Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

bburke

Oct 1, 2013, 7:34 AM

Post #1 of 3 (3355 views)

Shortcut

Crossing in Nuevo Laredo Warning

Can't Post | Private Reply
Last week we crossed into Mexico via Nuevo Laredo around 10:30 am on our way to Puerto Vallarta and had a scary experience that we wanted to share. After clearing immigration and receiving the permit for our car we took the ring road that circles the city on our way to 85. Not 5 minutes after leaving immigration a car with Texas plates pulled up along side of us (we were in the right lane). The passenger was screaming and waving his arms. Initially we thought something was wrong with our car, but then the other car pulled slightly head of us and attempted to force us off the road. Fortunately, my partner was ready for this type of situation. He slammed on the brakes and threw the card in reverse. He quickly shifted to drive and floored it to get away. They did a u-turn when they realized we weren't easy prey.

I'm writing this just to let people know to be aware of your surroundings wherever you are. We thought something like this might happen in a more rural, less congested area, but this shows bad guys can be anywhere at anytime. I would bet most people will never encounter something like this, but it does happen. Please be safe. Fortunately, the rest of our trip to Puerto Vallarta was uneventful.

(This post was edited by RickS on Oct 1, 2013, 8:34 AM)

charlee19581

Oct 1, 2013, 10:19 AM

Post #2 of 3 (3317 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bburke] Crossing in Nuevo Laredo Warning

Thanks so much for posting that, I appreciate knowing about that since we too will be travelling that way. Thanks again.

Altahabana

Oct 2, 2013, 3:55 AM

Post #3 of 3 (3261 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bburke] Crossing in Nuevo Laredo Warning

I drive the ring road (Luis Donaldo Colosio) several times a week and the incident you described is very unusual, particularly so considering the time of day. There is usually a lot of traffic during the day. Also, the new state police force maintains a station alongside the Holiday Inn Express which is on Colosio about 5 minutes from the immigration station. If you didn't see firearms displayed you did not have an encounter with the Zetas in my opinion.

I agree that travelers need to be alert to their surroundings. But Nuevo Laredo has been very, very quiet this year. That of course could change without notice, but there is no reason to avoid crossing here.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4