Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

FrancesK

Oct 24, 2013, 9:41 AM

Post #1 of 14 (19220 views)

Shortcut

Banjercito online application for TIP

Can't Post | Private Reply
Wondering if anyone can help me or if anyone has recent experience with the Banjercito on-line process to request a Temporary Import Sticker ahead of time?
I've been trying this morning to apply for a TIP through the Banjercito website and have not been able to complete the process. I went to the Banjercito website https://www.banjercito.com.mx/registroVehiculos/ selected the language English, (I tried all 3 languages English, Spanish and French with the same results) then selected "Car Permit". Then got a page telling Important Information before you start. It tells you to get an Electronic pre-authorization number from INM, I went online to INM and completed this and have the pre-authorization number. Then Banjercito site gives some info on how much it costs etc and then you start filling in your name on Paso 1, on Paso 2 it asks for address, email, PP info, DOB, when you plan to cross into Mexico, then I pressed Next and... it loops back to the very beginning asking that I select language, the Car permit etc. so I cannot get the application done. I would like to have this sticker ahead of time if possible.
I also tried with a different PC, pop ups are not blocked, I'm using IE 8 and 9.
Does anyone know if I'm doing something incorrectly or if their site just doesn't work?
Thanks!

RickS

Oct 24, 2013, 5:03 PM

Post #2 of 14 (19186 views)

Shortcut

Re: [fkilburn] Banjercito online application for TIP

I used the site about a month ago, same 'story' as you told and it worked OK. I was using Firefox but using IE should not be the issue. I have used this site 'over the years' and sometimes it just would not work for me (and others). Give it a day or two and try again.

Also, when you give it the date you are going to cross, be sure you are using the 'Mexican' way of entering the date.... not mm/dd/yyyy but dd/mm/yyyy. Also I would look 'everywhere' to see if there is some sort of error message that is hiding in a not so conspicuous place.

FrancesK

Oct 25, 2013, 6:10 AM

Post #3 of 14 (19155 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Banjercito online application for TIP

Just tried again, same thing, so, I'll keep checking periodically and hope it goes through on one of my attempts. thanks for your reply and suggestions.

los arboles resident

Oct 25, 2013, 8:52 AM

Post #4 of 14 (19129 views)

Shortcut

I would like to try this web site also probably in late December.
When you apply for immigration pre-authorization, is that the 180 day tourist card you are applying for?
Also can my wife also apply for hers if its a tourist card as she is listed on the vehicle registration as co-owner.
Thanks for any or all replies.

RickS

Oct 25, 2013, 9:37 AM

Post #5 of 14 (19124 views)

Shortcut

Re: [los arboles resident] Banjercito online application for TIP

No, the pre-authorization is just for the temporary vehicle permit. It gives one a code that is then used to complete the TIP process. One can only get the 180 tourist card at the border from IMN.

FrancesK

Oct 26, 2013, 9:56 AM

Post #6 of 14 (19079 views)

Shortcut

Re: [FrancesK] Banjercito online application for TIP

Got the application finished today. I at first thought that the site didn't like Canadian postal codes which are a 6 letter/number combination but that wasn't it because the Zip Code field accepts only 5 until you change your country to Canada.
I did however make one change and whether or not this was the cause of my problem I cannot say for sure... the city that I live in has an apostrophe in it, this time I omitted the apostrophe and my application went through.
I guess thats it for now, I'll just wait for the sticker to arrive!

RickS

Oct 26, 2013, 1:25 PM

Post #7 of 14 (19063 views)

Shortcut

I got my last one within 2 business days via DHL (in the US). Be sure you attend to the last requirement and that is to scan/email the documents that their email requested (you can wait until you get to the border or destination, but one of the reasons for doing this online is to not have to do it at the border).

I crossed into Mexico at Piedras Negras.... the IMN guy there (very nice) questioned me about getting a car permit. I said I had already done it online. He was puzzled. When I came back to him after paying Banjercito he asked again.... didn't want me to forget. Nothing would do but for me to walk him out to my car and show him the sticker and paperwork. He was just not aware that one could get it online.

FrancesK

Oct 30, 2013, 9:38 AM

Post #8 of 14 (18966 views)

Shortcut

The Sticker and a letter that must be signed arrived in 2 days via DHL. Quick!
My husband signed the letter (as he is the importer) and I emailed the scanned copies of the Passport, Vehicle and trailer registration and receieved a confirmation email shortly after. The procedure seems to run smoothly, other than my initial problems with the website.
Does Banjercito need to do a check of the vehicle or do we just afix the sticker to the windshield and drive on? We are planning to cross at Nuevo Laredo.

FrancesK

Oct 30, 2013, 9:42 AM

Post #9 of 14 (18965 views)

Shortcut

I should have mentioned that both the sticker and the bond have been paid for as we had to provide credit card details during the application process.

RickS

Oct 30, 2013, 10:31 AM

Post #10 of 14 (18959 views)

Shortcut

"Does Banjercito need to do a check of the vehicle or do we just affix the sticker to the windshield and drive on?"

Affix it and drive on!

Don't loose that ORIGINAL document to which the sticker is attached. You'll have to have it when you cross back out and cancel the permit (AND get your deposit back).

pollywolly

Nov 3, 2013, 12:31 PM

Post #11 of 14 (18879 views)

Shortcut

I am confused. We have done the paperwork on line and have the sticker. You said that we could drive on. We are driving down from Austin and usually cross at Colombia since it is less crowded. Most times they have stamped our passport, sometimes not. So, you are saying that we no longer need to do this???

Somehow, I got lost the last time in Nuevo Laredo looking for immigration. If we don't need to stop, is it a straight shot and well marked through there to the highway?? We will have just returned late Monday evening from a long plane ride and are leaving out of Austin at 4 AM on Tuesday to make Matehuala by mid-afternoon so my powers of navigation may be a bit off.

Really appreciate the info over the years. Thanks.

Polly Johnson
Austin

RickS

Nov 3, 2013, 12:47 PM

Post #12 of 14 (18876 views)

Shortcut

Re: [pollywolly] Banjercito online application for TIP

Polly, the above discussion was about a temporary car permit, TIP. Sorry I may have confused you by saying 'drive on'. You have secured yours via online as I did. BUT, one still has to stop at the "border" and, unless you already have an FM2 or FM3 or RT, get a tourist card for 180 days. And, yes, have the official stamp your Passport.

So one does have to stop and get a visa but that is a short stop compared to having to get the TIP there also.

Hopefully this clears things up for you.....

pollywolly

Nov 3, 2013, 12:53 PM

Post #13 of 14 (18873 views)

Shortcut

We figured that was the case. Thanks so much.
PJ

los arboles resident

Jan 3, 2014, 5:33 PM

Post #14 of 14 (18008 views)

Shortcut

Re: [pollywolly] Banjercito online application for TIP

Applied for my TIP Jan 1/14 after 2pm, sticker came Jan 3/13 at 2pm via DHL.
Great performance from on their process. Won't hesitate to promote their web site.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4