Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

richmx2

Aug 13, 2013, 1:15 AM

Post #26 of 121 (12992 views)

Shortcut

Re: [viktoremski] Any News on How SRE is Handling Citizenship Requests?

| Private Reply
"...Mexican passports were not welcomed in Central and Eastern Europe."

WHAAAAA???? What country is ever mad at Mexico, besides the U.S.? I'm planning a trip to the the Andean countries, and discovered a U.S. passport is something of a liability, having to pay a very high visa fee to enter Bolivia. Not that I blame the Bolivians... the U.S. Ambassador did conspire with terrorists seeking to kill their president, after all.

http://mexfiles.net
http://mexicobookpublishers.com

YucaLandia

Aug 13, 2013, 7:06 AM

Post #27 of 121 (12961 views)

Shortcut

Re: [richmx2] Which Passport to Use when Traveling: US or Mexican

| Private Reply
Maybe this an artifact of a too-long memory, but we had friends with 2 passports, who first attempted to use their Mexican passports to enter CENTRAL European countries - Czech Republic, Hungary, etc - and they were given tough times using Mexican passports, until they showed their US passports. (France and Germany are not Central European countries as proposed above.)

Maybe this understanding is an artifact from conditions 5 - 10 years ago. Maybe Mexican passports are now welcome in CENTRAL Europe and Eastern Europe?? My knowledge may be out of date on this item.

There is still the fact that Mexico does not have as many visa-free easy-travel arrangements with other countries, as the USA has negotiated. Other countries do require prior visa approvals from Mexicans, versus US citizens.
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

(This post was edited by YucaLandia on Aug 13, 2013, 10:04 AM)

AlanMexicali

Aug 13, 2013, 8:45 AM

Post #28 of 121 (12926 views)

Shortcut

Re: [YucaLandia] Which Passport to Use when Traveling: US or Mexican

| Private Reply

In Reply To
Maybe this an artifact of a too-long memory, but we had friends with 2 passports, who first attempted to use their Mexican passports to CENTRAL European countries - Czech Republic, Hungary, etc - and they were given tough times using Mexican passports, until they showed their US passports.

Maybe this is an artifact from conditions 5 - 10 years ago. Maybe Mexican passports are now welcome in CENTRAL Europe and Eastern Europe?? My knowledge may be out of date on this item.

There is still the fact that Mexico does not have as many visa-free travel arrangements with other countries, as the USA has negotiated. Other countries do require prior visa approvals from Mexicans, versus US citizens.
steve

For my Mexican National wife to go on vacation with me to my home country of Canada she has to pay $75.00 Cnd. for a visa to enter now. SHEEEESH!

"Starting between September and December 2013, citizens from 29 countries and 1 territory will need to give biometrics (fingerprints and photograph) when they apply for a visa.

You can choose to apply online or through a paper application. If you need assistance, you can get help with your application at your nearest visa application centre (VAC).

* Apply online

* Apply on paper

* 1. Get the application package

* 2. Pay your application fees
The application fee per person is $150 for a multiple entry visa, $75 for a single entry visa or $400 for a family (multiple or single entry). In most countries, application fees must be paid in Canadian dollars.

Check the website of your nearest visa office for more information on fees, including how to pay them."

(This post was edited by AlanMexicali on Aug 13, 2013, 8:51 AM)

citlali

Aug 13, 2013, 10:01 PM

Post #29 of 121 (12830 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Anonimo] Any News on How SRE is Handling Citizenship Requests?

| Private Reply
Sorry if you are over 60 , there is no test at least not in Guadalajara. It really does not matter what you want. You can look at the questions they may ask you and they are all pretty easy anyways, it does not take a whole lot of knowledge to pass it.

Bennie García

Aug 14, 2013, 6:00 AM

Post #30 of 121 (12810 views)

Shortcut

Re: [YucaLandia] Which Passport to Use when Traveling: US or Mexican

| Private Reply

In Reply To
Maybe this an artifact of a too-long memory, but we had friends with 2 passports, who first attempted to use their Mexican passports to enter CENTRAL European countries - Czech Republic, Hungary, etc - and they were given tough times using Mexican passports, until they showed their US passports. (France and Germany are not Central European countries as proposed above.)

