Reply To
Please note that you cannot buy collision coverage....only coverage for damages to the other car/ property etc.

If you have a credit card from the U.S. or Canada, such cards usually cover collision coverage if you have declined the rental firm-offered CDW. Check out the important differences in coverage among types of cards at http://www.creditcards.com/...ctions-vary-1273.php , a write up from May 2013.

I do not have a Mexican credit card, so do not know what collision coverage they provide.

Please note that you are likely to need to cover damages on turning in the rental car, and that the credit card coverage may take a year or so to recoup your payments. The website I cite has a comment about an AmEx card holder´s year long attempt, finally successful, to obtain the "guaranteed" payment.

sparks

Dec 4, 2013, 9:12 AM

Post #8 of 20 (7854 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Visiting the US in a Mexican Car

Longer term insurance like 6-7 months for a Mexican car owned by a Permanente holding snowbird?

Sparks Mexico Blog - Sparks Costalegre

chinagringo

Dec 4, 2013, 10:01 AM

Post #9 of 20 (7836 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Aaron+] Visiting the US in a Mexican Car

Good luck declining rental car insurance at most agencies in Mexico and telling them that your credit card covers damages! While they might allow you to do so, you will find that their demanded up front deposits can be as much as the full retail value of the vehicle. Not sure about the rest of Mexico but I have discussed this with every major agency in Guadalajara and only found one willing to accept out AMEX Premium Rental Car Insurance in lieu of their coverages or a major deposit. I have also discovered that many of the agencies haven't changed their liability limits to comply with the new State mandated minimum liability limits.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

hunteradvisor

Dec 5, 2013, 6:30 AM

Post #10 of 20 (7771 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Aaron+] Visiting the US in a Mexican Car

I spent hours researching this last month and found in super fine print under each major rental car agency "third party insurances not accepted". I have Am Ex platinum and called to speak with them also. My $4.95 a day car was $40 a day with the required insurances, no way around it!
Isabel
www.RanchoSolyMar.com

chinagringo

Dec 5, 2013, 9:22 AM

Post #11 of 20 (7742 views)

Shortcut

Re: [hunteradvisor] Visiting the US in a Mexican Car

Actually, the are two very separate issues with rental car insurance in Mexico:

Liability Insurance
The Government of Mexico requires all rental car agencies to provide Basic Laibility Insurance included in the daily rate. However, the required limits are so low, all the agencies require one to purchase Supplemental Liability Insurance (SLI) to raise the coverage up to acceptable limits. Depending on agency, these limits may or may not be in compliance with the new minimum limits recently set by the individual Mexican States. To my knowledge, none of the credit card coverages cover liability!

Collision, Theft, Personal Property, Personal Injury, Etc.
Many of the credit card insurances cover the above mentioned but Mexican agencies typically do not recognize these coverages. If one insists that they are covered through their credit cards and choose to decline these coverages - then the agencies will demand a credit card deposit that can be as much as the full value of a given vehicle. For example, I had one company (FOX) who demanded a $400,000MXN deposit. Most agencies offer the above stated coverages ala carte and they can add up in a hurry.

Personal Experiences

ALAMO - One rental we did with them, I opted for their Alamo Protection Plus Insurance Package which includes: CDW-TP, PLI, PAI, CDWEP & DP at a cost of $35USD/day. This was before the new liability limits were established and I just assumed that I was fully covered. When planning a trip back in September, I contacted Alamo International directly attempting to find out just what the coverage limits were - good luck with that concept! No less than six phone calls up to the supervisor level and numerous promises made and I never received the requested info.

PAYLESS - We did a two week rental a couple of years ago and while we did have to agree to the Supplemental Liability Insurance, they agreed to accept our AMEX Premium Rental Car Policy in lieu of the other coverages and never charged a deposit of any sort. We thought we were set with an agency that we could deal with but they closed their office in Guadalajara. Since I am in the process of planning another trip, I just checked and they have opened a new office in downtown Guadalajara but I haven't called to check if their policies remain the same.

