Forums  > Areas > Mexico City & Surroundings

lurs83

Sep 25, 2013, 2:11 PM

Post #1 of 15 (11455 views)

Shortcut

Pet Broker Recommendation?

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hello All,

I recently relocated to DF and I am loving it so far. Next week I am flying back home to retrieve our dog. I have been told by United that I need a pet broker to get through customs. Is anyone familiar with this process and willing to give me any tips on how to make it go smoothly? Also I was provided only 3 phone numbers of pet brokers from United, one of which did not work. Does anyone have a company they would recommend getting in touch with?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Maesonna

Sep 25, 2013, 7:23 PM

Post #2 of 15 (11425 views)

Shortcut

Re: [lurs83] Pet Broker Recommendation?

Lots of people have brought their pets to Mexico without a broker. But if you are flying your dog, maybe it‘s a requirement of the airline. Having a broker isn’t a requirement of the Mexican department of agricultural health – which is the agency that regulates imports of animals (not Customs).

Here is a place to start for looking at the official requirements.

mazbeach

Sep 26, 2013, 6:19 AM

Post #3 of 15 (11406 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Maesonna] Pet Broker Recommendation?

I have to admit this is the first time I've heard of a pet broker. We have brought our dogs in and out by plane several times and have never had the need for one. So long as your paperwork is in order it's a breeze. The officials here are understanding and get you through the system with a minimum of fuss. The last time we entered with two little Chihuahuas the official saw us standing in the immigration line and walked up to us. We handed him the paperwork and by the time we finished with immigration he returned the paperwork, all stamped and signed.

AlanMexicali

Sep 26, 2013, 6:50 AM

Post #4 of 15 (11401 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mazbeach] Pet Broker Recommendation?

In Reply To
I have to admit this is the first time I've heard of a pet broker. We have brought our dogs in and out by plane several times and have never had the need for one. So long as your paperwork is in order it's a breeze. The officials here are understanding and get you through the system with a minimum of fuss. The last time we entered with two little Chihuahuas the official saw us standing in the immigration line and walked up to us. We handed him the paperwork and by the time we finished with immigration he returned the paperwork, all stamped and signed.

At the Guadalajara airport on international flights some posters on another website have had to get animal brokers and/or have had to have a vet come and clear the dog or cat on occasion lately and pay for both or one, whichever the case may be.

It was not clear if they had US or Canadian vets certificated documents within 72 hours of arriving that the animals did not have internal parasites or fleas when needing to get a vet to clear the animals. If the airline is being overly cautious I can understand that.

On another note we were boarding a bus [ETN] to Guadalajara from here this month in SLP, and 2 women had 2 pet carriers and 2 cats. I asked how much it cost to put them on the bus. They said for free, only get a tag at the checking/ticket counter and have a "Live Animal" sticker on the carriers. I then asked if they would be riding in the coach. They said no, in the baggage compartment below. First time I have heard of that.

(This post was edited by AlanMexicali on Sep 26, 2013, 6:51 AM)

AlanMexicali

Sep 26, 2013, 7:02 AM

Post #5 of 15 (11398 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
Hello All,

I recently relocated to DF and I am loving it so far. Next week I am flying back home to retrieve our dog. I have been told by United that I need a pet broker to get through customs. Is anyone familiar with this process and willing to give me any tips on how to make it go smoothly? Also I was provided only 3 phone numbers of pet brokers from United, one of which did not work. Does anyone have a company they would recommend getting in touch with?

Thanks in advance for your help!

From what I gather you only need a certified document signed by a vet where you live that states the dog does not have internal parasites or fleas and has updated rabies shots that is within 72 hours of arriving on international flights.

If they require a vet to clear the dog you pay for that and you need to call one and wait for them to arrive. It would be best to have the number of a vet and get them to agree to do this before arriving and hopefully the airline might be able to give a few names and numbers or the Agricultural Inspector at the airport can give you a name and number of one that does it if you cannot figure it out beforehand. I imagine you could expect a 3 or 4 hour wait and about a $1000.00 peso fee or more depending. I feel this would not be required if they accept your vet´s certificate, but one never knows.

(This post was edited by AlanMexicali on Sep 26, 2013, 7:05 AM)

AlanMexicali

Sep 26, 2013, 7:23 AM

Post #6 of 15 (11387 views)

Shortcut

Re: [AlanMexicali] Pet Broker Recommendation?

"Can I travel with pets?? A: On domestic flights is not allowed to travel with pets in the passenger cabin, except guide dogs, the airline must prove their quality as such.
* In the passenger cabin if you can travel with pets (dogs or cats), if your destination is international, so please check with the airline to make the appropriate arrangements also pets at all times at the airport should be in a rigid container or cage fit on the bottom of your seat.