Maybe this understanding is an artifact from conditions 5 - 10 years ago. Maybe Mexican passports are now welcome in CENTRAL Europe and Eastern Europe?? My knowledge may be out of date on this item.

There is still the fact that Mexico does not have as many visa-free easy-travel arrangements with other countries, as the USA has negotiated. Other countries do require prior visa approvals from Mexicans, versus US citizens.
steve

We visited the Czech Republic last year and didn't even have to go through an immigration nor customs check.

YucaLandia

Aug 14, 2013, 6:18 AM

Post #31 of 121 (12809 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bennie García] Which Passport to Use when Traveling: US or Mexican

| Private Reply
Hooray !

Now we have to get Canadian and US expats to start efforts to get the Canadian & US govts. to lower their requirements to meet Mexico's liberal immigration policies. *grin*
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

citlali

Aug 14, 2013, 8:20 AM

Post #32 of 121 (12786 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bennie García] Which Passport to Use when Traveling: US or Mexican

| Private Reply
Many cenral European countries changed their policies whe they became part of the EU.

careyeroslib

Aug 14, 2013, 11:58 AM

Post #33 of 121 (12743 views)

Shortcut

Re: [careyeroslib] Any News on How SRE is Handling Citizenship Requests?

| Private Reply
I just wanted to add that I received a private message (another board) from a helpful person who is currently applying for citizenship and is kindly sharing their experience. Apparently SRE is not giving credit for FM3/No inmigrante residency as part of the residency time required prior to applying for citizenship, only FM2/Inmigrante or Inmigrado (presumably now Residente Permanente).

Don´t know if you can apply with 4.5 years (in the case of those applying on the basis of residency) whether it must be 5 years now that Residente Permanente cards don´t expire as the old FM2/Inmigrante cards did.

(This post was edited by careyeroslib on Aug 14, 2013, 12:06 PM)

John Shrall

Aug 17, 2013, 8:23 AM

Post #34 of 121 (12634 views)

Shortcut

Re: [La Isla] Any News on How SRE is Handling Citizenship Requests?

| Private Reply
We met with the lawyer yesterday for the first time. While it might be possible to wade through this jungle solo we think it's worth the price to have someone with knowledge of the process guide us through. It won't be cheap but it will bring some peace of mind. We pay half of his fee when everything is ready and make application and the rest only if and when we receive the voting card and Mexican passport.

The 3 big things he addressed was time in Mexico on FM2. Since we had a full 5 years there would not be a problem but he too was a little unsure how time on FM2 and permanente would be treated toward this requirement.

The second thing was showing under 180 days out of Mexico during the last 2 years. I had travel records already due to plans for inmigrado status so that part wasn't too hard. I had to scan all pages of our passports, our permanente card and CURP card. I was able to locate all the exit entrance stamps for the last 2 years and with that he'll prepare a document as part of our application.

Names. Birth certificate must match passport must match the current immigration card. Exactly. The lawyer will prepare an affidavit for my wife submitting that she is the same person from her birth certificate to passport. Everything else matches except last name so he didn't expect any problems. My birth certificate contains a Jr. designation as I have the same name as my father. I never used it in any legal documents so he'll prepare another affidavit for that.

The certified birth certificates must be apostilled. I'm still waiting on the apostille from the State of Texas and when received we'll present both to him to be translated into Spanish.

We'll go to Guadalajara to sign power of attorney and get the Jalisco criminal check completed. He says that he has been using another person in Guadalajara that also works in DF to take the documents to Mexico City for the national criminal check. This will save a trip to Mexico City.

There is no test after age 60 and he described the Spanish part of the process as one where you have a regular conversation with someone in the SRE office. He tested both of us around the kitchen table and said we'd have no problems. It was his opinion that at least in Guadalajara, it didn't make any difference if a lawyer was present.

Once all the papers are ready we'll present ourselves in Guadalajara and at that time if everything required is OK'd, we get the form for payment. The cost was about $4,000 pesos. Go to the bank, bring back the receipt with copies and then begin the 6-9 month wait.

The status of the application is available online so you can at least track where your paperwork is during this wait period.