S&S AUTO - Lake Chapala
A number of years back, we rented from them and they had a straightforward rate of $55USD/day including all insurance and I had planned on having the AMEX Policy as a backup. It was only after renting the vehicle that I found out they no longer accepted credit cards and we had to pay by cash or check.

The other day I ran across the fact that Volaris was now offering rental cars on their website. Out of curiosity, I checked their rates and noticed that they were offering rental car insurance through ALLIANZ at a fairly reasonable rate of around $10USD/day. I wouldn't blindly take this offer until I actually taked to the involved agency to see exactly what the coverages are and if they do accept them.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

(This post was edited by chinagringo on Dec 5, 2013, 9:29 AM)

hunteradvisor

Dec 6, 2013, 11:23 AM

Post #12 of 20 (7701 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] Visiting the US in a Mexican Car

I found Alianz was considered a third party insurer and is not accepted by many of the major car rental companies.
Good Luck!
Isabel
www.RanchoSolyMar.com

chinagringo

Dec 6, 2013, 12:10 PM

Post #13 of 20 (7689 views)

Shortcut

Re: [hunteradvisor] Visiting the US in a Mexican Car

Isabel:

I have emailed the new Payless agency in Guadalajara to see if they still honor the AMEX Premium Policy for all but the required SLI. As soon as we have firmed up our travel dates, I plan to make phone calls relative to Volaris offering the Alianz insurance through their site. Even if Volaris tells me that it is all OK, I will be in direct contact with the actual agency to confirm.

I hate playing the game this way but I refuse to have surprises when I go to pick up the car and more important - I want to make sure we have adequate coverage.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

at7mbe

Dec 15, 2013, 7:09 PM

Post #14 of 20 (7599 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] Visiting the US in a Mexican Car

Going back to the OP's question about driving a Mex-plated car in the US, and ignoring the rental car issues, here's what I did last summer with our Mex-plated car.

1. The car is insured in Mexico with ANA Seguros.
2. Comprehensive, collision and theft coverage are included for Mexico, the US, and Canada without any time restrictions as part of the standard policy.
3. ANA's liability coverage is for Mexico only. However, they include a US$100K liability policy from National Unity Insurance of Texas, good for up to 28 days as a "tourist" in the US. To qualify, you must be a Mexican citizen or full-time resident of Mexico. Speaking to the National Unity representative "Marta", this doesn't mean having "Residente Permanente" status, but rather that:
a. you have a Mexican driver's license, and
b. you don't have a US residence, and
c. you are making "tourist" type visits to the US.
4. I wanted a US$300K liability policy in the US. I was able to purchase a 28-day US$200K National Unity liability add-on from www.segurogringo.com. It's called "Extensión 200" and cost US$37.
5. Our stay in the US was for a total of 41 days, so while in the US, I purchased a 13-day US$300K National Unity liability policy to cover us for day 29 to day 41. Cost of this policy was US$56, also purchased from www.segurogringo.com.
6. Before doing this, I contacted many US-based insurance companies. None of them were willing to insure a Mex-plated car.
7. The following caveats appear on the various National Unity policies in my file:
a. There is no coverage hereunder for vehicles principally garaged in the United States of America.
b. No coverage provided in Mexico.
c. No coverage for commercial vehicles.
d. No coverage for drivers under 21 or drivers over 75 years of age unless specifically listed and additional premiums paid.
8. Policies include roadside assistance: towing, vehicle fluid delivery, battery jump start, flat tire assistance, and lock-out service.

Since I didn't have any incidents while in the US, I can't vouch for how responsive National Unity is as a company, and please don't take this as an endorsement. It was the ONLY solution I could find for my particular needs. If someone finds other ways to have liability in the US for a Mex-plated vehicle, please add to this thread. As I mentioned earlier, I didn't need to find comprehensive, collision and theft coverage in the US because it was included in our normal policy.

