Forums  > Specific Focus > Technical Mexico

johanson / Moderator

Oct 4, 2013, 11:57 AM

Post #1 of 7 (6512 views)

Shortcut

Test message

Can't Post | Private Reply
Just checking to see if I can connect here via tunnelbear.com , a VPN

Yes, the package www.tunnelbear.com allowed me to go to a site only allowed if in the country I chose, Canada

(This post was edited by johanson on Oct 4, 2013, 12:17 PM)

Azuledos

Oct 6, 2013, 8:09 AM

Post #2 of 7 (6461 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] Test message

Thanks for the link, Pete! I downloaded the application, signed up for a free 500MB/mo "Little Bear" account. To test things I selected a purported US location from their country list, then browsed to one of the NoB TV networks (which block access to us here in Mexico). Initially I was still blocked, then I realized I had to quit chrome and start the browser up again once I was connected to the TunnelBear VPN.

The free 500MB (1.5GB if you mention them in a tweet each month) won't do much for you if you want to access much audio/video, but in a pinch otherwise geo-blocked sites are accessible. A single account will cover one PC & two portable (phone/pad) devices. This seemed much easier to use than other VPNs I've tested

Dan

================================
Veracruz has to be the best kept secret in Mexico.
http://etepetzin.blogspot.com -&- http://azuledos.blogspot.com

johanson / Moderator

Oct 6, 2013, 8:28 AM

Post #3 of 7 (6461 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Azuledos] Test message

I've known about VPNs for years but was too lazy to use one. I finally have a need when linking to a Satellite TV provider should I want to go on line and get a "re-hit" because the provider no longer accepts my Mexican location.

Why did I choose "TunnelBear.com" because that was the site that was mentioned at our LCS (Lake Chapala Society) computer club meeting. I was shocked about how easy it was.

I am looking for a VPN service that will not only choose the country, but the location; you know, like Seattle, WA or Vancouver BC. I know there are such VPNs I will have to ask at the next meeting what others at the club would recommend. Or perhaps someone reading this post would know of a good VPN I could try.

As expected when doing a speed test etc my speed dropped from about 5 to a little more than 3 Mb/s down and the upload also went down by 40% ( I don't remember the numbers) Oh, the ping went up from about 25 to 95 as well.

This will be the second time I have tried it using a US site

EDIT: The first time the IP # was near Buffalo NY, I just checked where I am this time. I'm in NY City. It's just that I would like to choose myself rather than being randomly assigned my location.

(This post was edited by johanson on Oct 6, 2013, 8:35 AM)

mazbeach

Oct 6, 2013, 5:13 PM

Post #4 of 7 (6432 views)

Shortcut

Look at StrongVPN. You chose the country, city and actual server you intend to use. They allow you to change them something like three times a month. I started with San Francisco because of its size and number of servers and have never changed. They have 24/7 support that actually works and knows their stuff. The cost is $21USD per quarter and they have all kinds of deductions for referrals. Their support for set up on Android devices is exceptional and includes detailed videos. We have one account on two PCs, one tablet and one phone. With one account you can only logon with one device at a time, but that hasn't been a problem.

johanson / Moderator

Oct 6, 2013, 5:28 PM

Post #5 of 7 (6430 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mazbeach] Test message

Thank you very much for the recommendation. Right now it would appear you are near Culiacán, Sinaloa, Mexico. So it would appear that you can turn on or off your VPN. Oh, how much I have to learn. But thank God with the techie background I gained from the past, I think I will learn very rapidly how to take advantage of VPNs etc so that I can appear to be where I would liketo pretend to be :).

Again, Thanks

Pete

mazbeach

Oct 6, 2013, 5:31 PM

Post #6 of 7 (6425 views)

Shortcut

Pretty close. I'm actually two hours south in Mazatlan. My wife struggles with anything techie, but with StrongVPN she just sails along. Certainly makes my life easier.

mazbeach

Oct 6, 2013, 5:32 PM

Post #7 of 7 (6423 views)

Shortcut

I failed to mention that they use 256AES encryption.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4