I'll probably have more specific details as we actually start doing something beyond gathering information.

citlali

Aug 17, 2013, 9:50 AM

Post #35 of 121 (12606 views)

Shortcut

Re: [John Shrall] Any News on How SRE is Handling Citizenship Requests?

| Private Reply
Interesting that he has to go to Guadalajara to get the state records which are available for a minimal fee right by the market in Chapala. It is a 10 minute process.

I found out that the big hang up was the names. I had to get a letter from my consulate that I was the same person as in my birth certificate, it is called a constancia. It will be interesting to hear if an affidavit works.They are incredibely thorough about the names matching.

(This post was edited by citlali on Aug 17, 2013, 9:59 AM)

John Shrall

Aug 17, 2013, 9:57 AM

Post #36 of 121 (12600 views)

Shortcut

Re: [citlali] Any News on How SRE is Handling Citizenship Requests?

| Private Reply
I may be wrong and if so I'll find out in a few weeks.

It was my understanding that this trip to Guadalajara would accomplish at least 3 different things, one of which is acquiring the state records. If these records can be picked up in the Municipal building where immigration is located then that is the reason since a stop in that office is part of the plan.

careyeroslib

Aug 18, 2013, 8:37 AM

Post #37 of 121 (12497 views)

Shortcut

Re: [richmx2] Any News on How SRE is Handling Citizenship Requests?

| Private Reply
Sorry if I missed this information, but what is the name of the agency where one would go to get the information regarding one´s criminal record. (We´re not in Guadalajara so it´s a general question. We´re in Puerto Vallarta).

citlali

Aug 18, 2013, 10:17 AM

Post #38 of 121 (12467 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
You can go to the Forensic office and get the records. There is no line and the people there are very nice. I forgot what you need but bring your passport curo Immigration documents and your birth certificate you will get it for a small fee. If you are on the plaza in Chapala it is on the right handside of the mercado in that little pedestrian street on the right handside. You have a choice to have it certified by the main forensic office which is the first exit going towards Mexico or Tonala on Lazaro Cardenas. It is not required so I did not do it and it worked.
The documents cannot be picked up at the Municiapal building nor at the Immigration.

John Shrall

Aug 28, 2013, 4:11 PM

Post #39 of 121 (12330 views)

Shortcut

Re: [YucaLandia] Any News on How SRE is Handling Citizenship Requests?

| Private Reply
Trip report on the path to citizenship.

We spent the day in Guadalajara taking care of a few of the elements necessary to make application for citizenship. We're using a lawyer whom I think so far at least is worth his price.

The rules as stated here are 5 years on FM2 muddled somewhat by the transition to permanente leading to questions about what counts and what doesn't. We had 5 years so no problem here.

No more than 180 days out of the country in the last 24 months.

Names are important. You must have a recent birth certificate with apostille, all translated to Spanish. Names on birth certificate, passport and IMN visas must match exactly.

Federal and state criminal records are required.

We started at the Municipal building at 10:30 on the 4th floor. It's the same crowds and noise but this time we had an appointment with INM on the other side of the building where the lawyer presented our immigration information. We documented our travel with copies of passport pages showing outs and ins. We also included a copy of the last no inmigrante card showing refrendo 4 attempting to prove 5 years at this status. We signed the documents and were told that in a couple of weeks we'd have travel and residency confirmation from IMN to be included in our citizenship application. We signed power of attorney so the lawyer could retrieve the docs.

We went down to the first floor where you can get a criminal record document for Jalisco for $50 pesos needing an ID and a CURP number.

We then killed a little time and met back at the US consulate on Lopez Cotilla near Chaplutapec. The "American Services" window is open from 2-3pm. We arrived with affidavits about our names. I was born a Jr. but never used it legally so I had a letter saying my name without Jr. was my legal name. This was to make my birth certificate match passport and visa.

Women have maiden and married name issues. My wife presented an affidavit saying that she was the same person from her birth certificate to her passport and visa. The consulate actually provides only notary services so for $50US per document they added a cover page and stamped the hell out of the document making it look quite official.

The attorney arranged with someone to go to Mexico City and pick up the federal criminal record document.

