Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > General Forum

skier14

Sep 25, 2013, 5:14 AM

Post #1 of 23 (12772 views)

Shortcut

Mexican Utility Billing

Can't Post | Private Reply
I have recently received my Utility bills from CFE(Electricity) and Telmex(Telephone) and was surprised to find payment days a few days earilier than my previous dates of or just after the 1st of the month. I have always been current with payments, but being on a fixed retirement income I will have difficulty this month in paying before the first of the month as my pension is direct deposited on the 1st. A few years ago my Maxigas(Natural Gas) bill was due toward the end of the month. Now is is due around the 19th. after slowly moving a couple days earlier each month. Has anybody been able to get changes in billing dates from these companies?

sioux4noff

Sep 25, 2013, 11:00 AM

Post #2 of 23 (12710 views)

Shortcut

Re: [skier14] Mexican Utility Billing

Our CFE varies by a day or two each time it seems. I think you would have zero chance of them changing. As we pay for our gas as it's delivered, I couldn't help there at all. Our telephone bill has never varied on the due date in the 8+ years we've had service
The telephone bill, if you are late, has no reconnect fee, and you don't lose your internet right away, so you could more readily put that one off. CFE is much more of a hassle.
If they are due just after the 1st of the month, looks like you're OK this time.
I'd suggest just budgeting for it and paying when they are due. But then, that's pretty obvious. :) After all, it has to be paid one way or another.

(This post was edited by sioux4noff on Sep 25, 2013, 11:04 AM)

robt65

Sep 25, 2013, 7:25 PM

Post #3 of 23 (12650 views)

Shortcut

Hello Skier14,

I also am on a fixed 100% service connected disability fixed income. Both that and my SS come around the same time of the month. I was forever getting my bill paid late as I had no real choice. Even my (Mexican) wife said I could not get the date changed as did other good Mexican folks. but being the stubborn Irishman that I am, I thought if I took both my bank statements in as well as my pension papers from the VA for proof, I just might be able to get them to change the billing period of a week later for me. I went into the office and found the head honcho and spoke with him and explained that I do not like paying my bills late. If he cared to he could look at my payment history and see that I always paid on the same schedule every month (Tel Mex) and on my CFE bill every two months. Sure enough both utilities' came through for me and my family and were in fact happy to do so. I just had to write a letter explaining why and that was that. The very next billing cycle my bills started coming in a week later, with a week later "pay by" date. It's great. We have never been late since that time over a year ago now.

In fact now we are even getting our bills paid a month or so ahead of time. With CFE we are paying a year in advance. They are very workable in our city any way.

I also have heard that it was not possible to pay in advance on utilities, . . . . . . that (in our case) is not true. Both Telephone and CFE have been very happy to accept advance payments. Since our bills do not vary any more than a hundred pesos or so, we never had a problem. They even carried over to the following bill a credit that we had coming. So like all things Mexican, I guess it just depends on what office in which city and state you are in as to how things can work or not.

Now LP gas, as Souix4noff said is a cash only basis . . .. so we bought a larger tank and now never let it get below 45% so that even if a rough month for life's little surprises does come around the corner, we can still afford to coast a little.

Like I have come to believe and said many times to folks . . . .. the only thing for sure in Mexico . . . .. is that nothing is ever for sure!

Regards,

Robt65

(This post was edited by robt65 on Sep 25, 2013, 7:29 PM)

richmx2

Sep 25, 2013, 10:11 PM

Post #4 of 23 (12635 views)

Shortcut

Just pay them in advance on the first of the month... if you can, overpay the first few months, so if you do have an unusually high bill one month, it's not a huge hit on your limited income. I live on a Mexican salary, so have to watch every peso, too.

http://mexfiles.net
http://mexicobookpublishers.com

joaquinx

Sep 26, 2013, 6:07 AM

Post #5 of 23 (12619 views)

Shortcut

Re: [robt65] Mexican Utility Billing

Am I to understand that no one posting here has savings in their bank account to cover these expenses. What do you do when an emergency arises?
_______
My desire to be well-informed is currently at odds with my desire to remain sane.

skier14

Sep 26, 2013, 9:47 AM

Post #6 of 23 (12571 views)

Shortcut

Re: [joaquinx] Mexican Utility Billing

Not all ex-pats living in Mexico are flush with dinero. Some of us exist on a month to month basis just like many people worldwide.

joaquinx

Sep 26, 2013, 10:05 AM

Post #7 of 23 (12564 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
Not all ex-pats living in Mexico are flush with dinero. Some of us exist on a month to month basis just like many people worldwide.

