Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

Nekiuk

Oct 19, 2013, 10:45 AM

Post #1 of 7 (3473 views)

Shortcut

driving a borrowed car to Guatemala

Can't Post | Private Reply

Some visiting friends want to borrow my car to drive to Guatemala (and back, obviously). Does anyone know if that takes special paperwork, and what kind? Many thanks! Carla

Anonimo

Oct 19, 2013, 11:09 AM

Post #2 of 7 (3470 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Nekiuk] driving a borrowed car to Guatemala

More details would be very helpful in order to answer your question.

Where is the car registered and plated?

Where is the vehicle now? Where are you?

If you are in Mexico, what is your migratory status/category of visa?

Will you auto insurance policy cover loaning the car? Best check with the insurer.

Saludos,
Anonimo

Nekiuk

Oct 19, 2013, 1:57 PM

Post #3 of 7 (3442 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Anonimo] driving a borrowed car to Guatemala

Ah, sorry! OK

I haven't even bought the car yet, but I'm in the process. It is in Bacalar, Q Roo, where I live, and also plated in Q Roo. I am a temporary resident. I don't know about the insurance, but will check - I assume I can expand the coverage if it isn't already included.

citlali

Oct 20, 2013, 7:42 AM

Post #4 of 7 (3386 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Nekiuk] driving a borrowed car to Guatemala

The insurrance will not be incuded so you will have to buy insurrance. Good luck
We live in Chiapas and we do not rive o Guatemala, there is lenty of public transportation and tourist transportation. Guatemala is not particularly safe, there is a lot of car theft so why risk your brand new car? For what?
Last January we went Palenque, Tikal Livingstone Honduras Guatemala city Antigua lake Atitlan back to Mesilla all by poblic transportation and did not take a chance with our car. Plenty of people drive there but to us it is not worth it.

JuanCha

Oct 25, 2013, 10:59 AM

Post #5 of 7 (3261 views)

Shortcut

Re: [citlali] driving a borrowed car to Guatemala

Agree with Citlali - there is little reason to drive to or in Guatemala (been there numerous times) and many reasons to NOT drive there: main roads are treacherous and often eroded away, dangerous topes/speed-bumps, gas stations few and far between, not at all safe at night, frequent detours due to road damage and construction, lousy road signage, less friendly than Mexico, etc etc. Public transport (vans, buses, tour buses, etc) is cheaper, safer and faster - and readily available. I would not let anyone ever drive my vehicle there; but it is your call.
JuanCha de: Santa Fe NM, San Cristobal de Las Casas Chiapas, San Diego CA

CozICan

Oct 25, 2013, 12:01 PM

Post #6 of 7 (3248 views)

Shortcut

Re: [citlali] driving a borrowed car to Guatemala

I was once told that you can not buy car insurance to drive in Guatemala... Can anyone confirm this or tell me for sure otherwise.

Thanks,

CozICan

citlali

Oct 26, 2013, 6:40 AM

Post #7 of 7 (3210 views)

Shortcut

Re: [CozICan] driving a borrowed car to Guatemala

Check with the insurrance company you get your Mexican insurrance from.
I second Junacha I sure would not lend my brand new car to anyone to go to Guatemal or any foreign country for that matter.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4