I thought we might be hassled by US police because of our Michoacán plates, but that didn't happen. Crossing at Eagle Pass, the US border agent asked about the plates. When I said we lived in Mexico, that was the end of the conversation and he passed us through.

-- Mark

mexicodave

Mar 20, 2018, 8:45 AM

Post #15 of 20 (4952 views)

Shortcut

Re: [at7mbe] Visiting the US in a Mexican Car

I plan to cross the border with a mexican plated car, I am a permanent resident of mexico, do I have to stop on the mexican side and fill out a visa form where upon they give the lower part of the form back to me for when I return?

Also I plan to be in the states for 6 months touring prior to returning to mexico

i read that each state has a separate law for foreign plated cars and the federal law is you can be in the US for up to 1 year.

any info would appreciated tks

at7mbe

Mar 20, 2018, 10:09 AM

Post #16 of 20 (4947 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mexicodave] Visiting the US in a Mexican Car

You're supposed to fill out the FMM form as you leave, but you have it backwards. They keep the bottom, and the top part of the form is for when you return.

HOWEVER, generally my experience is that the clerk in the immigration office at the border has no clue about this. The last time I did this, in August, 2017 in Ciudad Acuña, I had to point out that she filled out the form incorrectly. She called over a supervisor who did it again, and then told me not to bother anymore. These forms, supposedly for statistical purposes only, are mandatory when leaving the country by air. For land crossings, the supervisor said they absolutely don't care about them, and not to stop in the future. Given the confusion of the clerk, it seems clear to me that most people don't stop.

I've never had a problem with my Mexican plated car in Texas, New Mexico or Colorado, the only states I visit. As discussed previously, I always have valid US insurance and the policy form in English with me to show the local constabulary should I get stopped.

-- Mark

rvgringo

Mar 20, 2018, 11:02 AM

Post #17 of 20 (4946 views)

Shortcut

As Residente Permanente, with a Mexican car, just drive on to the US border station. When you return, jut drive back down, having your RP card and vehicle papers with you. Simple, unless you have stuff to declare at Aduana. Remember to have liability insurance for the car, while in the USA. We never found any problems with our Jalisco plates, and local fuzz have no way to know how long you have been in the USA. The only problem might arise if you appear to have “taken up residence“, where a local authority may require you to either register you vehicle locally (you cannot) or move on. In that case, you had better move on, as they might target you and/or your vehicle, which will always be watched, as you will be assumed, by some, to be making drug deliveries. We had that chat with some DEA types, who were frustrated that they could not “run“ our plates on their computers. They are not generally bright bulbs and can be officious, but are generally harmless if unchallenged.

mexicodave

Mar 22, 2018, 8:16 AM

Post #18 of 20 (4923 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rvgringo] Visiting the US in a Mexican Car

tks for the info

I am going north in may 2018 for 6 months so your answer gives me comfort

One other issue I have a US plated truck I drove down in 2006, so it is probably in the computer but I do not drive the truck it is just sitting in my garage.

I hope that would not be an issue returning to Mexico after the 6 months in the US?

What do you think?

rvgringo

Mar 22, 2018, 8:30 AM

Post #19 of 20 (4921 views)

Shortcut

Since you are Residente Permanente, your US truck is in Mexico illegally, as you know. Since you have no reason to stop at either INM or Banjercito, exiting or entering, you should not expect that information to pop up. Simply keep that truck safely locked up; maybe even disabled to prevent easy theft, and get a Retorno Seguro when you are ready to take it out of Mexico. We did that with our US plated SUV for a couple of years & only drove our Jalisco plated car.
The obvious caveat is that the US plated truck represents a risk to you, if it were to be stolen and then discovered, or discovered in some other way. It violates the conditions of your visa. If you own property, that risk is even higher, although still probably remote.

mexicodave

Mar 23, 2018, 6:32 AM

Post #20 of 20 (4906 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rvgringo] Visiting the US in a Mexican Car

great thanks for your quick reply

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4