With over 2,000 usd a month, they should have some savings. Maybe not 'flushed', but have a few hundred pesos to pay for utilities. You pay your rent, utilities, and food. Can that be over 2,000 usd a month?
_______
My desire to be well-informed is currently at odds with my desire to remain sane.

chicois8

Sep 26, 2013, 10:30 AM

Post #8 of 23 (12556 views)

Shortcut

Joaquinx, I have seen folks that plan for a vacation more than for retirement...

Que lastima!
Rincon de Guayabitos,Nayarit
San Mateo, California

playaboy

Sep 26, 2013, 12:32 PM

Post #9 of 23 (12536 views)

Shortcut

Different people are in different phases of their lives.

Maybe you are in your mid-80's. Maybe you have lived here for 15+ years. $2000? That $1350 month doesn't go as far as it did when you retired here 20 years ago. Your savings have slowly disappeared.

So just maybe?

sioux4noff

Sep 26, 2013, 2:04 PM

Post #10 of 23 (12519 views)

Shortcut

My question exactly, but I figured I'd just answer the question to start with.
Everyone, flush or not, should have an emergency fund. Maybe you'll get sick, maybe the car will need repair, maybe your fridge will conk out. I realize that very few people who feel they can only make it from one paycheck or pension check to the next one do that, but it's smart fiscal planning to do so, even if you start with a few pesos at a time.
As I told one of my friends, drink one less Coke a week, or smoke one pack less cigarettes, or any way you could think of to get that fund started.

(This post was edited by sioux4noff on Sep 26, 2013, 2:06 PM)

skier14

Sep 26, 2013, 4:04 PM

Post #11 of 23 (12500 views)

Shortcut

If one rereads my original post, one will find that I asked if anyone had recently noticed that the due date to pay their utility bill had been changing to an earlier date like mine have and had they had experience in getting the utility companies to change the date. Thank you Robt65

joaquinx

Sep 26, 2013, 4:08 PM

Post #12 of 23 (12497 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
If one rereads my original post, one will find that I asked if anyone had recently noticed that the due date to pay their utility bill had been changing to an earlier date like mine have and had they had experience in getting the utility companies to change the date. Thank you Robt65

One also read that you had difficulty paying it on time. Thank you very much. Elvis has left the building.
_______

robt65

Sep 26, 2013, 6:45 PM

Post #13 of 23 (12468 views)

Shortcut

Hello Skier14,

You're welcome. People can read all they want to in to what any one posts here. I certainly don't plan on discussing all my personal finances on this site to anyone. If some folks were not intelligent enough to plan for a future or if by circumstance, (which is flat out none of my business or anyone else's for that matter) had some personal mishap in their lives that is their business and not mine or anyone else's. Skier14, I wouldn't give any of the nosey persons any information and instead maybe suggest they put that energy into learning how to read a question, posted, instead of trying so hard to "read into it" something they would rather think about. For whatever reason you wish to change your billing date, my personal experience is that it can be done, at least where I live.

joaquinx, you have no earthly idea what skiers finances are and maybe he does have an emergency fund and puts a certain amount in that fund every month as I ands some others I know do and they do not want to or under certain bank agreements can not very that date or amount, and that is none of your business either, maybe someone in his or, any other persons family had a problem, and he was gracious enough to short himself a little for a month to help a family member or a friend. Who cares what, or why, his or anyone else's "emergency fund" had absolutely nothing to do with the OP's original question, try just answering the OP's original question and not being so high and mighty. Careful being on that apparently very high horse . . . . . some times a fall can occur.

I hope my answer helped you somewhat Skier 14.