We now wait for the travel and proof of residency to come back from IMN. That should take a couple of weeks. We're getting the English documents translated.

Once the either packet is ready we'll make an appointment with SRE with application in hand. If all is OK then we'll head to the bank to make payment and then we're in 6-9 month wait mode.

There is no test after 60 years of age and your Spanish language skills are tested at the time of application.

I've never used a facilitator in my 10 years playing the visa renewal game in Mexico. Since the documentation for citizenship is so important and knowledge of what is acceptable is essential, I can't see doing this by myself. Perhaps better stated is that I'm happy to pay someone for the knowledge I don't have.

citlali

Aug 29, 2013, 4:50 AM

Post #40 of 121 (12286 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
The funny part is that the attitude of the SRE at least in Guadalajara is far different from that of the Immigratioon Dept. They are helpful and for the people who speak Spanish and do not mind to take a trip to DF there is no need for a lawyer.
You just follow the instruction from the SRE site and then make an appointment with them thay will review all your papers and will advise you for free on what needs to be done.
There is no need to get the flux of entry and exit of the country if you have them all stamped in your passport for the previous couple of years. You only need to write a statement showing date of entries and exits.
The issues will come from name on papers not matching and for married women they will ask you uncer what name you want to be known and will tell you what options you have,
The name you want to take can be an ssue but you can work it out with the,. Once they tell you the papers are correct you can go an pay the fee and make an appointment with them to official give them the file.
No test if you are over 60
For people who speak Spanish , they can give free advice and directions from the people at the SRE so there is no need in my opinion for a lawyer.

I first got a lawyer but all the papers I was carrying to my appointment with him were stolen so I had to go through getting all my papers : I was left with nothing. no French or Mexican ID no paasepot , no birth certificate, no inmigrado card-nothing. It took me quite a while to get everything again.
After I got my papers again , the lawyer told me I did not need him so I did it by myself and he was right no need for a lawyer if you speak the language.

tashby

Aug 29, 2013, 8:45 AM

Post #41 of 121 (12254 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Thank you for the great, hugely informative post. It's so helpful I've copied it and printed it and put it in my file for the future. Mil gracias.

careyeroslib

Aug 29, 2013, 1:45 PM

Post #42 of 121 (12213 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tashby] Any News on How SRE is Handling Citizenship Requests?

| Private Reply
Yes, thanks cillali and John Shrall.

It´s interesting because. Since the new Migración law came into effect, I have no "Salida" stamps, only "Entrada" stamps in my passport. Presumably there is a computer record somewhere of "Salidas". (I have my own records, of course)-

citlali

Aug 29, 2013, 2:37 PM

Post #43 of 121 (12201 views)

Shortcut

Re: [careyeroslib] Any News on How SRE is Handling Citizenship Requests?

| Private Reply
I was missing a stamp but my letter was accepted and the man from SRE told me they would get the records from Immigration.
You can ask the immigration office on the 4th floor to give you a record. You need to ask in writing for the records for the last 2 years, it takes between one and two weeks for them to give it to you. If they are in a really good mood they could give it to you right away so try when you need it and maybe you will be lucky.

John Shrall

Sep 19, 2013, 11:35 AM

Post #44 of 121 (12042 views)

Shortcut

Re: [YucaLandia] Any News on How SRE is Handling Citizenship Requests?

| Private Reply
We had an appointment with SRE in Guadalajara this morning to drop off our applications for citizenship. We walked directly to a back room where 2 of the 3 employees sitting in that room worked with us concurrently. The entire process including payment of $3,950 pesos and fingerprinting took about an hour. SRE said the process was slow and not to expect results for at least 6 months.

They took the originals of the birth certificates and apostilles along with translations of these documents as well as the affidavits regarding our names we received at the US consulate.

No test was required and our lawyer was in the room with us the entire time although he really wasn't needed. He walked over to the bank to make payment and get copies. We didn't have any language test per se but we talked to the SRE representatives throughout the entire process.

We had the criminal records from Jalisco and DF along with the letter from IMN validating our travel. The lawyer presented a cover sheet documenting the exits and entrances for the last 2 years.

