Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region

Tiber3

Oct 18, 2013, 4:49 PM

Post #1 of 6 (2763 views)

Shortcut

Bank Account Opening

Can't Post | Private Reply
I read some of the older about bank accounts. Is it possible to open a Mexican bank account without having an address there and what type of documentation would be required?
Do they take fingerprints (I read something about that as well).

Chapala Payaso

Oct 18, 2013, 6:42 PM

Post #2 of 6 (2743 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Tiber3] Bank Account Opening

When I recently opened bank account with Bancomer no finger prints were taken. It was for a brief time due to the need to cash a check. However, at least for me, I found it easier to have a Banamex USA account (800-222-1234) which is affiliated with the Mexican bank, Banamex. It is located in the USA in the Los Angeles area and an account can be opened via phone etc. It is a FDIC safe bank, like all USA banks. They give you a ATM card which can be used at any bank but if you use it at a Banamex bank or ATM there are no service charges. You can get all the details about their services at the above phone number.

(This post was edited by Chapala Payaso on Oct 18, 2013, 6:44 PM)

Chapala Payaso

Oct 19, 2013, 7:59 AM

Post #3 of 6 (2689 views)

Shortcut

I see that I did not answer your question. I don't know since I had all of that stuff when opening an account at Bancomer. Perhaps you could get that information from their web site. Sorry.

tashby

Oct 19, 2013, 4:53 PM

Post #4 of 6 (2653 views)

Shortcut

I just opened a Mexican bank account in Jalisco and had to provide proof of my Mexican address (and this was with an institution with whom I had already had an investment account for five years....with the same address).

salto_jorge

Oct 25, 2013, 8:34 AM

Post #5 of 6 (2489 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tashby] Bank Account Opening

I just tried to open a Banamex USA account over the phone.
The new accounts rep indicated that one had to reside in their service area and that it can only be done in the office in person now.
Service area mentioned: Los Angles, San Antonio, Houston etc, so Southern Calif and Texas locations.

Chapala Payaso

Oct 25, 2013, 9:42 AM

Post #6 of 6 (2471 views)

Shortcut

Re: [salto_jorge] Bank Account Opening

Sorry about the misinformation. Just had a friend open one about 6 months ago from here in Ajijic. Odd.

Just called them and this situation will probably be reversed in a couple months allowing the opening of an account over the phone. Might give them a call then.

(This post was edited by Chapala Payaso on Oct 25, 2013, 9:54 AM)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4