Regards,

Robt65

(This post was edited by robt65 on Sep 26, 2013, 6:55 PM)

RickS

Sep 26, 2013, 8:24 PM

Post #14 of 23 (12450 views)

Shortcut

If anyone has any further information that addresses the OP's question, post away.

sioux4noff

Sep 26, 2013, 9:49 PM

Post #15 of 23 (12442 views)

Shortcut

I sometimes pay extra towards my phone bill or electric bill, the extra always has gone forward. Possibly you could kick in a little estra each bill and then when those due dates arrive before payday, you will have a good cushion on the account. Sort-of a forced savings, prepay and be ready for when the bill date comes too soon. then you'll be back on level ground for the next time.

Moisheh

Sep 29, 2013, 6:33 AM

Post #16 of 23 (12331 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sioux4noff] Mexican Utility Billing

The CFE allows your payment to be late. I have forgotten how many days they allow but it is at least a week. Telmex will make robo calls if you are behind but they do not cut you off right away. Both the CFE and Telmex will let you pay an anticipo ( pay in advance). We only spend 6 months in Mexico but pay both with an anticipo. Works for us.

Moisheh

skier14

Sep 29, 2013, 7:04 AM

Post #17 of 23 (12320 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Moisheh] Mexican Utility Billing

Thanks for the info.

sioux4noff

Sep 29, 2013, 7:21 AM

Post #18 of 23 (12313 views)

Shortcut

Do not count on those extra days! I missed paying my phone bill one time and it was off within a day or 2. No robocall.
I've known people to get cut off by CFE very quickly, and know 1 person who was away, didn't pay his bills, and 6 months later still had electricity!

Moisheh

Sep 29, 2013, 4:09 PM

Post #19 of 23 (12263 views)

Shortcut

Maybe 2 or 3 years ago the CFE would have a truck at your house within 2 days of non payment. They changed that policy .

sioux4noff

Sep 29, 2013, 10:37 PM

Post #20 of 23 (12221 views)

Shortcut

How long do they give you now? People here in Bucerias still say they disconnect quickly. Maybe it varies by office.

Moisheh

Sep 30, 2013, 3:38 AM

Post #21 of 23 (12212 views)

Shortcut

It was our local CFE office who told me about this. I think it is one week. Maybe the local offices do not know that it has changed. This is the CFE. I doubt they send out memos!

Moisheh

AlanMexicali

Sep 30, 2013, 5:12 AM

Post #22 of 23 (12204 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
It was our local CFE office who told me about this. I think it is one week. Maybe the local offices do not know that it has changed. This is the CFE. I doubt they send out memos!

Moisheh

The date is on your CFE bill they can legally cut you off. I usually get the bill delivered about 10 days before this cut off date to pay. A bill I am looking at was for service from July 13 to Aug. 13 and the limit to pay date was Aug 26. 13 days from the time the meter was read.

In practice when my power was disconnected it was always a week or a couple of days more than the limit to pay date.

"17 Deadline for payment. So you avoid the suspension of the service.

17. Fecha límite de pago. Para que evites la suspensión del servicio."

http://www.profeco.gob.mx/cfe.asp

(This post was edited by AlanMexicali on Sep 30, 2013, 5:38 AM)

surfrider

Sep 12, 2014, 10:09 AM

Post #23 of 23 (10870 views)

Shortcut

I paid my cfe bills and was ahead in payments until I got a bill two months ago. My bill was triple of what it had been previously. I was running a bill with a figure that seemed fairly even and then this new bill was way way out of my understanding. Well it seems that there was a government assistance amount being paid on my bill but because of too high a usage they stopped the assistance and charged full fee.
Well I had not planned on that amount and did not have that amount. The same month that the extremely high CFE bill came in my computer died and I had to buy a new one. Also in the same month my drive shaft on my car went out and had to be replaced. Well that took all the savings and I still did not have enough to cover the new bill with CFE, I was short. So they fined me and now I have another bill that I will not be able to pay on time and be fined for.
sometimes life just happens and that wonderful question about don´t you people have savings should be able to understand that. Maybe other people do not have a mess of emergencies happen at one time but I did.
I have a payment due on the 21st of this month and will not be able to pay it until the 1st of Oct because I have not had the time to reestablish my reserves.
Every life has a purpose and reason for being on this earth

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4