* In the cargo cabin: If the pets you will be traveling with is about dogs and / or cats can see the link (SAGARPA-SENASICA). In the case of pets other than these, should go to the Animal Health Directorate, located at Calle Free Municipality No. 377, Col. Santa Cruz Atoyac, Del. Benito Juarez CP 03310 Mexico, DF Tels 5905-1000 ext 51037."

http://www.aicm.com.mx/movil/mpfrecuente.php

http://207.248.177.30/...amite.aspx?val=23501

After reading the above gov´t. website it appears if you have to get a broker to import the dog it will be expensive however it also appears to be for people importing dogs/animals that are not traveling with them on the airplane or are importing them for commercial sale. It really should not be required for you to import the dog if you are on the plane through a broker, especially if it is under your seat.

See above Juarez Airport link and Google Translation.

"In the case of pets other than these,... " indicates an importation is necessary, but not for pet dogs or cats traveling with you in certain cases. In other cases it might need to be imported.

(This post was edited by RickS on Sep 27, 2013, 6:48 PM)

lurs83

Sep 26, 2013, 1:18 PM

Post #7 of 15 (11340 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mazbeach] Pet Broker Recommendation?

Hi Mazbeach, when did you most recently fly with your dogs? It was my understanding that the law had changed and now Mexico requires a pet broker for getting your pet through customs. I will have all the appropriate paperwork, but my dog will not be flying in the cabin, hes a 60lb lab so he will be in cargo. I just got a quote from one company for $980. Seems outrageous to me.

mazbeach

Sep 26, 2013, 3:06 PM

Post #8 of 15 (11330 views)

Shortcut

Most recently in March, and will again in early October. Both of our Chihuahuas fly in-cabin. Never tried it with a big dog, only driving.

Maesonna

Sep 26, 2013, 3:43 PM

Post #9 of 15 (11328 views)

Shortcut

I looked at some current Mexican government websites, and according to the information posted there, Customs is not involved if you are importing two or fewer dogs or cats. Only the agricultural health inspection office is involved. Also it doesn’t mention needing a broker. Of course the website could be out of date, so it would be worth checking with the appropriate Mexican agency directly.

Now, it could be that the airline requires pet-bringing passengers to use a broker. It is not unknown for airlines to lay requirements on passengers entering Mexico that Mexican officials don’t require. For example, some airlines won’t let tourists to Mexico board without a return ticket, even though Mexican immigration officials don’t require it.

(This post was edited by Maesonna on Sep 26, 2013, 3:45 PM)

lurs83

Sep 27, 2013, 1:37 PM

Post #10 of 15 (11292 views)

Shortcut

I did end up having a friend call the airport authorities and they said it is a free service. I am going to try and risk it without a broker. Will let you know how it goes.

Maesonna

Sep 27, 2013, 6:02 PM

Post #11 of 15 (11277 views)

Shortcut

It might be worthwhile confronting the airline ahead of time. If you arrive to take your flight and they insist you need a broker because of their [unnecessary] requirement, they will not let you and Fido board and you might lose your investment in the ticket.

lurs83

Sep 28, 2013, 4:01 PM

Post #12 of 15 (11238 views)

Shortcut

Yes I actually tried to book the ticket but they wouldn't let me without all the contact information of the broker. I have a friend who is a customs broker and is going to call and see what she can find out. Hopefully she will be certified in which case she can do it and I won't have to pay the ridiculous fees.

rockydog85251

Sep 28, 2013, 7:35 PM

Post #13 of 15 (11225 views)

Shortcut

What airline are you trying to use? Is there another one you might try? I've never heard of such a thing into or out of Mazatlan.
Willie

Gri-lango

Oct 9, 2013, 2:26 PM

Post #14 of 15 (11067 views)

Shortcut

My reco, change airlines. The issue is not Mexico Aduana, it is your airline. Mexico's Aduana is very clear on what you need to provide to travel with your pets.

lurs83

Oct 10, 2013, 12:23 PM

Post #15 of 15 (11035 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gri-lango] Pet Broker Recommendation?

Well my dog finally made it here but things did not go as planned. His flight arrived 2hrs late and by the time the customs broker we had helping us realized he needed to recruit a pet broker the office closed. So after waiting for 6hrs at the airport we had to leave and were told by we'd get him out by noon the next day. So the next day the customs officials computer network went down so there was an added delay and we ended up having to pay for another vet to look give him an exam because the ones attached to his kennel went missing along the way. Very suspect. So, $617 USD later we finally got our dog back at 7pm. Because of this experience I think we will plan to drive home whenever that may be. Thanks for everyone who responded.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4