Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

LaRusa

Sep 24, 2013, 9:09 PM

Post #1 of 14 (6101 views)

Shortcut

Driving from Rosarito Beach, Baja to Zihuatanejo

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hi,

we are moving from Baja to mainland, will be driving a truck with a cargo trailer, could anyone recommend the easiest route, not the fastest, but the easiest, as little mountains and as many toll roads as possible for the route from
Rosarito Beach to Zihuatanejo.

will we have to deal with customs for our stuff in the trailer? we will not cross the border back into US, will stay on Mexico side all the time, is there any chance we will be able to avoid customs check up and duty fees?

Anyone ever had a domestic move done, using moving company, from Baja to Mainland? how much would something like this cost if we get movers in Tijuana, for example. I sent some requests, but nobody quoted me yet.

Thank you!

chicois8

Sep 24, 2013, 11:15 PM

Post #2 of 14 (6087 views)

Shortcut

Re: [LaRusa] Driving from Rosarito Beach, Baja to Zihuatanejo

I would drive up Ave.2000 to highway2 towards Tecate/Mexicali toll road, stay on 2 until Santa Ana, turn right on to Highway 15D to Tepic then take highway 200 through Puerto Vallarta, Manzanillo, to Zihuatango....easy

Just before Cordoba on 2 there will be customs/immigration offices to get your TIP ( Temp. Import Permit ) for your car and trailer, I am guessing you have an FMM or higher visa...
Rincon de Guayabitos,Nayarit
San Mateo, California

esperanza

Sep 25, 2013, 7:00 AM

Post #3 of 14 (6070 views)

Shortcut

Before you plan dates for your trip, it would be wise to make sure that all the roads (especially around Zihuatanejo) are passable. The recent hurricanes that pummeled Mexico have left some roads and bridges--including some around Zihuatanejo--in ruins. Some communities in the area are still completely incommunicado and without services of any kind.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

RickS

Sep 25, 2013, 8:17 AM

Post #4 of 14 (6056 views)

Shortcut

"Just before Cordoba on 2..."

Cordoba or Caborca?

.... and of course LaRusa (or whoever's name will be used to import the vehicle/trailer) could not have a Permanente visa as a temporary vehicle permit would not be allowed. And if you plan on 'just' having a tourist visa you would have to go back to the border WITH the trailer every 180 days to renew your visa/TIP. If you plan on updating your visa to 'Temporal' once in Zihuat you probably should make sure that can be done there... to include the trailer.

chicois8

Sep 25, 2013, 8:47 AM

Post #5 of 14 (6043 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Driving from Rosarito Beach, Baja to Zihuatanejo

Hola Rick, it is Caborca, It was a late night post for me, LOL

OP, here is the Mexican Gov. website for roads and tolls:

http://aplicaciones4.sct.gob.mx/...action=cmdEscogeRuta
San Mateo, California

(This post was edited by RickS on Sep 25, 2013, 8:48 AM)

playaboy

Sep 25, 2013, 8:48 AM

Post #6 of 14 (6041 views)

Shortcut

I moved from QRoo to Chapala. QRoo is like Baja, a free zone.

I shipped my stuff and used Estefeta. Everything went thru Aduana. They even opened a couple of the boxes. No taxes were paid. Everything arrived before I did.

In the past I have crossed out of QRoo (free zone) and into regular Mexico many times with a truck and trailer. I always had to clear the Aduana checkpoint on the southern route out. On the northern or central route out of QRoo there aren't any checkpoints. So there might be ways out of Baja and into the mainland without checkpoints.

LaRusa

Sep 25, 2013, 1:16 PM

Post #7 of 14 (6006 views)

Shortcut

Re: Driving from Rosarito Beach, Baja to Zihuatanejo

thank you chicois8,

esperanza - thanks, I will definitely do that, I hope they will fix it by the time we go

RickS - I still have FM3 or whatever the new version it will be when I renew, for now it will be 6 months deal, thanks!

playaboy - thank you! I feel better now, I would have to pay again! I dont mind checking, but to pay fees for bringing stuff into the country again would be too much..
I will for sure call Estafeta. Thanks!

(This post was edited by LaRusa on Sep 25, 2013, 1:19 PM)

chicois8

Sep 25, 2013, 1:29 PM

Post #8 of 14 (5996 views)

Shortcut

There will be a customs checkpoint past Sonoyta and the new large one near Caborca...

Why do you not want to drive in mountains?
San Mateo, California

(This post was edited by chicois8 on Sep 25, 2013, 1:36 PM)

playaboy

Sep 25, 2013, 6:32 PM

Post #9 of 14 (5968 views)

Shortcut

If you have your receipt from Aduana for bringing in your stuff the first time than you don't have to pay again. Just show that receipt even if it is an old dated one.

I believe Estafeta charges by size of box more than by weight. I packed everything in plastic totes. The fee was all close to the same regardless of weight. Ask them to be sure.

LaRusa

Sep 27, 2013, 1:57 PM

Post #10 of 14 (5911 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chicois8] Driving from Rosarito Beach, Baja to Zihuatanejo

chicois8 - I had a couple of black ice accidents in the mountains, they have changed my mountain driving for ever ))) even in subtropical climate. Thanks for the checkpoints location, I remember one past Sonoyta, but Caborca is new for me.

chicois8

Sep 27, 2013, 2:12 PM

Post #11 of 14 (5906 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
chicois8 - I had a couple of black ice accidents in the mountains, they have changed my mountain driving for ever ))) even in subtropical climate. Thanks for the checkpoints location, I remember one past Sonoyta, but Caborca is new for me.

The one before Caborca is about a year old...

The reason I asked about mountain because on another board you were advised to travel down 15D to Guadalajara then on to Ziha, my route takes basically at sea level where as the GDL route starts at sea level at Mazatlan and travels up to 5000' then back down to sea level...
San Mateo, California

RickS

Sep 27, 2013, 6:44 PM

Post #12 of 14 (5887 views)

Shortcut

"...the GDL route starts at sea level at Mazatlan and travels up to 5000' then back down to sea level..."

Although this is quite true, the elevation gain and loss is so gradual that it could hardly be categorized as mountainous driving.

chicois8

Sep 27, 2013, 7:17 PM

Post #13 of 14 (5884 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Driving from Rosarito Beach, Baja to Zihuatanejo

That may be correct but I travel the Tepic / Guadalajara route at least 10 times a year, I have seen too many 18 wheelers laying on their sides, toll booths wiped out from trucks descending too fast down the mountain and is one of the few highways in Mexico with runaway truck turnouts...
San Mateo, California

RickS

Sep 27, 2013, 7:20 PM

Post #14 of 14 (5882 views)

Shortcut

With that much travel on that route, I would surely yield to your judgement. I guess I'm just too use to driving real mountains in Colorado.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4