Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

lizzers

Oct 23, 2013, 1:54 PM

Post #1 of 11 (3852 views)

Shortcut

Driving DF to Tijuana via 15

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hey all,

As it turns out my car with CA plates became illegal when I became a Residente Permanente and I now have to drive back to the States. I did the drive down several years ago and had no problems. I wanted to see if anyone has done the Guadalajara to Nogales route recently and if they had any security issues or run ins.

Thanks in advance!

RickS

Oct 23, 2013, 3:58 PM

Post #2 of 11 (3835 views)

Shortcut

Re: [lizzers] Driving DF to Tijuana via 15

You will need to acquire a Retorno Seguro, Safe Return, document from SAT. This government document will give you a 'get out of Dodge' card.... gives you 5 business days to get the vehicle out of Mexico. One should still turn in their TIP at the border.

There has been evidence that the document works with the 'police' on the Guadalajara to the Nuevo Laredo border run.

(This post was edited by RickS on Oct 23, 2013, 4:01 PM)

onebusyman

Oct 25, 2013, 9:00 AM

Post #3 of 11 (3780 views)

Shortcut

Last week I completed a round trip from Puerto Vallarta to Nogales then Tucson/Phoenix, catching 15 at Tepic and driving cuota all the way north...and back again 4 days later. I stayed in Mazatlan and Hermosillo both directions. No problems at all, no delays.....just the usual construction but all was well marked and easy to move back and forth between the lanes. No unusual police activity that I noticed. Tolls were about $1,500 pesos each way. I love the drive through vast valleys with the mountains in the distance, shades a grey against the blue sky. The desert holds its own unique charm, again, with those mountains in the distance. The drive was long for me but breaking it up into three days this time made it easier. A driving partner would have been nice too. I put 2,500 miles on the truck for the trip....and used way more gas than I even want to add up. Have a safe trip and enjoy....Dave

lizzers

Oct 25, 2013, 9:24 AM

Post #4 of 11 (3773 views)

Shortcut

Re: [onebusyman] Driving DF to Tijuana via 15

Thanks to both of you for your replies...it really is a pretty drive! Glad to hear that you both had good experiences.

chicois8

Oct 27, 2013, 3:20 PM

Post #5 of 11 (3708 views)

Shortcut

I am driving that route now, only problem was about 35 miles north of Obregon there was some kind of protest with 18 wheelers blocking entrance and exit form some small town....they soon moved a truck so passenger cars could pass, do not know if it's a 1 day thing or not.....road is good with some detours because of rebuilding bridges, no problems though.....
Rincon de Guayabitos,Nayarit
San Mateo, California

(This post was edited by chicois8 on Oct 27, 2013, 3:22 PM)

chinagringo

Oct 27, 2013, 4:37 PM

Post #6 of 11 (3700 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chicois8] Driving DF to Tijuana via 15

FYI: that protest has been going on for a number of months as the Yaquis are upset over a water rights issue. In the early stages they only opened the blockade a few hours per day but my understanding is that they cut private cars/vehicles slack but the commercial rigs are restricted.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

lizzers

Oct 27, 2013, 4:53 PM

Post #7 of 11 (3693 views)

Shortcut

Chicois8, thanks for the heads up about the blockade! Safe travels!

chicois8

Oct 27, 2013, 7:32 PM

Post #8 of 11 (3679 views)

Shortcut

lizzers, tomorrow I'll report the run to Mazatlan.......

chinagringo, I thought the blockade was closer to Navojoa.......
San Mateo, California

chinagringo

Oct 27, 2013, 7:50 PM

Post #9 of 11 (3676 views)

Shortcut

Actually, the blockade is at Vicam:

https://maps.google.com/...xico&t=m&z=9

This is between Guaymas snd Ciuadad Obregon and that is all that I know, Friends have been through there recently without problems.

Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

chicois8

Oct 27, 2013, 8:00 PM

Post #10 of 11 (3675 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] Driving DF to Tijuana via 15

Yes that the town, I usually pick up a liter of orange juice at one of the many topes when I return home..
San Mateo, California

chicois8

Oct 28, 2013, 6:18 PM

Post #11 of 11 (3644 views)

Shortcut

Traveled Navojoa to San Blas today,no road problems.......
San Mateo, California

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4