Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

CozumelComplete

Oct 17, 2013, 6:53 AM

Post #76 of 79 (1058 views)

Shortcut

Re: [citlali] Problems for Divorced and Widowed Females wanting Citizenship!

Can't Post | Private Reply
Citali, When they approved it in your maiden name, did you have to change any of your other documents first? Or did they just take it from your BC with your other things still in your legal name?
Patricia A Holt
Cozumel The Complete Guide II

citlali

Oct 17, 2013, 7:35 AM

Post #77 of 79 (1037 views)

Shortcut

Re: [CozumelComplete] Problems for Divorced and Widowed Females wanting Citizenship!

I am French so my situation is a little different as French women never change their birth names either. We use our husbands names, but our official papers like passports are made in our birth name plus spouse of husband´s name.
The issue for me was that the husbands name is affixed on all French papers as a mention"epouse husband´s name" and I had no papers showing my birthname without that mention not even my birth certificate which was altered after I got married. I had to get an affidavit from the consulate that my name was as the name in the birth certificate without my husband´s name.

When I went Inmigrado I insisted that they change the name I was using to my name exactly like my passport read which was a fight but I am glad I did as later on the affidavit covered everything.

American women have a differnt problem since the name of the husband is their legal name.. If I were you I would go to SRE and ask them what they will accept down the road and change whatever (if you can) if that is what you want to do. You can also wait and see, SRE is going to run into a ot of women who have problems so they could change their policies and go back to accepting the married name or continue to refuse recognizing the husband´s name...

All my American papers are in my husband´s name..but I did not go there since I used my French papers.

If you are willing to change things you have to make sure that all your papers agree with your birth certificate, after that you can elect one of the options they offer but the husband´s name only is not an option.

Aaron+

Oct 17, 2013, 12:40 PM

Post #78 of 79 (997 views)

Shortcut

Re: [citlali] Problems for Divorced and Widowed Females wanting Citizenship!

A French citizen poster assumes that, in the U.S.A., a married woman's legal name is their husband's surname. That is a common assumption based on common practice, but not necessarily the case unless a woman has assumed her husband's surname upon marriage, and, accordingly, so updated her legal identification (such as driver's license, professional license, and a passport). While the state of Hawaii for years, and maybe until now, requires a woman to adopt the husband's surname, and the states of Michigan and Alabama require the use of the husband´s surname, as on a driver's license, that not the rule elsewhere, and may even have changed in the three states I mention.

For a 1976 review of the issue, I recommend
http://scholarship.law.marquette.edu/...239&context=mulr .

The U.S. Passport Office website uses somewhat misleading language in its webpage entitled "Change Your Name in Your U.S. Passport." It refers to the more common cases when, " Your name has been legally changed due to marriage or court order." However, if a woman has NOT legally changed her name, that is, has not voluntarily done so on marriage, then my reading is that she need not change her name from her maiden name for the purposes of a U.S. passport. However, if she wants the status of a married woman when traveling, some countries may require her to either have the passport name changed accordingly or may require proof of marriage. I believe that the NPIC website needs a note to clarify its position.

citlali

Oct 17, 2013, 3:02 PM

Post #79 of 79 (977 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Aaron+] Problems for Divorced and Widowed Females wanting Citizenship!

I do not assume anything, I got married in Alabama and I assumed my husband´s name according to the custom as a result I have different names in different countries.

I did not assume anything , the poster and I have gone back and forth and she assumed her husband´s name and happened to be ifrom the US.

I know what the rules are in the US , I know I could have kept my name, added my husband´s name to mine and so forth. The US are way more flexible when it comes to names than France or Mexico. hence the problems later..
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4