I asked about the residency requirements now that FM2's are gone and so it is impossible to get the 4.5 or 5 years required for citizenship. She said that the new law didn't specifically define the mixed FM2/Permanente time requirements but she was expecting clarification of the law in December.

In the mean time at least the Guadalajara office is counting FM2 and Permanente time. Since the first cards were not issued until early 2013 (we applied a week after the new law change in November and received ours in early February 2013), no one will have a full year on Permanente for several months.

The SRE people were far easier to deal with than those at INM and SAT. Perhaps it was the fact that we didn't have to wait in long lines the whole experience was more relaxed.

We are in the system and were given a user name and password to check the status. Everything was accepted so we had to pay our attorney half of his fee. He receives the other half when we receive our passports and voter ID cards next year.

We couldn't think of any reason we'd be turned down after our documents were accepted, paying the fee and getting fingerprinted so we're cautiously optimistic at this point.

esperanza

Sep 19, 2013, 12:00 PM

Post #45 of 121 (12036 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Excellent post about your application for citizenship, thank you.

For those who do not know, you do not automatically receive a passport and voter ID card when you receive citizenship. For a passport, you make application at an SRE passport office. For your voter ID card, you make application at an IFE office.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

John Shrall

Sep 19, 2013, 2:51 PM

Post #46 of 121 (12005 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Any News on How SRE is Handling Citizenship Requests?

| Private Reply
I understood from the lawyer that at the end of the 6-8 month wait period we would receive a Mexican passport and voter ID card. We submitted 4 - 25mm x 35mm passport photos one of which was glued to our application. I emailed him for clarification and will post his response.

He told us that when we next go to SRE we will turn in our Permanente cards and exchange them for Mexican citizenship as we cannot be both foreigner and citizen at the same time.

On the subject of using an attorney I would like to say that the person we used was very professional, prompt and seemed to be accurate meeting all the SRE requirements. He knew all 3 people in the SRE office by first name and while we didn't need him to help us in any translations, he was there if we needed him.

I don't think we could have gotten everything together as quickly as we did without his support and he saved us a trip to DF by having someone else get the federal criminal report.I sent the introductory email on August 9 with our first meeting on August 16. We probably could have had the SRE meeting last week but we were at the beach.

One other note of interest from the meeting was that he said we were very lucky to have a copy of our last FM2 with the words Refrendo 4 on the back. I didn't quiz him further but I gathered it would have been a lot more time consuming or worse to prove residency without it.

The suggestion for everyone is to always scan both sides of your immigration card just in case you need it in the future.

Maesonna

Sep 19, 2013, 4:52 PM

Post #47 of 121 (11986 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
I expect the lawyer means that guiding you through the application for Mexican passport and IFE voter card is part of the service he’s offering you. The IFE card is free, but the Mexican passport has a fee.

tashby

Sep 19, 2013, 7:26 PM

Post #48 of 121 (11955 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Great and informative post, thanks. Are you willing to post your lawyer's contact info? And if not, could you send it privately by pm? I'd like to put it in my file for future reference. We live in the same area.

Congrats and good luck.

(This post was edited by tashby on Sep 19, 2013, 7:29 PM)

CozICan

Sep 19, 2013, 8:33 PM

Post #49 of 121 (11939 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
John... Thank you for such detailed information regarding acquiring Mexican Citizenship. This may come in very handy for me in 2 years.

Thanks again,

CozICan

esperanza

Sep 19, 2013, 9:11 PM

Post #50 of 121 (11931 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
When your citizenship is granted, you will receive a Carta de Naturalización. This document is as important as your birth certificate, your marriage license, and all other legal documents. I keep mine very safe. It occurred to me to have it framed for hanging on the wall, but over the years, there have been many instances when I have needed to take it to this or that government office: for example, you must take it with you to IFE to apply for your voter ID card. I also needed mine to get married. There have also been several other times I have had to show it to this or that official.

Mexican passport costs:
[urlhttp://www.sre.gob.mx/index.php/pago-de-derechos-de-pasaporte

Note that if you are over 60, the cost of your passport is 50% less than if you are under 60.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

(This post was edited by esperanza on Sep 19, 2013, 9:17 PM)
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4